Midseason Top 20 coming soon

Heads22

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
I'll give you guys a clue. I don't think Jason wanted Boone Logan on the list at all, but he made it.

Cerb you forgot Rogo on the premise that our system is REALLY bad.

I left Rogo out so you could plug in a guy from the DSL so it looks like we might actually know something. :(

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
I may be showing my ignorance here, but is that a problem?

I just meant as opposed to hitting for power. His slugging pct. has been pretty poor, and he projects as a corner outfielde, so it's a concern. His HR total for this year equals his career total coming in, so maybe he is developing some power. But it could also be Charlotte's park.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
I can't even think of or find 20 prospects in our system that I would want to rank. I tried to make a list, but I had too many 23 year olds in A ball on my list, so I gave up. Pretty scary how raw and thin our talent level is right now.

We were pretty close to cutting the list off after 5.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
I can't even think of or find 20 prospects in our system that I would want to rank. I tried to make a list, but I had too many 23 year olds in A ball on my list, so I gave up. Pretty scary how raw and thin our talent level is right now.

That's exactly the problem. It's a choice between high talent/low performance and limited talent/higher performance.

Actually I came up with 20 fairly easily although it was tough to get to 25. Now of course some (many?) of these guys won't have long major league careers but they are all guys who have a decent chance of making the big leagues. Whether it's with the White Sox is another story. In no particular order:

Josh Fields, 3B

Jerry Owens, LF

Casey Rogowski, 1B

Chris Stewart, C

Ryan Sweeney, OF

Charlie Haeger, RHP

Boone Logan, LHP

Sean Tracey, RHP

Chris Getz, 2B

Lance Broadway, RHP

Lucas Harrell, RHP

Adam Russell, RHP

Wes Whisler, LHP

Donny Lucy, C

Jack Egbert, RHP

Kyle McCulloch, RHP

Oneli Perez, RHP

Aaron Cunningham, OF

Ricky Brooks, RHP

Brian Omogrosso, RHP

Two other guys to keep an eye on who are turning some heads at low levels ... OF Archie Gilbert at Great Falls and a very young SS in their Dominican Summer league team by the name of Migeul Luna.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
How old is Logan Williamson in Great Falls? He seems to be doing pretty good but I dont know how old he is if it really matters...

Logan Williamson is 21 years old, and has been pitching in Kanny with a 5.02 in 13 relief appearances.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 03:00 AM)
How old is Logan Williamson in Great Falls? He seems to be doing pretty good but I dont know how old he is if it really matters...

Well, he has been in the organization for 3 years and is back in rookie league now, so unless he has a Boone Logan type turnaround, I don't see him doing much.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Somewhat OT, but anyway Sweeney might be ready to take a shot in LF for the big club next year, whether it be in April or maybe July if we made a trade that opened up a spot for him? Just curious, i'm not the expert that the people here are so I figured it was a good spot to ask.

I would like to see him up next year but that is just me.

Actually I came up with 20 fairly easily although it was tough to get to 25. Now of course some (many?) of these guys won't have long major league careers but they are all guys who have a decent chance of making the big leagues. Whether it's with the White Sox is another story. In no particular order:

Josh Fields, 3B

Jerry Owens, LF

Casey Rogowski, 1B

Chris Stewart, C

Ryan Sweeney, OF

Charlie Haeger, RHP

Boone Logan, LHP

Sean Tracey, RHP

Chris Getz, 2B

Lance Broadway, RHP

Lucas Harrell, RHP

Adam Russell, RHP

Wes Whisler, LHP

Donny Lucy, C

Jack Egbert, RHP

Kyle McCulloch, RHP

Oneli Perez, RHP

Aaron Cunningham, OF

Ricky Brooks, RHP

Brian Omogrosso, RHP

Two other guys to keep an eye on who are turning some heads at low levels ... OF Archie Gilbert at Great Falls and a very young SS in their Dominican Summer league team by the name of Migeul Luna.

[/quote

What happened to Robert Valido?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
Somewhat OT, but anyway Sweeney might be ready to take a shot in LF for the big club next year, whether it be in April or maybe July if we made a trade that opened up a spot for him? Just curious, i'm not the expert that the people here are so I figured it was a good spot to ask.

Well, the question would become what spot to open up for him. RF is where i believe he's spent most of his time, and while the person the big league club has in RF is a Free Agent after 2007...I'm not sure we want to deal Dye. Although, if we were looking to make a big move next year and someone was offering up pitching for a big bat...I wouldn't rule it out.

Anderson...He's not moving.

In LF, we have Podsednik, and while it'd make sense to upgrade there, Sweeney doesn't seem like he'd fit very well in the leadoff spot for us. Rookie, higher strikeouts than we'd probalby want, very few stolen bases thus far. It worked for Sizemore yeah, but Sizemore had 4 full years in the minors before coming up, and had a higher OBP in the minors as well.

Unless someone offers a ton for Dye, I'd say Sweeney pencils in for RF in 08.

Balta; I believe that Sweeney has actually spent a majority of this year playing LF/CF, although I could be wrong.

I'm interested to see where you guys will have Boone Logan. After getting sent back down to Charlotte, he was still getting killed by AAA hitters. As of a month or two ago, however, he's been dominant. Look at his peripherals; 45 Ks in just over 32 IP, and just 27 hits allowed. Here's a first-hand account from a poster at SouthSideSox of Logan pitching last night:

But the highlight of the game was Boone Logan. Entering in the 9th with a one-run lead, he got a weak hitter to pop up and then struck out Darnell McDonald and Delmon Young in a quite nasty fashion. Young in particular, who is batting .335, swung and missed three times on what appeared to be sliders down and in and wasn't even close to making contact. I'm coming around on ol' Boone. He should never have been in Chicago to start the year, but the kid is still a prospect.
Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
Balta; I believe that Sweeney has actually spent a majority of this year playing LF/CF, although I could be wrong.

He's played mostly RF and CF with what looks like 12-15 games in LF. I'm judging this based on his ABs by position in his splits so it's not an exact science.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
He's played mostly RF and CF with what looks like 12-15 games in LF. I'm judging this based on his ABs by position in his splits so it's not an exact science.

Yeah, you and Balta were correct, I was wrong.

Sweeney has had 160 ABs as a RFer, 151 ABs as a CFer, and 49 ABs as a left fielder.

BTW, bringing up Boone Logan again, he was absolutely dominant in July. 14 IP, 22 Ks-to-4 BBs, and only six hits allowed. The OPS against him that month? .403!

The list should be released pretty soon. Maybe I can talk Jason into revealing the list on the next Soxtalk podcast and getting it up soon.

BTW, the 4 of us stood differently on Boone. I was probably the highest on him of anybody.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
The list should be released pretty soon. Maybe I can talk Jason into revealing the list on the next Soxtalk podcast and getting it up soon.

BTW, the 4 of us stood differently on Boone. I was probably the highest on him of anybody.

Great to hear. As for Sweeney in LF next year, I think it's a matter of whether we think he needs another year in the minors or not. I think if we think he's ready, you might see him in LF next year, but if not we might just wait until Dye is gone, give Sweeney more seasoning, and put him in RF in 2008. I can't wait to see him either way, and there will be spots opening up for him to get a shot at playing everyday.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)

We should have just stopped at 5, then we would not have this contreversy.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)

Josh Fields, 3B

Jerry Owens, LF

Casey Rogowski, 1B

Chris Stewart, C

Ryan Sweeney, OF

Charlie Haeger, RHP

Boone Logan, LHP

Sean Tracey, RHP

Chris Getz, 2B

Lance Broadway, RHP

Lucas Harrell, RHP

Adam Russell, RHP

Wes Whisler, LHP

Donny Lucy, C

Jack Egbert, RHP

Kyle McCulloch, RHP

Oneli Perez, RHP

Aaron Cunningham, OF

Ricky Brooks, RHP

Brian Omogrosso, RHP

That is a good list. It is hard to find 20 deserving prospects in such a thin system. I am not sure if I would include Lucy on that list. A 24 year old "prospect" putting up mediocre numbers(.262/7/31 .726 OPS 14 errors) in high A ball shouldn't be on a top 20 list, especially when he has never put up good numbers at any level. I think there are some guys that you are forgeting that should definately be on that list as well. Pedro Lopez(SS) is putting together a nice season since being demoted to AA(.322/4/26 .822 OPS). He is still only 22 years old and might make a decent utility infielder in the future. Hernandez(P) is another guy that certainly belongs on the list. He is a reliever so he doesn't get much attention, but he has dominated since day 1 of pro ball. He is putting up another solid year in high A ball(54 IP 44 H 26 BB 68 SO 2.17 ERA) and at 22 is right where he should be on the progression track. You also seem to ignore highly thought of prospects that have struggled this season. Liotta(P), Rodriguez(P), Valido(SS), Hernandez©, and Gomes(OF) should also get some consideration despite their struggles this season. Finally, I would put Carter(3B) on that list as well despite the fact that it is hard to project guys in rookie ball(especially after struggling in A ball earlier). This just goes to show how weak the Sox system truely is. Good luck trying to rank these guys.

That is a good list. It is hard to find 20 deserving prospects in such a thin system. I am not sure if I would include Lucy on that list. A 24 year old "prospect" putting up mediocre numbers(.262/7/31 .726 OPS 14 errors) in high A ball shouldn't be on a top 20 list, especially when he has never put up good numbers at any level. I think there are some guys that you are forgeting that should definately be on that list as well. Pedro Lopez(SS) is putting together a nice season since being demoted to AA(.322/4/26 .822 OPS). He is still only 22 years old and might make a decent utility infielder in the future. Hernandez(P) is another guy that certainly belongs on the list. He is a reliever so he doesn't get much attention, but he has dominated since day 1 of pro ball. He is putting up another solid year in high A ball(54 IP 44 H 26 BB 68 SO 2.17 ERA) and at 22 is right where he should be on the progression track. You also seem to ignore highly thought of prospects that have struggled this season. Liotta(P), Rodriguez(P), Valido(SS), Hernandez©, and Gomes(OF) should also get some consideration despite their struggles this season. Finally, I would put Carter(3B) on that list as well despite the fact that it is hard to project guys in rookie ball(especially after struggling in A ball earlier). This just goes to show how weak the Sox system truely is. Good luck trying to rank these guys.

That's pretty crazy, I could have made that exact post, almost word for word. Nice thoughts. :cheers