Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 03:12 AM)
I don't want to be a dick, but NIU simply wasn't good this year. I would have been surprised if the game was close. I was surprised that Wolfe couldn't do anything. 28 yards on 20 carries is epically bad.

I know, but then again there are a lot of teams that don't deserve to be in bowl games. NIU had a better team last year and in 2003, and they didn't go to a bowl those two years. The NCAA changed the rule this year where bowls with at-large spots have to pick the team with the best record without regard to conference affiliation.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
Will wolfe even be drafted?

He'll get drafted, probably between the 4th-6th rounds.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Wolfe has done very little the 2nd half of the season. I know Iowa shut his ass down and it seems like quite a few other teams have. If this guy was so special he'd find a way, even with teams stacking the boxes.

He had a hamstring injury the second half, combined with the fact teams were stacking the box against him. We would come out in 4-5 receiver sets and they would be in a 4-3.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawaii beat Arizona State 41-24 in their own bowl game and Colt Brennan threw 5 TDs for a new NCAA record 58 passing TDs on the year. If you haven't seen Brennan play, you're missing out, he's the real deal. He has a rocket arm and makes pro caliber passes. Hopefully Hawaii can have a better year next year (not that this year was bad for them) and he can get the Heisman.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 02:33 AM)
Hawaii beat Arizona State 41-24 in their own bowl game and Colt Brennan threw 5 TDs for a new NCAA record 58 passing TDs on the year. If you haven't seen Brennan play, you're missing out, he's the real deal. He has a rocket arm and makes pro caliber passes. Hopefully Hawaii can have a better year next year (not that this year was bad for them) and he can get the Heisman.

No offense, but Brennan has zero chance to win the Heisman.

i think brennan has a chance to win the heisman, but i don't think he will. the great majority of voters are not going to see him play next year. frankly, last night was probably the highest-profile game he'll play between now and next year's heisman ceremony.

Brennan could be a finalist, but i highly doubt that he wins it. Even though he might be worthy, guys from non-BCS schools just don't win it any more, otherwise Marshall Faulk and LaDanian Tomlinson would almost certainly have one in their trophy case. No non-BCS conference player has won it since Ty Detmer in 1990, and the only non-football powerhouse player to win one since then is Rashaan Salaam in 1994 (or possibly for argument's sake Ron Dayne, but Wisconsin did win back-to-back Rose Bowls with him).

To even have a chance he would have to keep putting up insane numbers, and Hawaii would have to go undefeated or have one loss. Even then he really has to hope that no one on the top 6 teams or so has a dominant year...

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
You sound like a typical voter who doesn't watch any football.

Brennan had a fantastic season. He led the nation in most concievable statistics that are positive, has a great system to shine in, yet he finished sixth in the Heisman voting. Why? Because no one sees him play. Period.

Next year, he'll have to have a season half again as good as he had this year to win the trophy. And I don't think that's possible.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Brennan had a fantastic season. He led the nation in most concievable statistics that are positive, has a great system to shine in, yet he finished sixth in the Heisman voting. Why? Because no one sees him play. Period.

Next year, he'll have to have a season half again as good as he had this year to win the trophy. And I don't think that's possible.

He brings back his entire offensive force, and now has the national exposure he did not have this year.

Drew Tate has done his best to piss off numerous Iowans, saying we've got nothing up here to complain about except him.....

When Tate was asked what he thought about fan reactions, he said it was all part of being a high-profile athlete in a smaller population base.

“That’s just the way the state is,” said Tate, who will close out his college career Saturday against Texas in the Alamodome. “There’s nothing really going on there, no pro teams or anything like that.

“The big news in the media is how the corn stock is doing.”

Tate said such attention can be a blessing and a curse.

“When there’s no teams except for Iowa football, everyone gets involved,” he said.

Aside from pissing off ISU fans with that last statement, quite a few Hawkeye fans are a bit miffed by it too.

Way to handle your last game with maturity.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
Drew Tate has done his best to piss off numerous Iowans, saying we've got nothing up here to complain about except him.....

Aside from pissing off ISU fans with that last statement, quite a few Hawkeye fans are a bit miffed by it too.

Way to handle your last game with maturity.

He does make some sense, there is nothing else to pay attention too.

Technically its true. But Tate has upset quite a few big time Hawkeye fans. That said people have quickly forgotten how good he was for 2 years in the program and that a big reason for our struggles this year was our lack of any receiving core and a healthy Tate (he was never 100% this year).

But remember, he will leave Iowa with a win!!!

This in itself doesn't indicate Colt Brennan will win the Heisman next year and I am sure there are 50 different similar stats people could find to show his abilities, but I found this interesting.

Brennan and Hawaii opened the season at Alabama, losing 25-17, yet having an attempted pass in the end zone fall incomplete as time ran out (not a hail mary). Brennan lit up the Bama defense for 350 yards, going 30-44. He added 2 TD's and had 1 interception

Only one other QB threw for more than 300 yards against Alabama this year and that was Erik Ainge from Tennessee. In that game, Ainge racked up yards, but had three interceptions and zero touchdowns.

The only other QB to even break 200 passing yards against Alabama this year was Jamarcus Russell of LSU who threw for a whopping 207.

Alabama wasn't the best team this year, but their defense was solid. And considering they only allowed 3 teams to pass for more than 200 yards, I think it shows their pass defense was pretty solid. It also indicates Brennan and the Hawaii offense can do it against just about anybody.

Iowa is going to get ROLLED in their bowl game, so Tate will have more bad things to say. He's right about Iowa people though. And I'm not sure where this myth about Tate having a great 2005 is coming from, but he was very average and this year wasn't even that. He was great in 2004 though, and that combined with a blown coverage on the last play of the Cap 1 Bowl by LSU will keep him popular there.