Official Game Thread 8/4 - Sox vs Jays 6:05

Runs scored by the Sox since I left: 4

Home runs by AJ since I left: 1

Increase in my BAC since I left: .06

Wars started by the Jews in the world: All of them.

Nice work Offense, Garland, and BMac. I love that kid.

Edited by Balta1701

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Runs scored by the Sox since I left: 4

Home runs by AJ since I left: 1

Increase in my BAC since I left: .06

Wars started by the Jews in the world: All of them.

Nice work Offense, Garland, and BMac. I love that kid.

:lol:

WTF are you talking about? "Crappy" seasons? From 2001-2004, he was a league average pitcher who gave you about 190 IP per season. Considering how early he had reached the majors, in comparison to most pitchers, those are pretty damn good seasons.

No, not major league average. In those seasons he was on the wrong side of major league average.

Then fine, look at the season as a whole when it comes to Anderson. How many runs has he saved above the average centerfielder? Baseball Prospectus said that Anderson had one of the best half seasons EVER defensively from a centerfielder. Considering that CF is one of the most important defensive positions on the spectrum, I'd have to say that Anderson has been pretty decent for us this year.

It's funny how YOU'RE the one talking about intelligence.

You're lucky I'm not talking more about intelligence, but we'll leave that one alone. What does Baseball Prospectus say about the value of the runs LOST due to Anderson's horrible hitting as compared to the runs saved due to his good defense? Have you taken a look at Anderson's VORP (taking into account his total value (both defense and offense)? It is abysmal.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
Have you taken a look at Anderson's VORP (taking into account his total value (both defense and offense)? It is abysmal.

I'm rather certain that VORP doesn't factor in defense to a players specific position.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
You're lucky I'm not talking more about intelligence, but we'll leave that one alone. What does Baseball Prospectus say about the value of the runs LOST due to Anderson's horrible hitting as compared to the runs saved due to his good defense? Have you taken a look at Anderson's VORP (taking into account his total value (both defense and offense)? It is abysmal.

Last week, responding to the struggles of rookie centerfielder Brian Anderson, who is hitting .163/.263/.296 in 157 plate appearances, the ever-unpredictable Ozzie Guillen announced the team was going to stay the course in center. Bolstering Guillen's support was his belief that no one else in the organization "can play center field [well enough] to win a championship."

Usually, such proclamations are based upon a misguided understanding of the dynamics of winning baseball, in that run production is inherently far more valuable than defense, and also easier to accurately evaluate. Last year's White Sox team, however, revealed just how powerful elite defense can be, and thus Guillen's words can't be simply laughed off. Anderson has indeed been horrific at the plate, with a negative 8.8 VORP. Through his first 54 games in center, though, he has saved 10 runs more than the average center fielder by RAA, and 15 more than a replacement glove. Anderson is producing on defense at a RATE of 124, meaning that if he keeps up his current play he'll have saved an astounding 24 runs above the average centerfielder (think the once-spectacular Andruw Jones since 2004) over 100 games. Since 1900, no centerfielder has kept up a 124 RATE for a full season--not Willie Mays, Tris Speaker, Curt Flood, or Jim Edmonds.

Anderson's work in centerfield has been worth a full win to the White Sox over an average defender (10 runs=roughly 1 win), thanks to catches like the running grab he made last Friday, so that he's managed to compile 1.1 WARP despite the fact he's been worse than a AAA lifer at bat. Sox fans might be shocked to note Anderson has been basically as good as Aaron Rowand (1.2 WARP)--notwithstanding his legendary grab of Xavier Nady's deep fly that earned him a facial fracture and the undying devotion of blue-collar Philadelphia, Rowand has not had nearly the kind of year in center Anderson is enjoying. The comparison accentuates just how much GM Kenny Williams improved his team by dealing Rowand for Jim Thome, whose 29 VORP has already doubled the total offensive output of Chicago's designated hitters last year and helped the club upgrade 2005's middling attack to the one that ranks fifth in runs scored this year.

Strictly in terms of wins and losses, however, without regard to the long term, replacing Anderson in center with Scott Podsednik (owner of a career RATE of 98 in center) or a platoon of the lefty Rob Mackowiak (90 career RATE in center) and righty Pablo Ozuna (6 career games in center), the two in-house options, would be a net loss.

Ozzie Guillen, then, can justifiably call Brian Anderson a championship-caliber defender, and if Anderson starts hitting like he's capable, it could become awfully tough for AL challengers to block Guillen from backing up his statements with a second ring.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
Anderson is our #9 hitter. Defense comes before offense there, and it's fine if he's hitting .230.

And he will never hit .230 in a season again in his life. He's learned how to shorten his swing and actually hit now. This kid will be an all star within a year or two.

Bobby will get the groove back. It's 1 run. It's still solo shots. Keep running him out there, and he'll be fine. A guy throwing that hard, with that little experience, will occasionally give up 450 foot shots, just from how hard he throws it.

Edited by Balta1701