Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At his Monday news conference, Tressel was asked whether he believes a team should be required to win its conference in order to play for the national title.

"Yeah," Tressel said. "Yeah. … The thing we say as we go into every year, if you want a chance to play for the national championship, you better make the assumption that you need to win every game in your conference and be a champion, and that's the way we enter it. I hadn't thought about it, but you asked the question so I gave you the short answer, I guess."

Yeah I realize ND got torched by them, but I don't think the score is very indicative of the difference between the 2 teams. The game got out of hand early due to some costly mistakes on our part and it was over. I also don't look at margin of victory a whole lot in trying to size up how good a team is. I mean, Illinois only lost by 7 to OSU...does that mean OSU sucks? Of course not, they just had a bit of an off game, and Illinois played well. But I honestly didn't think any less of OSU after that game than I did going into it. Michigan was certainly ND's off game...and no, that doesn't mean they would have won had it not been, but IMO, Michigan is not 20+ better than ND on an every game basis.

I'm one of the people that really doesn't want a rematch, and not just because ND would then have a shot. This is a semifinal game in a lot of people's minds, as it should be, being the last game of the season. I wouldn't be as excited for it as the NC. If this is the NC in theory, then so be it. But i'd rather have the winner play fla, usc, nd, etc in the NC game.

In order for ND to get in, USC would have to beat Cal soundly and then ND would have to win and look pretty solid at USC. Some of the SEC teams going down would help as well. I don't see ND beating USC on the road, but we'll see what happens.

The comments from Tressel are interesting...if they do lose to Mich, you won't have him talking about a rematch, and they wouldn't deserve one.

I think that if any team got into a NC title game having lost to another 1 loss team who isnt in the game, it would be a travesty.

UM beat ND at ND, UM has to be higher ranked if they both finish with only 1 loss.

Michigan soundly beat ND, atleast Wisconsin only lost by 14 points but I would not be so crazy as to say Wisconsin should get in.

If Michigan and OSU are the 2 best teams, I have no problem seeing them play another great game, as compared to both of them beating 2 inferior teams.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
So what about a team like ND who doesn't have a confrence? Why should they get off easy when it comes to winning their confrence like other teams have to do?

The only solution is to abolish ND from college football.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 07:56 AM)
So what about a team like ND who doesn't have a confrence? Why should they get off easy when it comes to winning their confrence like other teams have to do?

Doesnt matter, they are second tier and do not belong in the BCS championship game anyway. Give their fans a meaningless bowl game to watch and call it a season.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 03:10 AM)
They have a top 25 schedule in toughness according to Sagarin.

Not that I put much stock in Sagarin's stuff, but how much does Michigan pull that ranking up?

That schedule is highly mediocre. They did play a couple of tough games early in Georgia Tech and Michigan, and Penn State and Purdue are decent I guess (two pretty weak 7-4 teams if you ask me, but they're winning). However, there are also 3 service acadamies on the schedule, two 1-9 BCS schools, a 4-7 MSU team, and a 5-5 UCLA team. That's not exactly a murderer's row schedule, especially since the Michigan game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
I am fairly confident that 80 percent of those players have no idea who he was.

I am more confident that these players know a lot about the Michigan tradition. Not to mention they he was still involved with the football team doing media work. He collapsed while filming a show. He was still well known within Michigan.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
I am fairly confident that 80 percent of those players have no idea who he was.

Considering he has an office at the football facilities to this day, was involved with the program as an advisor, and was the main reason Carr didn't get axed after last year, I'll say the players know who we was.

NIU blows out CMU 31-10. A bizarre game since we hadn't beat anybody all year, and then blow out the only team in the MAC undefeated in league play and the champs of the west. Wolfe had over 200 yards and 3 scores and broke Michael Turner's school record for career rushing yards. We'll beat 1-10 EMU next week on the road to finish 7-5, and then it's about 50/50 if we'll make a bowl or not.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
This is one of the first things in a long time that's been hyped to death, and I'm still excited about it.

My official prediction: 27-17 Ohio State. When games are this evenly matched, I just take the team with the better QB, and plus tOSU is at home.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
My official prediction: 27-17 Ohio State. When games are this evenly matched, I just take the team with the better QB, and plus tOSU is at home.

I'm pulling for UM, but I expect OSU to win.

However, it's interesting. Everytime ESPN had the poll question up of who would win, OSU was favored by ≤8% of the nation. But today, Michigan is currently the nation's pick to win the game, with 54% of the vote.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
This is one of the first things in a long time that's been hyped to death, and I'm still excited about it.

^^^ Definitely deserves all the hype it's getting. I'm personally cheering for tOSU as I sort of, kind of like 'em. They're my 2nd favorite team in the big 10, if that counts for anything. :lol: