Official College Football Thread

Ugh. It's a shame LSU couldn't pull out that early game at Auburn. I'm sure I'm not the only one with the opinion that they're the most *talented* team in the country, and if they're 'on' (which they apparently weren't for the two losses at Florida and Auburn), they're the best matchup for OSU.

I hate to discredit Florida so much; afterall, they did beat LSU when they faced off...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Competitive matchups is far from the point of the BCS. The point of the BCS is to create a National Championship Game, plain and simple. The rest of the games are dictated by conference champions that are tied to bowls and at large teams that are selected in a pre-selected, rotating order. Bowls choose the best at-large team they can that will attract attention and ratings to their bowl.

It has NOTHING to do with creating competitive matchups. It never has.

And this is the last time I will say it. Just ONE time will someone tell me who was more deserving of the last at-large spot than Notre Dame. Everyone wants to crow they didn't deserve to be there, but that is bull s***. They were the obvious choice of the remaining eligible teams. To say they didn't deserve a bid is pure ignorance.

Please understand the purpose of the BCS people. It has had only one purpose since its inception and that same purpose remains. That purpose is to create a National Champion. But I think I already said that.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
Competitive matchups is far from the point of the BCS. The point of the BCS is to create a National Championship Game, plain and simple. The rest of the games are dictated by conference champions that are tied to bowls and at large teams that are selected in a pre-selected, rotating order. Bowls choose the best at-large team they can that will attract attention and ratings to their bowl.

It has NOTHING to do with creating competitive matchups. It never has.

And this is the last time I will say it. Just ONE time will someone tell me who was more deserving of the last at-large spot than Notre Dame. Everyone wants to crow they didn't deserve to be there, but that is bull s***. They were the obvious choice of the remaining eligible teams. To say they didn't deserve a bid is pure ignorance.

Preach. For a Michigan fan, you're pretty smart. :P

I need a f****ing drink right now...or 20.

Let the Fire Rick Minter campaign begin now.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
Wisconsin, but they were not eligible.

Therefore not a legit answer, but I don't need to tell you that. However, for others benefit, I'll go on. Eligibility is not something Notre Dame controls. So if someone wants to argue Wisconsin, they can't blame Notre Dame for being where they are. Argue the setup of the BCS, but that is a totally different argument.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Wow, this is a stat....87 different 1-A teams have won a bowl since Notre Dame's last win, and their 9 game bowl losing streak is now an all time record, passing their tie at 8 with South Carolina. That is obviously a big part of them being ND and getting into bowls they shouldn't be against superior teams, but wow.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
Wow, this is a stat....87 different 1-A teams have won a bowl since Notre Dame's last win, and their 9 game bowl losing streak is now an all time record, passing their tie at 8 with South Carolina. That is obviously a big part of them being ND and getting into bowls they shouldn't be against superior teams, but wow.

And that has NOTHING to do with whether they deserved a BCS bid THIS year. You can't be that ignorant, can you? Or are you just trying to avoid the argument?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
And that has NOTHING to do with whether they deserved a BCS bid THIS year. You can't be that ignorant, can you? Or are you just trying to avoid the argument?

Avoid what argument? I was making a general point. THIS year, they probably deserved a BCS bid since the system is stupid with the 3 team rule, but there have been years where they got to bowls they had no business in, and got killed as a result.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 12:36 AM)
Preach. For a Michigan fan, you're pretty smart. :P

I need a f****ing drink right now...or 20.

Let the Fire Rick Minter campaign begin now.

Us South Carolina fans coulda told you to avoid Rick Minter at all costs...

Fact is Notre Dame isn't the 11th best team in the country. The BCS didn't fail by putting them in, the voters did. Notre Dame is probably going to have 1 win against a top 25 (from the final poll) this year, Penn St. I say probably because they aren't ranked now, but probably will be on the final rankings. That's also the only team they beat that won their bowl game. Yes, they have only lost to the top tier in the country, but they haven't had any good wins either. Compare that to Rutgers or West Virginia who have a top 15 win on their resume. The flipside is both teams have a bad loss. I guess the voters would rather have a team that hasn't lost to a bad team as opposed to a team that has a quality win. Then again, if Notre Dame was in a real conference and had to play decent teams on the road more often they would probably be in the same situation.

So people are still very high on Wisconsin even after their s***ty performance Monday? Sure they won, but they didn't look good at all, and were outgained 368-201. Had they played a team with any sort of quarterback (or one that didn't take 12 penalties), they would have lost.

Of course all this wisky bcs talk is irrelevant due to the rule in place.

Well it's good to see ND still hasn't won a bowl game in over ten years. I thought the game would be a little closer though. Jamarcus Russell could be an absolute stud, I would probably take him over Quinn.

Oh yea, NIU has won a bowl game more recently than ND. :P

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
Um, maybe because he said NUMEROUS times he wasn't leaving Miami and that he would not be the Alabama coach? The fact that his philosophy was about honesty, integrity, and accomplishing what he came to do? He totally slapped us fans and the organization in the face with what he did.. that to me makes him a jerk and a liar

EVERY coach says stuff like that. What the hell is he supposed to say? That's the way it is. I just hate how everybody says he owes it to Miami, yet nobody says stuff like that when a coach gets fired after two seasons.

EVERY coach says stuff like that. What the hell is he supposed to say?

every coach does not say "i am not going to be the coach at alabama" multiple times and then end up as the coach at alabama two weeks later.

there are ways of talking around it that don't make you look like a complete ass when you end up totally contradicting yourself. and he could have simply said, "i have no comment on that." coaches do that all the time.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
No I agree, Weis has turned him into a monster. Should have worded that better. By saying ND is polarizing I mean that he's under such a microscope and so much exposure. I mean take the gold helmets and the blue jerseys away and then take a look. As much as people argue that the "ND Hype Machine" is good for you, it's just as bad. Obviously there are very few here that believe this as such, but I might as well state it.

Just give this a read, http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2006_12_01...576835367811511

Puts what I'm speaking of in a much more eloquent manner.

Sidenote: LSU fans chanting overrated. That's downright moronic.

I still dont understand why someone cant explain to me how this kid is considered a #1 draft pick, from what i have seen, he cant play against tough competition, he doesnt have the big game skills, and he didnt even appear to be the best player on his team last night.

Is there anyone that would take Quinn with the first pick if you were an NFL gm or head coach?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
I still dont understand why someone cant explain to me how this kid is considered a #1 draft pick, from what i have seen, he cant play against tough competition, he doesnt have the big game skills, and he didnt even appear to be the best player on his team last night.

Is there anyone that would take Quinn with the first pick if you were an NFL gm or head coach?

Ill let Mel Kiper and his greasy hair figure it out.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
I want someone to tell me, because obviously I just dont see it. I dont even see him being as good as Eli Manning, which is scary for a team with a top pick.

Not I

Ide take Jamarcus Russell #1 overall if I was Oakland

Kevin Steele to Bama for DC. I am so mad right now. He was a really good coach and an excellent recruiter. At least we have Trickett and Dawsey locked in, and it's looking really good for Fisher, especially because if he turns the offense around he is now the leading canidate for the HC job once Bobby retires (Steele was in that position). Possibly look for Amato to return to FSU now.

Edited by chimpy2121