Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I thought Tressel called an awful game, especially in the 2nd half...and it almost cost em.

There is reasoning behind him tucking his playbook away for the rest of the game, and I believe it is the game coming up in 2 weeks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
There is reasoning behind him tucking his playbook away for the rest of the game, and I believe it is the game coming up in 2 weeks.

That's not what Krush is talking about, though that is something we talked about. Basically the one thing we both thought was a very odd play call was the 3rd down call with about 3 or 4 minutes left in the game when you were up 14. Instead of running the ball and making Illinois use another timeout you guys threw it and allowed the Illini to keep a few timeouts. He did the same thing on the possession before as well. It was just odd to me to be throwing the ball with 3 minutes left and up 14.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
That's not what Krush is talking about, though that is something we talked about. Basically the one thing we both thought was a very odd play call was the 3rd down call with about 3 or 4 minutes left in the game when you were up 14. Instead of running the ball and making Illinois use another timeout you guys threw it and allowed the Illini to keep a few timeouts. He did the same thing on the possession before as well. It was just odd to me to be throwing the ball with 3 minutes left and up 14.

There was alot of strange play calling. I think in those situations he wanted to get a first down to run out even more clock. It seemed to me like Tressel had given the play calling over to someone else for the second half to somewhat appear different from his tendencies.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
NIU lost an Iowa State style game tonight, now I know how Heads feels. Season over, since now our bowl chances died. I hate our stupid ass offense and offensive coaches.

Did you go? or watch it on ESPN 2

There was an entire portion of the game that the announcers just talked about the rest of college football because they couldn't see the action on the field from the press box thanks to the fog.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
Did you go? or watch it on ESPN 2

There was an entire portion of the game that the announcers just talked about the rest of college football because they couldn't see the action on the field from the press box thanks to the fog.

I'm a student, so yeah I was there. I was surprised they kept playing, I was in the 4th row at the 30 yard line in the student section and I could BARELY (even with my 20/15 vision) see the other sideline. And I couldn't see the clock or scoreboard in the near endzone either. I am not nearly old enough to remember the fog bowl, but I would imagine it was like that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
NIU lost an Iowa State style game tonight, now I know how Heads feels. Season over, since now our bowl chances died. I hate our stupid ass offense and offensive coaches.

Try an Iowa State style season.

Word is, by the end of the day, Dan McCarney will be gone, with Iowa State looking for a new head coach. Some big-ish names for ISU out there.

Even if ISU fans thought it was time for him to go, most people love the guy. Weird thing is, he could be DC at UMiami next year if Alvarez goes there to coach.

About the highest name I've heard in connection with the new job are both OC's at Auburn and Cal.

Speaking of coaches, Butch Davis apparently signed his contract to coach at UNC today, but they are holding off on the announcement until after UNC's homecoming game this weekend.

The rumored contract is reported to be worth 2.5-3 mil a season, which would make him one of the top 5 paid coaches in America I believe. About time UNC cares about football since Mack left.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Speaking of coaches, Butch Davis apparently signed his contract to coach at UNC today, but they are holding off on the announcement until after UNC's homecoming game this weekend.

The rumored contract is reported to be worth 2.5-3 mil a season, which would make him one of the top 5 paid coaches in America I believe. About time UNC cares about football since Mack left.

good signing, i just wish KU would do someting like that. Fatgino is not doing it.

From what I've read ISU's candidates are gonna be a signficant downgrade. They don't have the history Iowa does and thats the only reason we were able to get a guy like Ferentz. Hell, we could probably land Stoops if we wanted to since his family absolutely loves Iowa City (in fact Stoops would have been our coach if it weren't for our old AD).

I'll take Ferentz though. Iowa landed a nice recruit this week as well and if they could somehow beat Wiscy they would have a shot at impressing two pretty solid recruits that are choosing between Iowa and Wiscy.

That said I'd be absolutely shocked. We pretty much blow, you lose to IU and NU....pathetic.

McCarney resigns.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
From what I've read ISU's candidates are gonna be a signficant downgrade. They don't have the history Iowa does and thats the only reason we were able to get a guy like Ferentz. Hell, we could probably land Stoops if we wanted to since his family absolutely loves Iowa City (in fact Stoops would have been our coach if it weren't for our old AD).

I'll take Ferentz though. Iowa landed a nice recruit this week as well and if they could somehow beat Wiscy they would have a shot at impressing two pretty solid recruits that are choosing between Iowa and Wiscy.

That said I'd be absolutely shocked. We pretty much blow, you lose to IU and NU....pathetic.

Gale Sayers coulda been a Hawkeye too.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
If i heard right, it was outside his apartment building shortly after practice. Looks like someone was really looking for him, perhaps.

Yeah, he was getting home shortly after his girlfriend had got there when it happened. My friend that goes to school down there says it happened in what is known as a very good neighborhood, so there is almost no way this was a random act of violence/robbery gone bad.