Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wonder how people would have been talking this game had CBS had the rights to air it. ESPN had a countdown three weeks before the game started, they had dramatic montages playing left and right, coverage you don't see for the National Championship for christs sake.

God, I hate ESPN. Had it been covered on CBS, this rematch shenanigans wouldn't even be talked about. Boo Michigan!

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I really wonder how people would have been talking this game had CBS had the rights to air it. ESPN had a countdown three weeks before the game started, they had dramatic montages playing left and right, coverage you don't see for the National Championship for christs sake.

God, I hate ESPN. Had it been covered on CBS, this rematch shenanigans wouldn't even be talked about. Boo Michigan!

:huh:

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Sagarin often outhinks himself coming up with these ratings. A computerized strength of schedule is simply not very useful, too many funky results come out. If Notre Dame comes out with a better strength of schedule than Florida, they should basically scrap the formula. It's still based on his ratings of teams. An 8-4 Penn State team that played a rather weak schedule somehow comes in at 23 in that system, and a 6-5 UCLA team is somehow 25. That is why ND has such a high rating. Those are simply not top-25 teams.

It's plain and simple, Florida has to play more dangerous teams. They've already played a 9-2 LSU team, a 10-2 Auburn team, and an 8-3 Tennessee team, with a game against 10-1 Arkansas still forthcoming. They also played two other 7-4 teams in Georgia and Kentucky. They've also only played 3 absolute dogs in Southern Miss, Central Florida, and Western Carolina (Vandy is borderline).

ND on the other hand has coasted for a good chunk of the season, playing 3 service acadamies, a 1-10 Stanford team, and a 2-9 UNC team. Those games against 4-8 MSU and 6-5 UCLA aren't exactly scary either. After playing Michigan way back on September 16th they haven't played a single impressive team that was a real threat to beat them (or I should say SHOULDN'T have been a real threat to beat them). I don't see how that comes out to a top-25 schedule...

PSUs 4 losses came against 3 top 5 teams and the number 10 team Wiscy. Not trying to argue that the Sagarin ratings are bogus, just saying PSU isnt THAT bad.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
I really don't see how ND should be able to jump over Michigan, maybe it's just me.

I agree.

I think everyone knows that whoever ends up playing Ohio State, there's going to be b****ing from someone.

An interesting scenario would be if Arkansas beats Florida in the SEC Championship game, while ND beats USC next Saturday. Who goes then? I don't think ND should get to go; although their loss to Michigan wasn't necessarily reflective of their 2006 team, they lost big at home to the Wolverines. Is it really fair to have ND jump Michigan? Arkansas had arguably the second "best" loss, but it's not like they played USC close; they got destroyed, at their own place no less. If that scenario happens to play out, I think we're seeing a rematch.

If USC happens to win out, though, I think all of this is mute and the Trojans will play OSU.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
PSUs 4 losses came against 3 top 5 teams and the number 10 team Wiscy. Not trying to argue that the Sagarin ratings are bogus, just saying PSU isnt THAT bad.

I phrased that poorly. Obviously those are pretty strong teams, but they were a rather un-impressive team that struggled most of the year, and the only team with a winning record that they beat was that 8-4 Purdue team. The rest of the schedule consisted of Akron, Youngstown State (I-AA by the way), Temple, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern with the god-awful Corey Brewer at quarterback, and Michigan State. That's about the easiest 8 wins you're going to find. I really don't think they'd beat any respectable team.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
I don't get it, yes it was a close game (by the scoreboard) but at no time in the game did I actually think Michigan was going to win that football game.

OSU was the better football team even after making mistakes and it will be an absolute JOKE if Michigan gets a rematch.

USC, ND or Fla/Ark should be playing. If both Fla and USC win well that will be interesting as can be because both deserve it over Michigan but I can't make a legitimate case for why either deserve it over each other.

And if ND wins I still think they are screwed just because of that loss to Michigan (even though we played like absolute crap with a zillion turnovers).

Best case for Michigan is if ND and Ark win. Even then I don't think they deserve to play OSU again. Yada Yada yada....close score, but if you watched the game unbiasly I dont think anyone can tell me that it really was that close.

People could say the Fiesta bowl at times last year was a close game (score wise) but as a ND fan I could tell you that we were completely outclassed by OSU and never had a chance to win that football game.

The big question is, do you think any of these other teams would beat Michigan or play OSU better? If Florida or USC win out, I'd give them a nod. There is no argument that ND should make it ahead of Michigan. NONE. Notre Dame isn't screwed at all. ND screwed themselves by pissing down their collective legs at home head to head against the Wolverines.

Arkansas is an interesting case and if they get the nod I wouldn't yell and scream. But to think it would a "joke" for Michigan to get the nod is awfully narrow-minded. If you want the two best teams, then Michigan likely gets the nod. If you want to just give someone else a shot whether they are the 2nd best team or not, then I guess it would be a joke. I just prefer to live in a world where you earn it. I do not think any of those other teams have "earned it" more so than Michigan.

Hell, I'll go as far as to say that if Michigan and OSU play again and Michigan wins, there should be a split National Championship. That ought to start some debate.........

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
Does anyone know what the deal is with that Alabama WR Tyrone Prothro, is his football career done from that injury he had last season or is he going to try and make a comeback next season?

He hopes to be back next season, but there are still obstacles to overcome. He has had some setbacks in rehab. Those cannot continue if he is going to be able to play.

I'd like to know how Michigan is hands down the undisputed #2 team in the nation. Because they played Ohio St "close"? Yeah close is in quotes because they gave up 500+ and the game was never in doubt. They don't deserve a rematch, time for someone else to give it a try. We know they aren't #1 and that's all that matters. Nothing Saturday proved that Michigan is THE #2 team in the nation, nothing.

Besides, how is their resume so good? The fact that they beat ND (who apparently sucks according to many of you). Wisconsin at home? Wowee

USC has easily as many comparable wins as they do: Nebraska, Arkansas, Oregon, Cal, and possibly ND coming up.

You aren't just based on the quality of your "one loss." Look at the rest of the body of work, there's plenty of other teams comparable to Michigan. If this is true, hypothetically a team that played all D1-AA teams and lost to OSU should be in the championship game.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

That makes no sense whatsoever. ESPN would have covered the game no differently had CBS been broadcasting. They still would have been there for GameDay and the game still would have been hyped the same. It was #1 vs. #2! How hard a concept is that to understand?

And damn ESPN for covering sports and hyping such a game. If they were a real network they would have ignored such a game and been hyping Harvard-Yale and Army-Navy, cause those are the games everyone is really interested in. I'm sure if ESPN didn't hype it as they did, the approx 15 million mindless people who watched would have migrated to pro bowling or something!

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
I'd like to know how Michigan is hands down the undisputed #2 team in the nation. Because they played Ohio St "close"? Yeah close is in quotes because they gave up 500+ and the game was never in doubt. They don't deserve a rematch, time for someone else to give it a try. We know they aren't #1 and that's all that matters. Nothing Saturday proved that Michigan is THE #2 team in the nation, nothing.

Besides, how is their resume so good? The fact that they beat ND (who apparently sucks according to many of you). Wisconsin at home? Wowee

USC has easily as many comparable wins as they do: Nebraska, Arkansas, Oregon, Cal, and possibly ND coming up.

You aren't just based on the quality of your "one loss." Look at the rest of the body of work, there's plenty of other teams comparable to Michigan. If this is true, hypothetically a team that played all D1-AA teams and lost to OSU should be in the championship game.

Never in doubt? Yes, OSU was always a step ahead of Michigan in that game, but they were one recovered onside kick from having a legit shot to win or tie. While a Michigan win seemed unlikely, saying it was never in doubt when an onside kick could have changed the outcome is not real accurate.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Never in doubt? Yes, OSU was always a step ahead of Michigan in that game, but they were one recovered onside kick from having a legit shot to win or tie. While a Michigan win seemed unlikely, saying it was never in doubt when an onside kick could have changed the outcome is not real accurate.

OSU @ Illinois

The only time the game may have been in doubt was when OSU was fumbling snaps.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
Scheduling Ball St, Vanderbilt, and Central Michigan...bunch of world beaters there, too.

There's a difference between playing 3 dogs and playing 5 dogs like ND (3 service academies, Stanford, UNC). Plus Vanderbilt is probably the best of the bunch with 4 wins, including one against Georgia.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
There's a difference between playing 3 dogs and playing 5 dogs like ND (3 service academies, Stanford, UNC). Plus Vanderbilt is probably the best of the bunch with 4 wins, including one against Georgia.

3/4 Non conference games were dogs. BTW if you wanna go that route with a decent navy team, i'm gonna count minnesota as a dog (oh and throw in NW). You could push for Iowa under those standards.

ND makes their schedule what should be tough every year (and usually is), we've been down this road before to no end. They didn't schedule stanford nor unc midseason.

And they play Navy every year for a reason...if you are unfamiliar, google it.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
The game of the century goes to the Trojans/Longhorns in last years National Championship game. Now that was an amazing game.

This OSU-Michigan game was good and exciting but I wouldn't call it a legendary game.

Agreed on part 2, but not part 1. Game of the century to me was Miami/Ohio State in early January of 2003. Unlike these other games, that one actually had DEFENSE, it had drama, injuries, controversy, a great ending, underdog getting it done....that's my pick.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
Scheduling Ball St, Vanderbilt, and Central Michigan...bunch of world beaters there, too.

I'm not saying Michigan had the hardest NC schedule, but those teams are better than the teams I mentioned. CMU won the MAC West, better than all of the teams I mentioned. Vandy and BSU are dogs, as is Minnesota, but at least they are bow eligible.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
3/4 Non conference games were dogs. BTW if you wanna go that route with a decent navy team, i'm gonna count minnesota as a dog (oh and throw in NW). You could push for Iowa under those standards.

ND makes their schedule what should be tough every year (and usually is), we've been down this road before to no end. They didn't schedule stanford nor unc midseason.

And they play Navy every year for a reason...if you are unfamiliar, google it.

See, there is a difference in the quality of the dogs though. A 1 or 2 win team is not equal to a 4-win team from a BCS conference, at least the latter is some threat. That's especially true with Northwestern, who was a lot better in their last 5 games than in their first 7 due to quarterback issues. Otherwise I would have thrown MSU in that group too. And if you're going to count Minnesota and Iowa as dogs, you better be throwing UCLA in there too, their records are virtually identical (that makes no sense though, a .500 team in a major conference is not a total dog). So using your logic, you're up to 7 dog teams for ND.

I don't see how you can count Navy as a decent team either, that's an extremely soft 8 wins. Hell, their best wins are Duke and Air Force. That is NOT a strong team. If you want to argue that than Central Michigan is a decent team at 7-4. That's obviously a rather ludicrous argument though.

Since when are Stanford and UNC major programs? I can buy that argument for PSU, but not with those two. If they really wanted to add a more daunting game they would have continued those series with Tennessee or FSU (the latter is having a bad year, but still a lot better than those teams). I don't see how you can tell me with a straight face that this looked like a tough schedule going in, you knew they weren't going to play anyone between Michigan and USC, and Georgia Tech didn't look nearly as impressive at the beginning of the year as they do now with that record.

I don't really see how playing them every year is relevant, that's their own decision. That's their problem, and it's really hurting their BCS numbers. ND is rarely going to have a truly daunting schedule because of games like that. They've played the three service academies a lot, plus they schedule poor BCS schools like Stanford and Syracuse all the time. Unless they start throwing in a few more FSU's or Tennessee's, or they catch someone like Purdue or MSU in a good year, they're not going to have a very tough schedule. They've had what looked like 3 tough games pre-season for a while now, that's not going to cut it, especially since they underachieve now and then.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
I just prefer to live in a world where you earn it. I do not think any of those other teams have "earned it" more so than Michigan.

Hell, I'll go as far as to say that if Michigan and OSU play again and Michigan wins, there should be a split National Championship. That ought to start some debate.........

I was going to yell and scream until your last sentence. When you talk about "earning" a national title, one thing that can not come into play is having to beat the same team twice to be crowned. Where is the hell does it make sense that OSU has to beat Michigan twice in order to be considered the national champion? Michigan got their shot, decided to give up 500 yards (and the game was never in doubt, even when UM scored against the prevent defense) and lose the game. Their quest towards the title should be done right now. A late season loss should be weighted alot more than a first or second game loss IMO. USC, Ark, Fla and even ND would be better suitors for the title game, Michigan is done IMO.

There was no way of knowing UNC would totally collapse this year. They were coming off of a 5-6 season against one of the toughest schedules in the nation, returned most of their starters, and had hired a new hot-shot OC from Fresno State.

Oh well, atleast Notre Dame's trip to UNC in 08 will be a lot better.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
There was no way of knowing UNC would totally collapse this year. They were coming off of a 5-6 season against one of the toughest schedules in the nation, returned most of their starters, and had hired a new hot-shot OC from Fresno State.

Oh well, atleast Notre Dame's trip to UNC in 08 will be a lot better.

Well, the fact that they are UNC should have cleared up that doubt for you a little bit.