8/2 Games

danman31

Charlotte won 13-1. Fields 4-6 with 2 HR (16). Sweeney 3-5 with a HR (9). Stewart 4-5. Gonzalez 2-5. Redding 6 shutout innings. Interesting side note, Joel Guzman played LF for the Bulls in his debut for them.Box Score

Barons rallied to score 3 in the bottom of the 9th to win 6-5. 2 hits for Getz, Lopez, Schnurstein, and Molina. Box Score

Winston-Salem won 6-0. Haggerty and Smith with 2 hits each. Lucy with HR #6. Egbert 7 IP, 6 K, 0 BB, 5 hits. Box Score

Kanny won 6-3. Mike Spidale is playing for Lakewood, he's having a good year but is playing in Low A. That's a shame. Box Score

Great Falls rallied with 6 in the top of the 9th to tie it at 12 but gave up one in the bottom half to lose 13-12, ouch. Carter 3-5 with HR #12 and 5 RBI. Lawrence 3-5. Madsen, Gilbert, Marrero (HR #3), and Shelby (HR #2) each with 2 hits. Box Score

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 05:02 AM)
1 more HR and Sweeney matches his career total entering the season. and it was his 2nd HR on the road!!!

From what I was told, Sweeney's homer was an impressive shot to right center. Fields' two homers went a combined 620 feet, FWIW.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
From what I was told, Sweeney's homer was an impressive shot to right center. Fields' two homers went a combined 620 feet, FWIW.

You sure about this total? Is there a 300ft porch in whichever field Charlotte played?

EDIT: You're right. I browsed gameday through the boxscore -- Durham's LF wall is 305ft.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 05:08 AM)
You sure about this total? Is there a 300ft porch in whichever field Charlotte played?

EDIT: You're right. I browsed gameday through the boxscore -- Durham's LF wall is 305ft.

Yep, it's very short there. Durham's field is fantastic though...great place to watch a game.

Poor Great Falls. They have some players with very good indivual #'s, but they can't seem to win.

Anybody ever wonder why Redding never gets a shot at being called up. I mean, he was pretty decent as a major leaguer, so with our recent troubles, he could at least get a shot. However, that was only gonna happen if we traded a starter, which could've meant moving BMac to starter and Redding to Bmac's role. Looks like he'll be in AAA the rest of the year.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 06:29 AM)
Poor Great Falls. They have some players with very good indivual #'s, but they can't seem to win.

Anybody ever wonder why Redding never gets a shot at being called up. I mean, he was pretty decent as a major leaguer, so with our recent troubles, he could at least get a shot. However, that was only gonna happen if we traded a starter, which could've meant moving BMac to starter and Redding to Bmac's role. Looks like he'll be in AAA the rest of the year.

Redding's awful. The hitting in the International League is brutal this season, and that's why you see so many low ERAs around the league.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
couple of questions:

Is Heath Phillips worth any kind of look?

His numbers have been pretty nice all year.

And I see that Baseball America says Broadway has the best curveball in the Southern League.

Can we expect to see him next season -- especially if our current starters continue to labor?

Broadway will not be in the majors till late 2007 and will be on the club in 2008 i think.