Official Game Thread 8/4 - Sox vs Jays 6:05

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree. Ozzie handled himself absolutely disgracefully between the Garland and Tracey incident (more so with the Tracey incident, especially when you consider behind the scenes stuff). Than his lone strenght (being agressive) has dissapeared and he continually puts players in a position where they can't possibly succeed (Mack in CF, Pablo in LF, sadly Pods in LF, not giving Bmac a chance a month ago after we had contiuosly horrible starting all season).

Its one thing if we didn't have the players, but we do. Our guys in the rotation are also totally to blame as well, Ozzie hasn't hung or made the poor pitches, but at the same time he's sat there expecting them to magically get better as opposed to being proactive and trying something.

My problems with Ozzie are with all of his dumb idiotic comments and statements (see Tracey/Garland) and with his failure to be proactive and try to improve things. I've been saying this for a while now and I've called for his firing more than once (not that it really means anything).

Give me Mike Scioscia any day of the week.

I like Scioscia too, but he isn't here Jason.

If the players can't get the job done, then the general manager needs to get new players. It's that simple.

Ask the players what they think of Guillen. That will open a lot of people's eyes.

That said, I like Razor Shines ... a lot.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Thankfully the 3-4 guys are back. It gives us hope during the next few weeks.

If we have ANY chance in this race, they both need to heat up BIG time, starting now!!

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 06:48 PM)
I'll always thank him for that year, but I live in the now and Ozzie doesn't work with a team full of quality players. He works best with a scrappy firy team and this team isn't exactly that. I also think ozzie would be one of the worse when it came to developing young players on a rebuilding ball club (not that we will be there).

People call Mike Ditka great, I call him crap. To only win 1 superbowl with that team was a travesty. I'm not saying its as big of a travesty for the Sox not to do so (and we don't know what will happen) but when this taem misses the playoffs and fails to make noise (note I didn't say "if") it will be a total embarassment and joke. I realize its not easy to make the playoffs, but we haven't had injuries to blame thus far (not saying it couldn't happen). Bottom line is this team has played without fire and while thats on the players its also on the manager.

I'd hate to see Ozzie cost us a few more years just like I think Jerry Manuel cost us a few times.

1. I always thought Chicago's worship of Ditka was misplaced. It would be hard not to win at least one championship with that defense. Ditka has proven (um, New Orleans) that he could not manage a fruit stand.

2. Championships in Chicago earn the coach cannonization.

3. Ozzie must use a ouija board to make his line ups.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

A lot of people want to stack the offense in games against Halladay. The White Sox best team recently was also their worst offensively. Mack might hit .342 against RHP, but he needs to hit a solo homer against Roy Halladay to make up for his first inning gaffe. Defense and pitching win. The pitching made Ozzie look like a genius last year. Its making him look like a fool this year.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
Ok, so what's the Sox's record when Pods gets a hit, steals a base, and score in the same inning? :P

It's never happened before. Probably.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
You need to take a freaking step back from the whining ... for once.

Try this on for size ...

Garland is a ground ball pitcher, or should be. Halladay is a great righthanded pitcher. Mackowiak has been killing righties to the tune of .342 .

They will need offense in this game. Anderson, despite trending upward, is still regularly overmatched by good pitchers, let alone great pitchers. And I am a fan of Anderson.

Mackowiak did not throw that big fat 3-2 changeup, Garland did. Even if there's no one on base, it's 1-0, they're still losing and they still need offense.

I'm gonna defend Fathom on this one. Mackowiak, while hitting .342, is just as regularly overmatched by good pitching as Anderson. Or when he is not overmatched, he gets 1-2 hits. On the other hand, having Mackowiak in CF gives up a guaranteed 2-3 hits per game that do not occur with Brian Anderson in Center Field. In almost every single game I can remember Mack starting in CF, I can point to a specific fly ball that Anderson would have caught that Mack did not catch which led directly to a run.

You and I could argue back and forth about the indirect part, about what pitch you throw to Glaus with a runner on 1st and 2 outs instead of a runner on 1st and 2nd with one out, but since you can't see those, it's beside the point.

What is driving us so crazy is that in exchange for 1-2 extra hits, we are giving up 1-2 extra runs. And against a dynamite pitcher like Halladay, every single run we give up makes the game harder to win.

Here's the question...so say Glaus still hits that bomb with 1 runner on base and Anderson in CF. Right now, this would be a 2-1 game, and we'd have exactly the same number of outs, and everything else would be the same. How different is that from a 3-1 lead? I'd say it's pretty damn different.