Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
Notre Dame has done just as much as Florida and Tennessee that they are a top 10 team. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Texas with the impressive win against Nebraska. Florida with the impressive win versus... nobody.

Florida has beaten LSU and Tennessee. Both of those teams are better than anyone Notre Dame has beaten. Tennessee killed Cal who hasn't lost since that 1st game and also killed Geogria. But we can ignore this and pretend Notre Dame has better wins than that if that would make you feel better.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
ND once again is a joke of a top 10 team. They're going to lose to USC, get their bcs game and get blown out again. Same crap as last year.

That is correct. I'll enjoy them getting embarassed by USC and their BCS opponent though.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
The team impressing me lately.....Clemson.

Oh Lord. C.J. Spiller and James Davis.....hide the children when those 2 come to town.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
And what about USC?

And Tennessee had the same kinda game we did, and they jumped us... Then theres Florida, who didnt even play, who also jumped us.

Exactly

Albeit it I think Florida is hands down a better team than ND. I think Florida is the 3rd best team in the country.

But Tennessee is not better.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
Exactly

Albeit it I think Florida is hands down a better team than ND. I think Florida is the 3rd best team in the country.

But Tennessee is not better.

OSU, UM, USC are the top 3. Maybe Florida is #4.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
Notre Dame has done just as much as Florida and Tennessee that they are a top 10 team. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Texas with the impressive win against Nebraska. Florida with the impressive win versus... nobody.

Oh please, take off the homer-glasses. ND has defeated one team with less than 3 losses so far, and that's from some mediocre conferences. Plus 3 of those wins were less than impressive.

Florida had a convincing win against a 6-2 LSU team that would have one or no losses in any other conference and beat a 6-1 Tennessee team on the road.

Tennessee absolutely destroyed a 7-1 Cal team that just might win the Pac-10 and had a convincing win at Georgia, who is 6-2.

Auburn has wins against LSU and Florida. Even Texas at least beat Oklahoma and Nebraska.

The best Notre Dame can claim is a win over 5-2 Georgia Tech, and all they really have is a win over an equally overrated Virginia Tech team. If Charlie Weis didn't have a four-leaf clover up his fat ass they could easily be 3-4 against a rather mediocre schedule. You could make a decent case that a few more teams should be ahead of them...

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Q

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
Oh please, take off the homer-glasses. ND has defeated one team with less than 3 losses so far, and that's from some mediocre conferences. Plus 3 of those wins were less than impressive.

Florida had a convincing win against a 6-2 LSU team that would have one or no losses in any other conference and beat a 6-1 Tennessee team on the road.

Tennessee absolutely destroyed a 7-1 Cal team that just might win the Pac-10 and had a convincing win at Georgia, who is 6-2.

Auburn has wins against LSU and Florida. Even Texas at least beat Oklahoma and Nebraska.

The best Notre Dame can claim is a win over 5-2 Georgia Tech, and all they really have is a win over an equally overrated Virginia Tech team. If Charlie Weis didn't have a four-leaf clover up his fat ass they could easily be 3-4 against a rather mediocre schedule. You could make a decent case that a few more teams should be ahead of them...

Trust me, as a big time ND fan there is no way I'd make claim to ND being better than Florida. I don't think Tenn is that good but thats cause I don't think Cal (or the Pac 10) are any good.

OSU

Mich

Florida (depsite its loss)

are my top 3 (even though WVU and USC are undefeated). USC is hurting now that they don't have a QB who worked with Chow and knew all of the intracacies of his system.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 05:06 AM)
ND once again is a joke of a top 10 team. They're going to lose to USC, get their bcs game and get blown out again. Same crap as last year.

Blown out again? it was 34-20 and Notre Dame had the ball with under 5 minutes left and had a chance to tie the game. But they didnt and OSU scored with a minute left. Thats far from a blowout.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Blown out again? it was 34-20 and Notre Dame had the ball with under 5 minutes left and had a chance to tie the game. But they didnt and OSU scored with a minute left. Thats far from a blowout.

IIRC ND scored with about 5 minutes left to get the game within a td. So ya, blowout wasn't the appropiate term to use here but irrc they never actually had a chance to tie the game up.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
IIRC ND scored with about 5 minutes left to get the game within a td. So ya, blowout wasn't the appropiate term to use here but irrc they never actually had a chance to tie the game up.

I thought at one point we recovered a fumble or something (only to have it reviewed and over-turned) or had a TD come back that could have tied it and than OSU instead shut the door.

But if ND wasn't outclassed speed wise in the secondary it would have been more of a game. However, it was the type of game that even when it got close I really didn't think ND would win. But thats cause OSU was clearly the 3rd best team in the country.

However that OSU team is probably national champs most years, but it just happened that two of the best teams in college history both happened to appear in 05 (Texas and USC).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
I thought at one point we recovered a fumble or something (only to have it reviewed and over-turned) or had a TD come back that could have tied it and than OSU instead shut the door.

But if ND wasn't outclassed speed wise in the secondary it would have been more of a game. However, it was the type of game that even when it got close I really didn't think ND would win. But thats cause OSU was clearly the 3rd best team in the country.

However that OSU team is probably national champs most years, but it just happened that two of the best teams in college history both happened to appear in 05 (Texas and USC).

You might be right. I just remember feeling that ND never really had a shot.

ND scored a TD to make the score 27-20 with a little over 5 minutes left and then OSU on their next drive scored a TD. There was a fumble return for TD called back much earlier in the game. The fumble itself was over ruled, and the TD wouldn't have counted anyways due to a penalty.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Q

Trust me, as a big time ND fan there is no way I'd make claim to ND being better than Florida. I don't think Tenn is that good but thats cause I don't think Cal (or the Pac 10) are any good.

OSU

Mich

Florida (depsite its loss)

are my top 3 (even though WVU and USC are undefeated). USC is hurting now that they don't have a QB who worked with Chow and knew all of the intracacies of his system.

To me, Clemson is easily the best 1 loss team in our fine country right now. But that's just my $0.02

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Tennessee would rock your Irish senor Gage. :)

Tennessee would score 40 on Notre Dame. The Irish secondary is slooooooooow, and the Vols might have the best WR corps in the country other than tOSU. I'd say Vols win.

That OSU lost 2 games and lost to a Penn St. team that only lost 1 game and was one play away from being undefeated. PSU was the better team last year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
USC is hurting now that they don't have a QB who worked with Chow and knew all of the intracacies of his system.

Quarterback isn't really their problem, Booty has actually been fairly solid. His completion percentage is over 63%, his TD/INT ratio is 13/4, and his passer rating is 135.2 (compared to 140 for the great Brady Quinn). The one major difference is that his yards are down, probably because they aren't throwing deep as much.

The bigger difference is that their running game is nowhere near as dynamic. It's down about 100 yards per game from last year, and their yards per carry is down almost 2 yards a crack. Moody is still pretty solid, but he can't touch the effectiveness of Bush/White (of course few can).

However, they also have a much better defense than last season. They often won in spite of it last year. They are very deep in the front seven, and they force turnovers in the secondary.

They're not the run-away #1 like last year, but they're still a pretty solid team, and I'd expect their offense to start clicking a bit more towards the end of the year.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
Quarterback isn't really their problem, Booty has actually been fairly solid. His completion percentage is over 63%, his TD/INT ratio is 13/4, and his passer rating is 135.2 (compared to 140 for the great Brady Quinn). The one major difference is that his yards are down, probably because they aren't throwing deep as much.

The bigger difference is that their running game is nowhere near as dynamic. It's down about 100 yards per game from last year, and their yards per carry is down almost 2 yards a crack. Moody is still pretty solid, but he can't touch the effectiveness of Bush/White (of course few can).

However, they also have a much better defense than last season. They often won in spite of it last year. They are very deep in the front seven, and they force turnovers in the secondary.

They're not the run-away #1 like last year, but they're still a pretty solid team, and I'd expect their offense to start clicking a bit more towards the end of the year.

There defense is ridiculously solid/strong. Offensively one thing Booty has missed are his two top receivers who were out so things could get better after that. However, Booty has not played near as strong as of late (which again could be because of injuries to his playmakers).

I'm not saying he's stunk, but he hasn't played like a national championship QB should play.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
There defense is ridiculously solid/strong. Offensively one thing Booty has missed are his two top receivers who were out so things could get better after that. However, Booty has not played near as strong as of late (which again could be because of injuries to his playmakers).

I'm not saying he's stunk, but he hasn't played like a national championship QB should play.

I still think they lose to Cal.