Official Game Thread 8/4 - Sox vs Jays 6:05

I'm speaking of Buehrle, not Garland...how is HE in your eyes for the season then? Buehrles WHIP is 0.05 better than Garlands coming into tonight, yet I bet he is much better in your mind.

No, Buehrle hasn't been much better than Garland this season overall. He's been just a little bit better. But, of course, Buehrle has given the Sox 3 good months this season, whereas Garland has only give the Sox 1 good month.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So is Brian Anderson still one of the worst players in baseball?

His season as a whole has been horrible. In the last month, he has been mediocre. (.328 OBP, .469 SLG in July). I recognize that Anderson and Garland are doing better recently than for the first three months of the season, but in evaluating them, I'm not going to pretend that the only thing that is releveant is their recent performance. That would make for some pretty weak analysis.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
His season as a whole has been horrible. In the last month, he has been mediocre. (.328 OBP, .469 SLG in July). I recognize that Anderson and Garland are doing better recently than for the first three months of the season, but in evaluating them, I'm not going to pretend that the only thing that is releveant is their recent performance. That would make for some pretty weak analysis.

Not to be ignorant of Anderson's performance to start the year, but with prospects, its different. It was obvious in the beginning of the year that Anderson wasn't comfortable, and his numbers reflected it. He hadn't adjusted to the bigs yet. Now, he's comfortable at the plate, swinging much better, and is adjusted to major league pitching. For that reason, I do think that his current performance is the most relevant piece of information.

For a player who has been in the bigs for many years, its different, but I don't agree that its the same with prospects who are just coming into the league.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
Does excellent season and a bunch of crappy seasons make you a "proven ML pitcher"? If so, what has he proven? That you don't know from month to month what you're going to get from him? That he's inconsistent? That he's unreliable? If so, I agree.

WTF are you talking about? "Crappy" seasons? From 2001-2004, he was a league average pitcher who gave you about 190 IP per season. Considering how early he had reached the majors, in comparison to most pitchers, those are pretty damn good seasons.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 01:37 AM)

Then fine, look at the season as a whole when it comes to Anderson. How many runs has he saved above the average centerfielder? Baseball Prospectus said that Anderson had one of the best half seasons EVER defensively from a centerfielder. Considering that CF is one of the most important defensive positions on the spectrum, I'd have to say that Anderson has been pretty decent for us this year.

It's funny how YOU'RE the one talking about intelligence.

QUOTE(iguchi=dank @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
konerko tryin to end his season.. jesus we don't need that

No, he's trying to be safe at first. And he succeeded.

And it's now resulted in an insurance run.

Edited by Felix