Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things...

OSU was a better team than PSU last year. OSU was driving down the field and troy smith was sacked and fumbled the ball. If that game is played on a neutral field OSU dominates.

ND is garbage. They are maybe a top 20 team.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
A couple of things...

OSU was a better team than PSU last year. OSU was driving down the field and troy smith was sacked and fumbled the ball. If that game is played on a neutral field OSU dominates.

ND is garbage. They are maybe a top 20 team.

That's being generous. I can think of like 60 teams better than ND.

Is ND a national championship calibur team? No. Are they a top ten/BCS calibur team? Maybe. Are they a very good/top twenty team? Yes. All you ND haters tell ND fans not to be homers, but what about the negative bias that you guys carry and let affect your judgement of ND? An realistic ND fan will tell you that this team isn't quite as good as the hype, but they certainly aren't bad and are very dangerous. The fact is that there is a lot of parity in college football this year. I think OSU is clearly the best team in the game. You have a second tier of teams like Michigan, Florida(best one loss team), and maybe WV(will have to wait until they play someone good), but almost ever other team has flaws and questionable results. Here is a realistic look at the other "contenders":

USC - I live in Pac Ten country(getting my masters at the UofA), and I can tell you first hand that they aren't that good. They had a couple of nice wins early in the season, but have looked very beatable of late. Unless you think that a 6 point win at home against Washington, or a 7 point win at home against ASU, or a 6 point win on the road against WSU, or a closer than the score would indicator game against UA(USC got a late TD to make the final score look decent), or currently losing to OSU is impressive. These are middle of the pack/bottom feeders in a below average Pac Ten conference(I would probably take UCLA over all 5 teams on a neutral field for comparison), and USC hasn't been able to put any of them away. How are the going to blow out a good ND team when they struggle against mediocre teams? They have lived on the edge all season, and it will bite them in the ass sooner probably than later(I think they will have at least one loss before the ND game).

WV - I like what I have seen from them, but who have they played? They have one win over a team with a winning record. Three of their wins have came against teams from non-BCS conferences. They will get tested soon, but at this point half the teams in college football would be undefeated against their schedule.

Lou - See above. Only one win against a team with a winning record. A 6 point win at home against a powerhouse Cincy team. This team has some serious weapons on offense, but without Bush they aren't a national championship calibur team IMO.

Tex - A blowout loss to OSU, only two quality wins, needed a late FG to knock off Neb. They are a solid team and probably a BCS team, but they aren't great.

Aub - A blowout loss against Ark, 7 point win against SoCar, and 6 point win against Miss. Similar to Texas, a very solid team, but not a great team.

Tenn - Which is more impressive, a one point win at home against Air Force, or a three point at home win against Alabama? Their only loss was a one point game against Florida, and they do have solid wins against Georgia(boardline top twenty five team) and Cal.

I think it is funny that you guys ignore the fact that ND killed a pretty good PSU team. The only two games that don't look good at this point are against the two Michigan teams. It is hard to justify a top ten ranking when you get blown out like ND did. Although you shouldn't judge a team by one game alone. Michigan is better than ND, but they aren't twenty plus points better. Just like ND is better than PSU, but they aren't twenty plus points better. MSU is not a good team, so needing a huge comeback to win that game isn't good. Other then that, they beat a top twenty five team in GT, and they handly beat the other teams that they should have(Pur, Stan, and Navy). UCLA is a solid team that played well. IF ND wins out(including a win against USC - more reasonable than you guys think), than they do deserve a BCS game.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
What a pathetic 2nd half showing. Yeah so we didn't get blown out, big deal. Win a damn football game. If we do anything in the 2nd half we win the game, instead we play like a bunch of high schoolers. Frustrating as hell.

this has been the same story for at least 3 games this year already. I don't know what it is, but htis team shows up in the first half, plays their heart out, and then just sleepwalks through the 2nd half.

While i'm one of these people that continues to be optimistic on how wee're not getting blown out in these games, it's getting old fast. This team can play, but they just refuse to show up in the 2nd half. Something on the coaching side has to be wrong.

I would also like to point out I'm not a total hater though, Jake Christensen is going to be a hell of a QB for Iowa. Only a RS Frosh, his team was in some trouble late today (up only 17-14 with 7 min left, no momentum), and he led them down the field, made 3 great throws, and hit a 4th down TD to put it away. Iowa's WR's other than Douglas are AWFUL, and the TE Chandler is a senior. so they need to get him some help, but he's got a bright future. I personally saw more of Christensen than I ever have of Tate, who I never got why everybody thinks is so good, but maybe that's just me. Should be fun next year at Soldier Field for Iowa/NIU, our sucky ass QB is gone and so is the Garrett Wolfe distraction, and we keep most everybody else, so we'll be a much better team than this years disappointment.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Or how USC stays ahead of ND after a loss to lowly OSU, or Tennesee barely winning at home, or Auburn barely winning, or Texas having to rally.

USC - you can make a case.

Tennesee - 1 loss vs. a top 10 team by 1 point, has played a much tougher schedule than ND.

Auburn - one loss, but 2 huge wins over a top 10 and top 15 team.

Texas - only loss is against the #1 team in the nation while playing a tougher schedule than ND.

The only one I can see ND ahead of is USC. And if ND takes care of their business like everyone seems to think they are capable of they will pass USC any way.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
USC - you can make a case.

Tennesee - 1 loss vs. a top 10 team by 1 point, has played a much tougher schedule than ND.

Auburn - one loss, but 2 huge wins over a top 10 and top 15 team.

Texas - only loss is against the #1 team in the nation while playing a tougher schedule than ND.

The only one I can see ND ahead of is USC. And if ND takes care of their business like everyone seems to think they are capable of they will pass USC any way.

USC lost their road game, by 2, to a 5-3 team that will make a good bowl. Auburn lost their game to a 7-1 SEC team that will be playing for a BCS bid in early December. Texas lost to one of the best teams I've ever seen. WVU and Louisville are undefeated. Tennessee lost by 1 point to Florida, without their starting RB. Florida lost on the road to a very good Auburn team in a close game. And all of them have played tougher opponents and have better wins than ND. To say ND is getting jobbed is simply ignorant.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
USC lost their road game, by 2, to a 5-3 team that will make a good bowl. Auburn lost their game to a 7-1 SEC team that will be playing for a BCS bid in early December. Texas lost to one of the best teams I've ever seen. WVU and Louisville are undefeated. Tennessee lost by 1 point to Florida, without their starting RB. Florida lost on the road to a very good Auburn team in a close game. And all of them have played tougher opponents and have better wins than ND. To say ND is getting jobbed is simply ignorant.

The point about Texas is that ND went down a spot or two after the UCLA game. Texas needed the same type of effort to beat a lowly team and moved nowhere.