2006 FAs

My Dixie Normus

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
What kind of deal is Matthews looking at this offseason? And who is his agent?

No one likes GM Jr. more than me, but he's going to make himself far too much money for basically a one year phenom. Some team will give him a lot of money to be their CF for the next 4 years. He would be a nice fit with the Astros, as they need some more speed and Taveras will likely be traded.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
Rumor in today's Trib is that Aramis Ramirez will use an option in his contract and opt out of the last two years of his deal to test the free agent market after this season.

The Angels are definitely waiting to grab Aramis if he becomes a FA.

Why do I get the feeling that Zito and/or Oswalt are going to be Yankees next year?

"We plan absentee ownership. We’re not going to pretend we’re something we’re not. I’ll stick to building ships."

- Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, 1973

I would love Matthews do be roaming LF for the Sox next year.

If Juans defense starts to fade, he should be moved. He is too streaky a hitter to be paid this much.

Juan Uribe ss

05:$2.15M,

06:$3.15M,

07:$4.15M,

08:$5M club option ($0.3M buyout)

Edited by My Dixie Normus

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
Why do I get the feeling that Zito and/or Oswalt are going to be Yankees next year?

Zito is set up perfectly to wind up on one of the NY teams, with Boras as his agent and still decent but not spectacular numbers. But there will, IMO, be a lot of teams shooting for him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals, the Rangers, and maybe the BoSox or Blue Jays threw their hats at him as well.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
What is the Yankees' current payroll? And how much money do they have coming off of the books after this year?

$198,662,180 now, I think including Abreu.

Sheffield definately ends this season, has an option that won't be picked up (12 million). I believe they have an option on Rivera as well, but he ain't movin'. Posada has an option for next year also, I think they'll hold onto him, but he's paid more than he's worth for the numbers he puts up (12 million). Octavio Dotel's deal ends this year. Bernie Williams is on a 1 year deal I believe. There's probably a few guys in their bullpen who are on one year deals, or some of their backups, but nothing really big beyond Sheffield.

Who was Jose' agent? I vaguely remember a story about his agent never passing on the extension offer the Sox made this spring. It only came up when Kenny and Jose were talking casually one day late in camp. Jose was shocked to hear that an offer was made and all but literally signed it on the spot with Kenny in the parking lot in Tuscon. His (Former?) agent had never presented it to him and he was heart broken that he might not return after this season. He loves Chicago and has been very happy. He wanted to stay and I would say the feeling was mutual.

Anyone remember this? Or do I have vivid dreams?

Gary Matthews... Ick.

His stats this year just scream "FLUKE!". His career best OPS coming into this season was .811; this year, he's at .882. That .882 number is also over 130 points above his career average. He turns 32 in less than a month, and -- I'll be damned! -- it's a contract year.

Yeah... let the Cubs throw $20 million (at least) to this guy.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
If it's true, we can blame Jose's agent for KW acquiring Vazquez.

I now hate this man.

It's true. I posted the story here initially when it came out, and I've posted it a couple of times since then, too!

I thought it was incredible that that agent nearly did that to Jose, and that Jose signed on the spot. I'm tempted to say that Jose is one of the few players I can think of, offhand, that would simply say, "Just don't make me starve," in terms of money, "Because I'm just happy to be here."

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
If it's true, we can blame Jose's agent for KW acquiring Vazquez.

I now hate this man.

I remember that. It broke the day Contreras signed his extension. The guy thought Jose should wait and he'd get more money at the end of this season(which isn't a bad plan), but he never presented or asked Jose about it.

Personally for FA, I'd like to trade Buehrle for Oswalt, sign Alex Gonzalez(his defense is always there and he never takes bad offense out there into the field with him) and sign Mulder/Zito. Trade Vaz or Garcia for Scott Linebrink, and sign Rheal Cormier.

Rotation:

R - Oswalt

R - Contreras

L - Mulder/Zito

R - McCarthy

R - Vazquez/Garcia

Bullpen:

Rheal Cormier

Scott Linebrink

Mike MacDougal

Neal Cotts

Matt Thornton

Closer:

Bobby Jenks

Lineup:

LF - Podsednik

2B - Iguchi

DH - Thome

1B - Konerko

RF - Dye

3B - Crede

C - Pierzynski

SS - Gonzalez

CF - Andersen

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Personally for FA, I'd like to trade Buehrle for Oswalt, sign Alex Gonzalez(his defense is always there and he never takes bad offense out there into the field with him) and sign Mulder/Zito. Trade Vaz or Garcia for Scott Linebrink, and sign Rheal Cormier.

That sounds like a whole lot of moves to me. Probably too many.

Just looked, and I can't believe Gonzalez is batting .284. That is much higher than his career average. I don't really want him.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
I remember that. It broke the day Contreras signed his extension. The guy thought Jose should wait and he'd get more money at the end of this season(which isn't a bad plan), but he never presented or asked Jose about it.

Rotation:

R - Oswalt

R - Contreras

L - Mulder/Zito

R - McCarthy

R - Vazquez/Garcia

Bullpen:

Rheal Cormier

Scott Linebrink

Mike MacDougal

Neal Cotts

Matt Thornton

Closer:

Bobby Jenks

Lineup:

LF - Podsednik

2B - Iguchi

DH - Thome

1B - Konerko

RF - Dye

3B - Crede

C - Pierzynski

SS - Gonzalez

CF - Andersen

There's no way the Sox add BOTH Oswalt and Zito. Nor do I think Juan Uribe is going anywhere.

If anything happens in the rotation it's going to be the exit of Garcia and or Vazquez. Insert McCarthy and if we were on Xbox, insert Oswalt. But he ain't going anywhere either.

1. Contreras

2. Buehrle

3. Garland

4. McCarthy

5. ???

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
Excellent, another player to stick in front of their kids that they won't trade!

Ramirez is the perfect fit. I got things all planned out for the off-season.

Howie Kendrick will move to 2nd, SS will be Cabrerra, Morales will play 1st or DH (DH if they can find a taker for Anderson) with Ramirez (or Tejada) playing 3rd base.

With the infield set, they'll use Maicer Itzuris as the super platoon player (and a damn good one at that) while giving Wood the extra year he will need in the minors (Aybar probably become trade bait). The outfield will look like Rivera/Figgins (everyday CFer and with time he should turn into a pretty damn solid one. The only reason he stinks now is cause of his reads and thats because he plays all over the place; otherwise he has a good arm and tremendous range) with Vladdy in RF.

Oh and Napoli and Mathis will probably be the catching duo.

Rotation: Pretty much the same as this year, pen relatively the same.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
There's no way the Sox add BOTH Oswalt and Zito. Nor do I think Juan Uribe is going anywhere.

If anything happens in the rotation it's going to be the exit of Garcia and or Vazquez. Insert McCarthy and if we were on Xbox, insert Oswalt. But he ain't going anywhere either.

1. Contreras

2. Buehrle

3. Garland

4. McCarthy

5. ???

Rheal Cormeal or however you spell it just signed a one year extension when he was traded to the Reds (it was part of the deal according to Jayson Stark).

The problem with your Angels plan is that I count 3 players who still don't have positions in their IF. Casey Kotchman, Dallas McPherson, and Brandon Wood. Yes, Wood is another year away in my opinion also, but Cabrera is also signed for 2 more years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
The problem with your Angels plan is that I count 3 players who still don't have positions in their IF. Casey Kotchman, Dallas McPherson, and Brandon Wood. Yes, Wood is another year away in my opinion also, but Cabrera is also signed for 2 more years.

Well they could always trade Cabrera in next year's offseason.... As for the other 2 I think both of them pretty much flopped in the big leagues especially McPherson... so I wouldnt go out of my way in trying to stick them in the lineup. But if they trade GA which they should one of them could DH.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)

Wood is a year away and I wouldn't move Cabrera for Wood. I realize a lot of people around here don't like Cabrerra, but I watch the Angels play day in day out and go to probably 35 games a year and all I can say is Cabrerra (this year) is about as good of a shortstop as there is in baseball. He can hit, run, field, and is damn smart on the base paths. He also has a tremendous attitude and is one of the leaders in the Angels clubhouse.

Oh, Kocman and McPherson are both toast in my opinion and I think we'll see the Angels move a few of those guys (McPherson or Kochman may stick around on the bench though and provide some much needed depth). I'm not too concerned because Kochman isn't what the Angels need (Morales should be out there).

However, if they can move Anderson, one more roster spot opens up for one of those bats.

I should note I see no reason to make room for McPherson (who I think is a great prospect, but bottom line, his injuries have became a trend and the Halo's would be a fool to hand him any job).