Midseason Top 20 coming soon

Heads22

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
So when are we finally going to be able to see this list?

The articles will be up within the week. We're almost done. They have to be out before next Friday because I go back to college then and I won't be able to post them after that.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 07:26 PM)
That is a good list. It is hard to find 20 deserving prospects in such a thin system. I am not sure if I would include Lucy on that list. A 24 year old "prospect" putting up mediocre numbers(.262/7/31 .726 OPS 14 errors) in high A ball shouldn't be on a top 20 list, especially when he has never put up good numbers at any level. I think there are some guys that you are forgeting that should definately be on that list as well. Pedro Lopez(SS) is putting together a nice season since being demoted to AA(.322/4/26 .822 OPS). He is still only 22 years old and might make a decent utility infielder in the future. Hernandez(P) is another guy that certainly belongs on the list. He is a reliever so he doesn't get much attention, but he has dominated since day 1 of pro ball. He is putting up another solid year in high A ball(54 IP 44 H 26 BB 68 SO 2.17 ERA) and at 22 is right where he should be on the progression track. You also seem to ignore highly thought of prospects that have struggled this season. Liotta(P), Rodriguez(P), Valido(SS), Hernandez©, and Gomes(OF) should also get some consideration despite their struggles this season. Finally, I would put Carter(3B) on that list as well despite the fact that it is hard to project guys in rookie ball(especially after struggling in A ball earlier). This just goes to show how weak the Sox system truely is. Good luck trying to rank these guys.

This is the problem we had. We had a hard time picking the list. Considering the difficulty and controversy on the list this time around we decided to defend ourselves in the written descriptions. Hopefully it explains a bit of why we put certain guys in certain spots. I'll tell you we had McCulloch at 4 and in previous years we never would have dreamed of putting a recent draft pick in the top 5. Broadway got 5 in the preseason list, but that was after success with Winston-Salem and the system was already pretty thin with the offseason trades.

Lucy didn't make our list due to the same reasons you said. He was considered but quickly shot down.

I personally wanted Lopez considering defensive skills, age, and production at AA. We disagreed, as with most players, and he was a few off the list. If we all liked a prospect of ours he was in the top 5, but as has been mentioned there aren't more than 5 guys we all liked.

Hernandez is pushing it as relievers better absolutely dominate in the lower levels in order to get consideration. Oneli Perez was mentioned in the same vein, but age went against him.

Liotta was firmly on the list, again some of us wanted him higher than he ended up (mostly me). Ryan Rodriguez has never been on our prospect lists so he wasn't going to be put on a list after a bad half year.

Valido was a tough one. Personally, I've never liked him, but don't know where he sits at health wise, etc. What's going on with him this year? The question marks really dropped him off the list.

Hernandez and Gomes were a case of us getting fed up with talents getting highly rated and not performing. Hernandez hasn't hit past rookie ball and maybe should have made the list, but we were down on the Phil Rogers hype machine (Salvador Sanchez lol). Gomes has had a bad year, there's no reason he should be on the list with 0 professional production, at least Hernandez hit rookie ball and is a catcher.

Finally, Carter made the list pretty highly. It's almost contradictory to have Carter in the middle of the list and have Hernandez not on the list. Both succeeded at rookie ball and neither has proven himself at Kanny. The difference is Carter is a power hitter and hasn't failed in the full season at Kanny like Hernandez is doing this year. Power potential plays well on our lists as we even gave Collaro a spot towards the bottom.

Hopefully that answers your questions lol, that ended up being longer than I intended. Nothing like watching Contreras pitching a gem to make time fly. :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 03:03 AM)
The articles will be up within the week. We're almost done. They have to be out before next Friday because I go back to college then and I won't be able to post them after that.

This is the problem we had. We had a hard time picking the list. Considering the difficulty and controversy on the list this time around we decided to defend ourselves in the written descriptions. Hopefully it explains a bit of why we put certain guys in certain spots. I'll tell you we had McCulloch at 4 and in previous years we never would have dreamed of putting a recent draft pick in the top 5. Broadway got 5 in the preseason list, but that was after success with Winston-Salem and the system was already pretty thin with the offseason trades.

Lucy didn't make our list due to the same reasons you said. He was considered but quickly shot down.

I personally wanted Lopez considering defensive skills, age, and production at AA. We disagreed, as with most players, and he was a few off the list. If we all liked a prospect of ours he was in the top 5, but as has been mentioned there aren't more than 5 guys we all liked.

Hernandez is pushing it as relievers better absolutely dominate in the lower levels in order to get consideration. Oneli Perez was mentioned in the same vein, but age went against him.

Liotta was firmly on the list, again some of us wanted him higher than he ended up (mostly me). Ryan Rodriguez has never been on our prospect lists so he wasn't going to be put on a list after a bad half year.

Valido was a tough one. Personally, I've never liked him, but don't know where he sits at health wise, etc. What's going on with him this year? The question marks really dropped him off the list.

Hernandez and Gomes were a case of us getting fed up with talents getting highly rated and not performing. Hernandez hasn't hit past rookie ball and maybe should have made the list, but we were down on the Phil Rogers hype machine (Salvador Sanchez lol). Gomes has had a bad year, there's no reason he should be on the list with 0 professional production, at least Hernandez hit rookie ball and is a catcher.

Finally, Carter made the list pretty highly. It's almost contradictory to have Carter in the middle of the list and have Hernandez not on the list. Both succeeded at rookie ball and neither has proven himself at Kanny. The difference is Carter is a power hitter and hasn't failed in the full season at Kanny like Hernandez is doing this year. Power potential plays well on our lists as we even gave Collaro a spot towards the bottom.

Hopefully that answers your questions lol, that ended up being longer than I intended. Nothing like watching Contreras pitching a gem to make time fly. :D

Let me start out by saying that I don't envy you guys when it comes to putting together this list, especially with such a dry minor league system. Also, I have only seen a handful of these prospects play in person, and a lot of my knowledge is based on stats and scouting reports. I also understand that people consider certain skills/abilities more important than others. With that said, I do have to disagree with the list in a couple of areas.

Lopez - with the Sox weak system he should almost certainly be on the list. He has shown the ability to hit for a solid average and put the ball into play in the past. He was rushed a bit through the system(shouldn't have been in AAA at twenty-one last season) and was a little overmatched, but he has settled in nicely at AA and is having a very good year. He will never be a good everyday middle infielder, but he certainly has a chance to be a solid pesky utility infielder(Cario type player).

Hernandez - once again I understand that most people don't take minor league relievers seriously, but in a weak system like the Sox he has to be on the list. He has a plus arm and is putting up excellent peripheral numbers for the second straight year. At twenty-two he is right where he should be on the progression chart for a good prospect.

Rodriguez - I will admit that I am a Rodriguez fan. Before his arm injury, he had some of the best pure stuff in the system. He had an excellent second half of last year which should have put him on the radar for good prospect status, especially when you consider the time frame needed to recover from an injury. I was a little disappointed by his season since I was hoping that he would build on his strong finish last year. I can understand why he wasn't on the list, but you guys should keep an eye on this guy. Not sure about his stuff after the injury, but before it he was a lefty consistantly in the low 90's, with a plus breaking ball(curve), good command, and a great groundball/flyball ratio.

Valido - coming into this season I thought he was the most important prospect in the Sox system. He has great potential, had a very good season last year, and is really the Sox only true middle infield prospect. I wouldn't blame you guys for keeping him off the list considering the season he has had, but I don't think the Sox should completely give up on him.

Hernandez - is a tough case, but based on rookie ball success(which shouldn't count for much), weakness of the system, position, age, and OK numbers at low A ball I think he should be towards the bottom of the list.

Gomes - I can understand him being left off, although he has had a little better luck in low A ball.

Collaro - there is no reason why this guy should be on the list. He shouldn't even be on a top 50 list. Come on guys. Have you seen his numbers at AA this season. They are sickening. Sure he has some power potential, but he has never hit for average and has struck out at an alarming rate at every stop. Guys like him have almost no chance of sticking in the big leagues. A guy like Lopez is ten times more likely to make it in the majors then Collaro. I personally think it is a mistake to have him on the list, especially ahead of most of the guys listed above that aren't on the list. I think you guys put way too much emphasize on power, and not enough on the ability to make contact, plate disipline, or the ability to hit for average.

Thats just my two cents. Remember that I am far from an expert and sympathize with you when trying to put together such a list.

All good points, most of which I agree with. Basically the only differences are Lopez, Collaro, and the Hernandez's. I can live with that. Don't forget that Collaro hit 29 HR and 100 RBI last year. He never got enough credit for that. I stated my case on the rest of them.

My personal Top 20 would look something like this:

1) Fields

2) Sweeney

3) Broadway

4) Whisler

5) Tracey

6) Cunningham

7) McCulloch

8) Russell

9) Logan

10) Harrell

11) Stewart

12) Haeger

13) Carter

14) Getz

15) Liotta

16) Omogrosso

17) Owens

18) Phillips

19) Lopez

20) Cassel

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
Collaro - there is no reason why this guy should be on the list. He shouldn't even be on a top 50 list. Come on guys. Have you seen his numbers at AA this season. They are sickening. Sure he has some power potential, but he has never hit for average and has struck out at an alarming rate at every stop. Guys like him have almost no chance of sticking in the big leagues. A guy like Lopez is ten times more likely to make it in the majors then Collaro. I personally think it is a mistake to have him on the list, especially ahead of most of the guys listed above that aren't on the list. I think you guys put way too much emphasize on power, and not enough on the ability to make contact, plate disipline, or the ability to hit for average.

:headbang Preach on.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Where do you guys put Clayton Richard at if at all?

He was considered, but missed out. He'd probably be in the 21-25 range if we went that far. He's 22 in low A ball with mediocre results, I'm not thrilled.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
He was considered, but missed out. He'd probably be in the 21-25 range if we went that far. He's 22 in low A ball with mediocre results, I'm not thrilled.

On the other side, I'm a fan of Richard. Good arm, little old but thats because he was a collegiate player and is a bit more raw than the typical college guy.

However, I was impressed when I saw him pitch.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
Aside from Brandon Allen and Vernon Carter he has more power potential than anyone in the system.

I don't care how much power potential a guy has when he strikes out almost once every three AB and has a career minor league BA under two-fifty(including this season).

danman, that list looks almost identical to a list I would put together(few minor changes here and there). It appears that we aren't too much different in our thinking. The only difference is that I would probably have Hernandez(P) over Omogrosso simple because he has shown two years of success and better peripherals. Cassel is a guy that I didn't mention who I am going to keep an eye on.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
I don't care how much power potential a guy has when he strikes out almost once every three AB and has a career minor league BA under two-fifty(including this season).

danman, that list looks almost identical to a list I would put together(few minor changes here and there). It appears that we aren't too much different in our thinking. The only difference is that I would probably have Hernandez(P) over Omogrosso simple because he has shown two years of success and better peripherals. Cassel is a guy that I didn't mention who I am going to keep an eye on.

One problem...Omogrosso's arm is in a whole nother league when compared to Hernandez. With Collaro this guy has serious power. Sure he may be a Russell Branyan but his swing has gotten shorter every season and he's really made strides as the season has went on in Bham.

The kid is willing to learn and plenty of organizations would like to have a guy with his power potential (obviously he has plenty of holes in his game though, but so does pretty much every prospect in the Sox system).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
Tonight showed why he's still got a ways to go.

I'm not saying top 10 Alex, but he at least has to be considered in the top 20. His numbers before tonight were just plain sick, and that was only like his 4th or 5th start. He's mostly been a reliever. And I shouldn't even point out that he just turned 20 this year. His numbers as a reliever are damn good even though he does struggle as a starter. He still should be on the list, maybe top 15.

And you all will be sorry when you forget the name of the mighty Joseph Hunter.. :P

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
I'm not saying top 10 Alex, but he at least has to be considered in the top 20. His numbers before tonight were just plain sick, and that was only like his 4th or 5th start. He's mostly been a reliever. And I shouldn't even point out that he just turned 20 this year. His numbers as a reliever are damn good even though he does struggle as a starter. He still should be on the list, maybe top 15.

And you all will be sorry when you forget the name of the mighty Joseph Hunter.. :P

Hunter is a damn good athlete. Problem is we pretty much make it a point to ignore recent draft picks from the list because they are so unproven. You really have no idea how a player is going to come so we like to give them a half season under the belts before putting them on the lists.

The only real exception is McCulloch because he's a top round pick, is producing, and quite frankly our system stinks. Our 2007 preseaosn list will be much different than this list if I had to guess.

Cassell

Omogrosso

Hunter

Matt Long (if he figures things out)

Texiera or whatever his name is

Plenty of others

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Ever since a rough start Omogrosso has been lights out.

Heck, even Enuco has been on fire lately. :P

Omogrosso is kicking complete ass. He got rocked early and is unhittable now. The guy has a great arm and will look real good in our pen in a years time. This guy will be a QUICK mover.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Omogrosso is kicking complete ass. He got rocked early and is unhittable now. The guy has a great arm and will look real good in our pen in a years time. This guy will be a QUICK mover.

Well, it's the FS reverse jinx. :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
Well, it's the FS reverse jinx. :P

Ya, everyone we interview sucks or gets traded immediately after, but they eventually turn things around and kick butt (or so I hope).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
Omogrosso will definitely be a fan favorite if he ever makes it to Chicago just cause of his name.

I'm interested to see where you guys have Wes on your list considering I know Gage has never liked him.

He actually is a lot higher than some would think...I think he's ahead of a once highly touted lefty pitching prospect that is ranked lower than Dan would like (Liotta).

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)

Rice has great numbers and 20 is the right age for Kanny. However, he has control concerns. All that said, I find it hard to consider minor league relievers prospects until they succeed in AA. How many times have we seen guys dominate the minors as relievers and then struggle in the bigs? If Rice is going to be a starter, and show success as a starter, he'll find himself on one of our lists soon enough.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
He actually is a lot higher than some would think...I think he's ahead of a once highly touted lefty pitching prospect that is ranked lower than Dan would like (Liotta).

As of now I would probably rate Whisler ahead of Liotta, but I'm still not sold on Russell being ahead of Liotta. At this point I'm just going to post my own list so I can take my name off the FutureSox one lol.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
Rice has great numbers and 20 is the right age for Kanny. However, he has control concerns. All that said, I find it hard to consider minor league relievers prospects until they succeed in AA. How many times have we seen guys dominate the minors as relievers and then struggle in the bigs? If Rice is going to be a starter, and show success as a starter, he'll find himself on one of our lists soon enough.

As of now I would probably rate Whisler ahead of Liotta, but I'm still not sold on Russell being ahead of Liotta. At this point I'm just going to post my own list so I can take my name off the FutureSox one lol.

I'd still rate Liotta ahead of Russell too. So you're not alone dan. :P