Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(zenryan @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
I am not going to defend the Miami players for fighting. They should have never been running onto the field like that to start with, they know better than that.. but...

I just love how its Miami's fault. There are two teams on that field, and if anyone saw any of the game then they would know that FIU was instigating the whole thing from the opening kick off. Just about every play there was a FIU player trying to start something. From piling up after plays, to pushing and shoving, getting slapped in the back of the head and elbows being thrown on a safety after he makes an INT and gets tackled. I also find it funny that no one on tv is talking about the FIU player swinging his crutches around at Miami players, just Reddick using his helmet as a weapon.

and one of the commentators was Lamar Thomas. he played in the thug years and he is part of Miami that Butch Davis and Coker are trying to get away from.

FIU started the damn thing to be honest, but Miami needs to have cooler heads, ESPECIALLY since they are trying to get away from the thug image. I personally think that Butch did a great job with cleaning up, but the thugs have taken over the program again, which is why Coker is going to get dumped for Greg Schiano very soon. But then again, Miami for the most part hasn't had too much trouble off the field lately, but a fight like that, regardless of who started it, shows the team has some bad dudes.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(zenryan @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
I am not going to defend the Miami players for fighting. They should have never been running onto the field like that to start with, they know better than that.. but...

I just love how its Miami's fault. There are two teams on that field, and if anyone saw any of the game then they would know that FIU was instigating the whole thing from the opening kick off. Just about every play there was a FIU player trying to start something. From piling up after plays, to pushing and shoving, getting slapped in the back of the head and elbows being thrown on a safety after he makes an INT and gets tackled. I also find it funny that no one on tv is talking about the FIU player swinging his crutches around at Miami players, just Reddick using his helmet as a weapon.

and one of the commentators was Lamar Thomas. he played in the thug years and he is part of Miami that Butch Davis and Coker are trying to get away from.

Regardless of who instigated it, that doesn't make it right. Miami is the program in the spotlight so they will receive more of the attention. Very simply, I this seals the deal on Coker being gone. The university administration can't excuse this and unfortunately, the responsibilty has to fall back to the head coach.

And Lamar Thomas is an idiot. If he ever broadcasts another UM game, then the problem is Miami. The administration has to look at what these things make their school look like and act accordingly. Otherwise, the "thug" comments will never end.

I just realized that it was Lamar Thomas that got the ball stripped by George Teague on what should have been an easy touchdown in the beating Alabama put on the 'Canes National Championship hopes in 1991.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Rashard Mendenhall this year:

vs. Eastern Illinois: 10 carries, 75 yards, 2 TD's

at Rutgers: 2 carries, 22 yards

vs. Syracuse: 5 carries, 32 yards

vs. Iowa: 5 carries, 14 yards

at Michigan State: 5 carries 17 yards

vs. Indiana: 5 carries, 29 yards

vs. Ohio: 7 carries, 94 yards

Season: 39 carries, 283 yards (7.3 average), 3 TD's, 10 receptions, 140 yards, TD

Now I know he's had a couple fumbles, and that he'll start next year with E.B. and Pierre gone, but can someone explain why he isn't getting the ball more this year? Between that and E.B. returning punts, i'm baffled, even with Zook the goof as the coach, it makes no sense.

Per ESPN

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- After reviewing a sideline-clearing brawl between players from Miami and Florida international, officials from both schools and their conferences on Sunday announced the suspension of 31 players -- 13 from the Hurricanes, and 18 from FIU.

Hahahaha, will this help Duke beat Miami?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Rashard Mendenhall this year:

vs. Eastern Illinois: 10 carries, 75 yards, 2 TD's

at Rutgers: 2 carries, 22 yards

vs. Syracuse: 5 carries, 32 yards

vs. Iowa: 5 carries, 14 yards

at Michigan State: 5 carries 17 yards

vs. Indiana: 5 carries, 29 yards

vs. Ohio: 7 carries, 94 yards

Season: 39 carries, 283 yards (7.3 average), 3 TD's, 10 receptions, 140 yards, TD

Now I know he's had a couple fumbles, and that he'll start next year with E.B. and Pierre gone, but can someone explain why he isn't getting the ball more this year? Between that and E.B. returning punts, i'm baffled, even with Zook the goof as the coach, it makes no sense.

Does anyone know why Zook doesn't run the ball more, period, this year?

Thomas should be getting 15-20 carries a game, and Mendenhall 5-10. EB should be filling water bottles the entire game (and he finally is now for the most part).

The problem with Zook is that his spread offense is not the best run formation...and Juice ends up running out of it as much as the backs do. I like the spread offense for certain things, but sometimes you need to do some normal i formations and pro sets and pound the ball.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
Does anyone know why Zook doesn't run the ball more, period, this year?

Thomas should be getting 15-20 carries a game, and Mendenhall 5-10. EB should be filling water bottles the entire game (and he finally is now for the most part).

The problem with Zook is that his spread offense is not the best run formation...and Juice ends up running out of it as much as the backs do. I like the spread offense for certain things, but sometimes you need to do some normal i formations and pro sets and pound the ball.

Well, Juice has ran well since he got the job.....

vs. Iowa: 17 carries, 39 yards (and the sacks skewed the numbers)

at Michigan State: 17 carries, 103 yards

vs. Indiana: 10 carries, 53 yards

vs. Ohio: 17 carries, 96 yards

However, your right. This team has all the ability in the world to just run it a ton with Pierre, Juice, and Rashard, and then only throw sparingly, using Juice's great ability to go play action and throw it deep, but they haven't done it.

Oh, and BTW...it's a final, Boise State stays unbeaten, beating New Mexico State 40-28. NMSU does it NIU style with 0 rushing yards, and does it June Jones style, as their sophomore QB Chase Holbrook goes 50 for 65 for 526 yards passing. Sophomore Chris Williams had 12 for 188 and a TD receiving and sophomore Derek Dubois had 6 for 124 and a TD receiving. Hal Mumme, who is a scumbag and used to coach Kentucky, apparently has quite a passing game.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Well, Juice has ran well since he got the job.....

vs. Iowa: 17 carries, 39 yards (and the sacks skewed the numbers)

at Michigan State: 17 carries, 103 yards

vs. Indiana: 10 carries, 53 yards

vs. Ohio: 17 carries, 96 yards

However, your right. This team has all the ability in the world to just run it a ton with Pierre, Juice, and Rashard, and then only throw sparingly, using Juice's great ability to go play action and throw it deep, but they haven't done it.

Oh, and BTW...it's a final, Boise State stays unbeaten, beating New Mexico State 40-28. NMSU does it NIU style with 0 rushing yards, and does it June Jones style, as their sophomore QB Chase Holbrook goes 50 for 65 for 526 yards passing. Sophomore Chris Williams had 12 for 188 and a TD receiving and sophomore Derek Dubois had 6 for 124 and a TD receiving. Hal Mumme, who is a scumbag and used to coach Kentucky, apparently has quite a passing game.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing Juice runs, i am just trying to discuss why the backs don't end up getting more carries. My bad, i didn't make it clear enough what i meant.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
I'm not saying it's a bad thing Juice runs, i am just trying to discuss why the backs don't end up getting more carries. My bad, i didn't make it clear enough what i meant.

Even if you think that, it's fine. I'd rather Juice run less and avoid injury chances, and see Pierre and Rashard do the work personally. But it's tempting with as good an athlete as Juice is.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
I have a question to pretty much anyone in general.

David Robinson went to Oklahoma out of high school and was the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year his freshman year. So why did he transfer to D2 University of South Dakota?

please :unsure:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
I still can't get over that Iowa game. Wow, I knew we weren't as good as some experts said we'd be, but I didn't think we'd lose to IU.

Heh, that was such a fun game. And we have three more years of Lewis, and him and Hardy are just getting heated up.

It'll be hard, but honestly have an okay shot at a bowl now. We're at 4-3, with games left against MSU, Minnesota, and Purdue. The crazy thing is we lost two very winnable games against SIU and UConn, so we could be 6-1 today.

I actually just started a thread on this at TalkBigTen:

http://www.talkbigten.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=293

Check it out and discuss!