Uribe Benched for "Lack of Intensity"?

LVSoxFan

wow.....just still blows me away how a team, this team, who had so much promise to repeat, who was FLAT OUT RUNNING AWAY with the division and wild card spot along with Detroit, has sunken into such misery........all the staples of last year that brought them their identity, are gone, and once you get to the point of players being benched for lack of effort, you know you're hitting bottom.....how I ask how did this happen?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
wow.....just still blows me away how a team, this team, who had so much promise to repeat, who was FLAT OUT RUNNING AWAY with the division and wild card spot along with Detroit, has sunken into such misery........all the staples of last year that brought them their identity, are gone, and once you get to the point of players being benched for lack of effort, you know you're hitting bottom.....how I ask how did this happen?

When was the last repeat? If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.

hey man... were still in it. And if we make the playoffs we have as good of chance as anyone to win. If Buehrle turned a page in KC and than with Garland and Contreras being solid.... with our offense we definitely on road to recovery. Just need at least one of Vazquez/Garcia to get their spiff together and we will be rolling.

Listen the RedSox would of lost to the Royals w/out Ortiz/Manny so dont worry 2 much about losing to them when we lost both our big hitters and possibly our worse pitcher on the hill.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:07 AM)
When was the last repeat? If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Someone had a stat on that a little while ago. They had the percentages of teams repeating and the stats for teams returning to the WS in consecutive years. From what I remember, the percentages were actually higher than you'd think.

It's not nearly as rare as you might think.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
Someone had a stat on that a little while ago. They had the percentages of teams repeating and the stats for teams returning to the WS in consecutive years. From what I remember, the percentages were actually higher than you'd think.

It's not nearly as rare as you might think.

The numbers were also seriously skewed by a few things. The biggest one is the dynasty teams like the Yankees of all eras.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
Out team right now has the potential to be a dynasty like that.

Even last year I would have made a couple of arguements against that... First of all almost all of those teams had Hall of Fame players in huge rolls, which we don't/didn't. Also their #1 and usually #2 pitchers were very dominant, where our trademark was just very good pitching 1-5. I think in this day and age we have the potential to be in the playoffs on an annual basis with this team, but dynasty is a whole nother story.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
Even last year I would have made a couple of arguements against that... First of all almost all of those teams had Hall of Fame players in huge rolls, which we don't/didn't. Also their #1 and usually #2 pitchers were very dominant, where our trademark was just very good pitching 1-5. I think in this day and age we have the potential to be in the playoffs on an annual basis with this team, but dynasty is a whole nother story.

Jim Thome? And it's still early, but a young Mark Buehrle (if he stays healthy and makes a run at 300)?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Jim Thome? And it's still early, but a young Mark Buehrle (if he stays healthy and makes a run at 300)?

Thome was only on this team, not last years. Frank would be the closest thing in 05, and he only played about a month. Buehrle could be an HOFer, but historically there is usually a guy you can point to as a no brainer on a repeat WS team. Don't get me wrong, I haven't done a ginormous amount of research with tons of cross-references or anything, but as I remember the Yankees of the 70's having guys like Reggie and Guidry, the A's of the 70's having Catfish, Reggie, Fingers and Blue, the Reds of the 70's having a virtual line up of HOFers.. recently the Jays of the 90's had Molitor, Carter, Alomar, and a should be HOFer like Jack Morris, with the Yanks of the 90's having the big exception to that rule, really only having a young Jeter, Pettitte and Rivera on the first team, then adding guys like Clemens later on.