Questions on Freddys Fast ball

rangercal

Though I admit I have not been paying attention the last few Freddy starts on his mph, but last time I checked he was hitting mid to high 80's more often than not. He has been pitching like this since the ring ceromony game I belive and possibly spring training ( not sure what he clocked at during st)

What is everyones theories on how he lost it?

Work load catching up? Bad routine? Off field related? Hidden injury? Combination of theories?

Some people think he's off the juice, as his velocity started going down in 2004, and drastically fell now.

Others think he might be injured.

More still say the workload's caught up and he's tired.

A grumpier person might tell you that he's gotten fat, out of shape, and smokes too much marijuana......

Apparently, the Party Line is that it's a "Personal Choice" to throw softer, but I doubt that, and most do.

Nobody knows, in short.

If the truth were to ever get out, it would be the biggest news concerning the team this year. Absolutely every Sox fan wants to know this answer to this, but not a single one of us does.

It's like the freakin' JFK assassination. Everyone has their theories, but the powers that be won't let us know the truth.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
Anybody know what he was hitting on the radar gun during the wbc?

Low to mid-50's.

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I think it's at least in part personal choice. He's spoken to the media about the decision, and in clutch situations I've seen him in the low to mid 90's.

If in the case he was telling the truth. Why? Has he looked at his 2005/2006 splits? Is he saving himself for a strong last couple months? I would be the happiest guy on the board if he turned it back on in our race with the yankees, redsox, twins and hopefully tigers.

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
I think it's at least in part personal choice. He's spoken to the media about the decision, and in clutch situations I've seen him in the low to mid 90's.

I believe someone with Garcia's winning past would be wise enough to quit the BS if he really thought that. He's hurting himself and his team with his velocity this season.

For whatever it's worth my baseball stat-nut, fantasy league sports-geek co-worker (who is a Cubs fan but pays close attention to the Sox) said, when I first approached him on this question a while back, without hesitation:

He's hurt.

The only other explanation he could think of, when asked again today, was that he's worn out from the combo of the WS last year and in particular the WBC.

For whatever it's worth.

He and I don't believe that with Buehrle because a) he never threw that hard, B) the dropoff is not as severe as Freddy's and c) even he seems to agree it's a placement issue.

But I agree with Milkman: this truly IS like the JFK mystery to Sox fans. I've never seen anything like it. Is there any precedence for this--the caveat being for somebody who was NOT obviously injured?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
For whatever it's worth my baseball stat-nut, fantasy league sports-geek co-worker (who is a Cubs fan but pays close attention to the Sox) said, when I first approached him on this question a while back, without hesitation:

He's hurt.

The only other explanation he could think of, when asked again today, was that he's worn out from the combo of the WS last year and in particular the WBC.

For whatever it's worth.

He and I don't believe that with Buehrle because a) he never threw that hard, B) the dropoff is not as severe as Freddy's and c) even he seems to agree it's a placement issue.

But I agree with Milkman: this truly IS like the JFK mystery to Sox fans. I've never seen anything like it. Is there any precedence for this--the caveat being for somebody who was NOT obviously injured?

Billy Koch. He lost his fastball in less than half a year. He had it in October with the A's and didn't have it the next March with the Sox.

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Billy Koch. He lost his fastball in less than half a year. He had it in October with the A's and didn't have it the next March with the Sox.

He got his fastball back in 2004 though. He was consistently hitting 94-97 on the gun, he just had absolutely no control of it at all and was very ineffective.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
He got his fastball back in 2004 though. He was consistently hitting 94-97 on the gun, he just had absolutely no control of it at all and was very ineffective.

He went from the high 90s to 93 consistently. That shouldn't be happening to someone his age.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
Loaiza also lost velocity on his fastball after that '03 season. He's never been the same since . . .

Loaiza got lazy ... as evidenced by the fact he suddenly found his fastball for the All Star game while he was auditioning for Joe Torre and the Yankee contingent. Methinks that's what's happening with Garcia as well.