Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas Tech quite possibly played their best game of Mike Leach's tenure and still didn't beat Texas. I'm not one to whine about refs, but it was horribly officiated and Texas just made enough plays to come back from a 21-0 deficit and stop Tech's 4th and 1 try inside the red zone with under 2 minutes to play. Tech showed they can play on an elite level, just not consistently enough yet.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
I would also like to point out I'm not a total hater though, Jake Christensen is going to be a hell of a QB for Iowa. Only a RS Frosh, his team was in some trouble late today (up only 17-14 with 7 min left, no momentum), and he led them down the field, made 3 great throws, and hit a 4th down TD to put it away. Iowa's WR's other than Douglas are AWFUL, and the TE Chandler is a senior. so they need to get him some help, but he's got a bright future. I personally saw more of Christensen than I ever have of Tate, who I never got why everybody thinks is so good, but maybe that's just me. Should be fun next year at Soldier Field for Iowa/NIU, our sucky ass QB is gone and so is the Garrett Wolfe distraction, and we keep most everybody else, so we'll be a much better team than this years disappointment.

The beauty is Iowa is loaded at the WR position. We have a ton of tremendous athletes that are going to be joining Douglas (some of which are red shirting this year) and one of our better WR's got hurt at the beginning of the season (Davis or Calvin) and he'll be back as well.

Christensen is going to have a lot of weapons and apparently the school has a couple more good QB recruits on there way as well.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Or how USC stays ahead of ND after a loss to lowly OSU, or Tennesee barely winning at home, or Auburn barely winning, or Texas having to rally.

USC has played like garbage all season, squeaking out some shoddy wins. And lets not rave about there win over Arkansas. Arkansas wasn't playing good football at the time and didn't bring in there stud Mitch Mustain till the 4th quarter of that game.

Oh and a loss to OSU is far worse than a blowout loss to the 2nd best team in the country (Michigan).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Christensen is going to have a lot of weapons and apparently the school has a couple more good QB recruits on there way as well.

USC has played like garbage all season, squeaking out some shoddy wins. And lets not rave about there win over Arkansas. Arkansas wasn't playing good football at the time and didn't bring in there stud Mitch Mustain till the 4th quarter of that game.

Oh and a loss to OSU is far worse than a blowout loss to the 2nd best team in the country (Michigan).

I'll agree with you on this one, USC has not looked too good. A lot of turnovers against Oregon State (I refuse to refer to them or Oklahoma State as OSU). If they keep playing like that Cal is going to kill them, and I think ND will be closer than I originally thought. Neither team has looked consistently dominant, with ND generally looking better on offense and USC generally looking better on defense. USC needs to manage the turnovers, they can't get over those kind of mistakes without Bush and Leinart...

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Or how USC stays ahead of ND after a loss to lowly OSU, or Tennesee barely winning at home, or Auburn barely winning, or Texas having to rally.

ND just isnt that good, I wish people would figure that out. Brady Quinn is one of the most over hyped players in the NCAA and the defense is SLOW.

Also, everyone keeps touting OSU-Michigan for good reason, but watching U of M have such trouble with some crappy teams makes me very skeptical of their talent.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Also, everyone keeps touting OSU-Michigan for good reason, but watching U of M have such trouble with some crappy teams makes me very skeptical of their talent.

Their defense is very good, but their offense can be inconsistent at times, especially without Manningham. They're nowhere near as explosive without him. Arrington is still decent, but Breaston has never lived up to the hype, so their passing game really loses a lot of punch without Mario. They can still win plenty of games with Hart grinding it out, but to beat OSU they're going to need more big plays in the passing game.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
I personally saw more of Christensen than I ever have of Tate, who I never got why everybody thinks is so good, but maybe that's just me.

Drew Tate is the quintessential leader. His elusiveness and gutsiness are outstanding. His fire isn't comparable. Since his sophomore season he hasnt had quite the help he deserves and if you watch what he did in the Cap One Bowl you'd understand. He's a QB who has lost his helmet and stayed in the pocket to try to complete a pass.

Honestly, I'd take him over just about any QB in the NCAA except Troy Smith (yes that includes Brady Quinn). I absolutely love how he plays the game.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Drew Tate is the quintessential leader. His elusiveness and gutsiness are outstanding. His fire isn't comparable. Since his sophomore season he hasnt had quite the help he deserves and if you watch what he did in the Cap One Bowl you'd understand. He's a QB who has lost his helmet and stayed in the pocket to try to complete a pass.

Honestly, I'd take him over just about any QB in the NCAA except Troy Smith (yes that includes Brady Quinn). I absolutely love how he plays the game.

I wasn't really even dissing Tate to be honest. But I think Christensen has far more talent, and is going to play in the NFL, while being just as elusive as Tate (Jake could have been sacked 7 or 8 times Saturday, and on the 3rd and goal late, if he doesn't escape, it's 4th and 20 and Iowa has to try another FG, giving NIU a chance for the win). Plus, as much fire as Tate has, as well as gutsiness, those things don't complete passes.

As for the Cap One Bowl, that was an AMAZING moment at the end that even I could enjoy, but it was pretty much a stroke of luck in a lost game, a glorified hail mary that was completed because the LSU defenders fell asleep. He's an above average QB and he hasn't had playmaking help either of the last 2 years, especially this one.....I just think he's overrated and that Christensen will be better.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Michigan with Manningham is much different than Michigan without Manningham.

They also have the best front 4 I have seen in college football in a long time.

Add to that four quality linebackers (Harris, Burgess, Crable and Graham) and one of the best corners in the country in Leon Hall and you have one hell of a defense.

I'm not too worried about Michigan. They have been playing without Manningham and have kept their offensive package pretty simple the past few games. They have been content to run it down teams throat and wear them down, which is exactly what they have done. They are definitely a different team offensively without Manningham. With Manningham they have a deep threat, which allows Arrington to run the slot and Breaston to be an option on short passes and screens, etc, trying to give him room to run. Greg Matthews is beginning to step up, which will give them a nice 4th option with the return of Manningham.

They are inconsistent at times and that could cost them in the end. But so far they have taken care of the ball this season and their defense has been stellar. Sexy wins with lots of style points aren't always a necessity.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Michigan with Manningham is much different than Michigan without Manningham.

They also have the best front 4 I have seen in college football in a long time.

They have as good a combination of a defensive and offensive line as I can remember seeing. Their o and d lines are both in the top 3, maybe the best, in all of college football. But your right about Manningham, however Michigan should easily be able to go to 11-0 without him. The key is to get him back and healthy for Ohio State, they can't beat those guys in Columbus without him (although they might not be able to even do it with him, this Buckeye team is a machine).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
The beauty is Iowa is loaded at the WR position. We have a ton of tremendous athletes that are going to be joining Douglas (some of which are red shirting this year) and one of our better WR's got hurt at the beginning of the season (Davis or Calvin) and he'll be back as well.

Yeah I know you guys should be loaded at WR in the future, but in terms of just this year, at least since the early injurie(s), they are awful, which is why Christensen impressed me so much. That, and the pass blocking for him was TERRIBLE, he was under heat most of the game and the 4 sacks he took could have been 7 or 8 if he didn't move so well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
ND just isnt that good, I wish people would figure that out. Brady Quinn is one of the most over hyped players in the NCAA and the defense is SLOW.

ND SUX LOLOLOLOLOL

Brady Quinn might suck, but when operating under 2 minutes left in a half:

44-55, 511 yards, 6 TD, 0 INT, 195.9 rating

14 rushes for 72 yards, 1 TD, 7 First downs

(kneel downs removed from rushing stats)

I'd say he's about as overhyped as the OSU QB.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
I don't get why they ever started Weatherford over him. At all.

Many down here feel the same. There was actually some talk about a little bit of racism coming into play. I don't know how much water that holds, but anythings possible with the Old Man.

It's nice knowing that a 5*, #1 dual-threat QB will finally get a shot. I give him a lot of credit for sticking with it this far and not transferring.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
Many down here feel the same. There was actually some talk about a little bit of racism coming into play. I don't know how much water that holds, but anythings possible with the Old Man.

It's nice knowing that a 5*, #1 dual-threat QB will finally get a shot. I give him a lot of credit for sticking with it this far and not transferring.

The threat of transfer might be part of why he's starting, along with the record. There have been whispers he'd transfer after this year if he didn't get a shot.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
ND SUX LOLOLOLOLOL

Brady Quinn might suck, but when operating under 2 minutes left in a half:

44-55, 511 yards, 6 TD, 0 INT, 195.9 rating

14 rushes for 72 yards, 1 TD, 7 First downs

(kneel downs removed from rushing stats)

I'd say he's about as overhyped as the OSU QB.

Yeah, but Smith has better stats when the moon is in its second phase against teams who's name falls in the second half of the alphabet. :bang

There are kind of more than 4 minutes in a game.

Smith has better stats in every area expect yards (which has a lot to do with the play-calling), including almost a 30-point passer rating difference. Plus has a 169 to -7 rushing edge, and happens to play for the #1 ranked team in the country. But yeah, I can't see why anyone would hype him up...

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
Yeah, but Smith has better stats when the moon is in its second phase against teams who's name falls in the second half of the alphabet. :bang

Smith has better stats in every area expect yards (which has a lot to do with the play-calling), including almost a 30-point passer rating difference. Plus has a 169 to -7 rushing edge, and happens to play for the #1 ranked team in the country. But yeah, I can't see why anyone would hype him up...

Maybe Smith gets hype because he's a good QB... which is what Quinn is and was my point.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)

Yeah hes no good.

Seriously though, I never said ND sux, but they just arent an elite team. Brady Quinn plays in one of the best offensive schemes in College football and still doesnt look as impressive as he should. And the defense is still SLOW. I would have love to see the Bucks run freely all over them like they did last year, but unfortunately we wont get the chance this year.

Chimpy I just dont get your Bowden hate.

As for racism, Bowden has had Charlie Ward as his Qb and seemed to have no problem with it.

Bowden built FSU, as FSU has been my favorite team outside of the Big 10 for almost 20 years now, mainly because of my hate for UF and Miami, I just dont understand how you can be so against him.

Without Bowden, FSU would not be a national powerhouse. He should get to leave on his own terms, regardless of what happens, because he is that program.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Chimpy I just dont get your Bowden hate.

As for racism, Bowden has had Charlie Ward as his Qb and seemed to have no problem with it.

Bowden built FSU, as FSU has been my favorite team outside of the Big 10 for almost 20 years now, mainly because of my hate for UF and Miami, I just dont understand how you can be so against him.

Without Bowden, FSU would not be a national powerhouse. He should get to leave on his own terms, regardless of what happens, because he is that program.

I never said I thought it was racism, I just said anything is possible. There was talk about it going around campus. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I just don't get why he should be able to bring down this program. He is the greatest coach of all time. I even look up to him. He is a god here. However, his stuborness of keeping his idiot son in position of power will be the downfall of him.

I want this team to win now. Is that too much to ask? I know it's selfish, but people on the campus feel the exact same way. We want results now.

I know Bobby has not been coaching for the last how many years, he is more so a figurehead. However, he needs to change his coaching staff and get the right guys in here.

It's pretty sad when a team has all this talent and a horrible record. Coaches around the country must be laughing at FSU. Doak is no longer somewhere people are afraid to play at. People just think it's another win when they beat FSU. The prestige keeps going down.

As far as him leaving on his own terms: tell the Boosters that. I sure as hell wouldn't give a million a year to support a s*** team. That's acting like a Cub fan.

Edit: I just read this and I would be in favor. I would be extremely happy if Bobby would just make some coaching changes.

John Bunting's firing at North Carolina has put the Tar Heels at the head of the Chow line. And although that's an enviable place to be, two other teams - perhaps you've heard of them: Miami and Florida State - are bearing down.

Wetherell, who played for Bowden at FSU in the 1960s when Bowden was an assistant, is tied to the man he reveres. He won't fire him, and Bowden knows it. But at some point, he'll have to find a way to allow Bowden to retire with the class and dignity he deserves.

That way is bringing Chow in to run the offense, get FSU back to a BCS game and allow Bowden to gracefully step away. Then the wait - for Chow and FSU fans - will be worth it.

© 2006 The Sporting News

Edited by chimpy2121

WTF are you talking about words in your mouth?

I said:

I did not say you said Bowden was racist, I pointed out how ludicrous of a statement it was. Back when Ward was a QB there were not many college teams run by a non-white QB. Therefore it would seem odd that he didnt mind a non-white QB with Ward, but that is the reason hes holding down Lee.

So next time you are going to post a flippant comment to me, atleast read my post and actually respond to something I said. I never said you thought he was racist.

As for the rest of your comment, I think you answered it for yourself:

I want this team to win now. Is that too much to ask? I know it's selfish, but people on the campus feel the exact same way. We want results now.

And your about to cut your nose off despite your face. Bowden gave FSU 10+ years of being one of the most dominant football programs in the history of college football. Due to a change in circumstances (realignment of ACC) it is now much harder to win national championships.

See back in the old days of the ACC, it was FSU and nobody. All they had to do was win 2 games, Florida and Miami, and they went undefeated. Now the ACC has better teams, and other conferences (cough Pac 10) still have 1 powerhouse. That makes it so a team like USC will almost always go undefeated, and therefore teams in the SEC, ACC, and Big 10 have to play almost perfect for a chance.

If Bowden goes down, you are not going to all of a sudden start winning, especially if it gets ugly. Bowden has years of relationships in Florida, and if FSU dicks over Bowden, you know that the recruiting pipeline will dry up and you will not be getting the Rolles of the world anymore.

I would rather FSU ride Bowden out for another few years, let him leave on his terms, and keep all the goodwill that he has built within the state of Florida.

You just cant be disloyal to a guy like Bowden, he built the program. Guys like Bear Bryant, Bowden, Jo Pa, leave on their own terms. They earned it, and to do it any other way would be to show a complete lack of loyalty by the school. And something people would not forget.

So perhaps a new coach would win maybe 1-2 more games next year, but you would feel the ramifications of losing Bowden for the next 10, especially in Florida where he is the man.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
WTF are you talking about words in your mouth?

I am sorry. You said at the top that you don't understand my Bobby hate and then you immediately brought up the racism topic. I misunderstood. I did read your post, and that is what I got out of it.

I still think Bobby needs to make changes. I don't care if he keeps his job because he doesn't do much anyways. However, he needs to take the JoePa route and make staff changes. Jeff Bowden, DD, and all the other offensive coaches suck.

Wetherell won't fire Bobby, I want him on the hot seat though so changes will be made below him. Even JoePa made changes before his good year.

As far as the recruiting pipeline: have you seen our class this year?