what is your ideal offseason for the sox

cav38

Barry Zito, and a legitimate Bullpen Pitcher who can hold leads/keep us in games.

Giving up 10+ hits a game Does NOT a Division Win. Sounds "off the wall", but its a rule im sticking by,

our pitching is killing us

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
When I read that Wood was done this season, and he wants to come out of the bullpen next season, it sparked my interest. I think a team will throw more money that they probably should, but if he is cheap enough, I would have NO problem with loading up a deal with incentives, and having Wood come out of the pen.

The only reason Wood said that, is because the FOOL wants to remain a Cub, so he can drink at nite, walk into bars in Wrigleyville and have people Roar & Cheer for him for just being Kerry Wood. In no other city will he be treated like a King for winning 5 games a season. That said, I wouldnt mind at all, having Wood out of the bullpen for us.

Edited by Hangar18

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Barry Zito, and a legitimate Bullpen Pitcher who can hold leads/keep us in games.

Giving up 10+ hits a game Does NOT a Division Win. Sounds "off the wall", but its a rule im sticking by,

our pitching is killing us

Thankfully, we will not be in the runny for Barry Zito. He will get somekind of insane deal like 5 years/70 mil because of how "awesome and good" he was in 2002. Even though, in the last 4 years, hes been only slighly above average, with an ERA+ of about 1.15 or so. Plus, he would suck even harder in the Cell.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
Thankfully, we will not be in the runny for Barry Zito. He will get somekind of insane deal like 5 years/70 mil because of how "awesome and good" he was in 2002. Even though, in the last 4 years, hes been only slighly above average, with an ERA+ of about 1.15 or so. Plus, he would suck even harder in the Cell.

11-7 3.60 this year. That's better than...oh...every single one of the Sox current starters? He could of had 1, 2, possibly 3 more wins with the Sox too.

A great offseason would be to rid the team of either Garcia or Vazquez, and their entire contracts. An awesome offseason would be to rid the team of both and their entire contracts. The ideal offseason would be to rid the team of the Garcia and Vazquez contracts, fully, and find someone who is actually interested in playing LF.

QUOTE(chisox08 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
i always look forward to the winter meetings and the free agent market of the offseason. just for fun (but be realistic) what are your top 5 moves for the sox in the offseason (u can go less than five).when your done, provide the lineup and SP rotation (u can add the bench to if you want). i always like to know what other sox fans feel need to be done, this should be interesting.

my top 5 moves in order:

1. Resign Dye/Iguchi (its a tie)

2. Trade Vazquez so theres room for BMac

3. New leadoff hitter (possibly trade for carl crawford)

4. Sign a DEFENSIVE 4th OFer

5. sign a long reliever/spot starter/mop up guy however u like to say it

Lineup:

LF Carl Crawford

2B Tadahito Iguchi

DH Jim Thome

1B Paul Konerko

RF Jermaine Dye

3B Joe Crede

C A.J. Pierzynski

CF Brian Anderson

SS Juan Uribe

Im aware Uribe is an FA at seasons end, but i dont think hes worthy of the top 5, but I would like to see him back.

Rotation:

Contreras

Buehrle

Garland

Garcia

McCarthy

We still have an option on him for next year. Wait till next year to think about re-signing him. Remember, we will have Fields and Sweeney waiting, both likely corner outfielders next year. Dye is getting up there in age...out with the old, in with the new. Next year will probably be Dye's last with the Sox. And before you say, his role on this team is too big...if we can re-sign Crede, he will likely step into that #5 spot.

Crawford will likely be WAY too expensive...you can take McCarthy out of your rotation right now, if you want Crawford. I'd be willing to bet that he will be a Red Sox in the next couple of years (they will overpay for him).

Edited by champ

QUOTE(champ @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
We still have an option on him for next year. Wait till next year to think about re-signing him. Remember, we will have Fields and Sweeney waiting, both likely corner outfielders next year. Next year will probably be Dye's last with the Sox.

Based on what exactly?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
The fact that his contract is up and it's gonna cost a ton to keep him for a few more years if he keeps htis performance up?

Doi. I read it incorrectly. For some reason I was thinking this would be his last year with us. :bang

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
The fact that his contract is up and it's gonna cost a ton to keep him for a few more years if he keeps htis performance up?

Exactly. Dye has been great for us, but he's getting older, and has had injury problems in the past. That's not a guy I'd want the Sox to sign to a long-term deal. Take it one year at a time.

We have young, and CHEAP corner outfielders waiting...why not?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
Just sort of thinking out loud, but is there any way if the Sox made a package around Fields and Pods, San Diego would bite on trading Peavy? Peavy will be 26 next season, and is having a down year.

Obviously has ace stuff, but his price might be down a little after this year, and with no real future at 3B for SD, and Roberts a FA after the year(90% sure on that) could a deal centered around the two of them work?

I don't know about Fields and Pods, but if one were to consider including a starting pitcher in that deal, and we would have at least 1 to deal, if not 2, and some of the money to pay for that pitcher's obscene contract, something might be do-able.

The last 3 responses bring up a fair question...which is weaker long-term, the Sox starting pitching quality, or the leadoff hitter?

I can't make up my mind, cuz I think they're both very weak, and I could potentially see a Garcia, Podsednik, and Fields for Peavy deal atleast being discussed. I'm not sure I can see Garcia being packaged along with Podsednik for anything from Tampa Bay.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
The last 3 responses bring up a fair question...which is weaker long-term, the Sox starting pitching quality, or the leadoff hitter?

I can't make up my mind, cuz I think they're both very weak, and I could potentially see a Garcia, Podsednik, and Fields for Peavy deal atleast being discussed. I'm not sure I can see Garcia being packaged along with Podsednik for anything from Tampa Bay.

Jake Peavy is having a bad season in the NL.

And I also think it's a load of crap that some of you want to do away with Garcia. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I guarantee it. He's a guy that will make you look dumb for ever getting rid of him...I'd be willing to money on that.

It pisses me off the way some of you think struggling = a bad pitching staff. This staff is not bad, it's probably the best 1-5 in baseball, when they're pitching to their potential. They have STRUGGLED, they are NOT bad.

Edited by champ

QUOTE(champ @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
Jake Peavy is having a bad season in the NL.

And I also think it's a load of crap that some of you want to do away with Garcia. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I guarantee it. He's a guy that will make you look dumb for ever getting rid of him...I'd be willing to money on that.

It pisses me off the way some of you think struggling = a bad pitching staff. This staff is not bad, it's probably the best 1-5 in baseball, when they're pitching to their potential. They have STRUGGLED, they are NOT bad.

1.) They have not all pitched to their potential at all this season.

2.) Garcia has lost a pissload of velocity. I heard today that he's has dropped from about 82% 90+ MPH fastballs last year to about 40% this season which is just scary. He's a power pitcher lacking a power pitch, if that doesn't scream toast I don't know what does.

3.) When a pitching staff sucks for 4 months that is not "struggling" once you hit August that has to be considered a trend.