Great Falls White Sox

elrockinMT

Thought Sox fans might be interested in this story about the Sox young power studs at Rookie Level Bball.

Friday, June 13, 2003

Legion is 'perfect park' for Sox slugger Bounds

By SCOTT MANSCH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A baseball fan's love of the long ball knows no bounds.

Which is precisely why Great Falls White Sox followers are likely to enjoy getting to know Brandon Bounds.

"This is a nice field and the ball carries really well," said Bounds, the 6-foot-5, 195-pound first baseman following Thursday's workout at Legion Park. "It seems like a perfect park for me to hit in."

Bounds, 21, is among a handful of veteran professionals slated to mix with recent draftees to form the Great Falls roster. The Dallas native, a 32nd-round selection in the 2000 amateur draft, batted .285 with nine homers and 38 RBI last summer.

He is regarded as one of the best young power hitters in the Chicago organization.

"Brandon is a powerful guy and I think this ballpark is going to suit him just fine," said Nick Leyva, the former big-league manager of the Phillies who served as Bounds' skipper last year at Bristol (Va.) in the Appalachian League.

Leyva, now a roving minor-league infield instructor for the Chisox, also had shortstop Mike Myers, catcher Carlos Lee and outfielder Bo Ivy last summer on a Bristol club that went 43-25 and won the Appy League championship.

Third baseman Micah Schnurstein, an 18-year-old who hit .332 with 26 doubles in 50 games as a professional rookie last summer in the Arizona League, is another veteran who lends some pro experience to the local White Sox.

"Bounds, Myers and Schnurstein, especially, are what we consider to be very good prospects," said Leyva. "If they stay within themselves and try not to do too much, I think they'll have big years. The fans of Great Falls will see three pretty good players right there."

Bounds, a left-hander hitter, said this year's Great Falls club will be able to bash -- but it won't necessarily be reliant on the three-run home run.

"We've got some older, more mature players," he said. "A couple of us were on that championship team in Bristol and we know what it takes. I think we'll be a good fundamental-hitting team. We know how to move runners over and score runs."

Because the White Sox brass has decided to send many of its top draft picks to Great Falls, local fans should be optimistic. Bounds said he, too, is anxious to see the first-year pros have got.

"I'm excited about our team, knowing that they're putting a lot of talent down here," he said. "I'd like to get another (championship) ring. I want to keep progressing as a hitter."

Several recent draftees, including third-round pick Clinton King of Southern Miss, sixth-rounder Chris Kelly of Pepperdine, eighth-

I think I lost my first post so here goes again to answer, "where is Great Falls?"

The Great Falls White Sox are a member of the Pioneer Rookie League, which has teams from Montana, Idaho, Utah and Canada. It is a good league with stability and has seen a number of players make it to the show. Great Falls itself is located in Northcentral Montana and has a population of about 55000.

people actually live there??  i just thought it was where we throw our trash.... 

:lolhitting

I can assure you Mr. Iguana that Big Sky Country is no trash receptacle. All you would have to do is drive up Going to the Sun Highway or The Beartooth Pass, float Hell's Canyon, view a glacier meadow at Glacier National Park when the wildflowers are in full-bloom, hike up the roaring Stillwater River to Lake Sioux Charlie, or stare out at the white marble markers silently memoralizing the spot where Geo. Custer and his troops were dispatched by the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians to know that.

You must be talking about New Jersey, pardner.