Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
UNC has a lot more tradition that you realize, but then again ignorance is bliss.

so does Miami University in Ohio. But i dont consider them current day juggernats

Of course we do nothing more than produce big time coaches:

The Cradle of Coaches is a nickname given to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio for producing star football coaches and including Earl Blaik, Paul Brown, Woody Hayes, Bill Arnsparger, George Little, Weeb Ewbank, Sid Gillman, Ara Parseghian, Bo Schembechler, John Pont, Carmen Cozza, Bill Mallory, Jim Tressel, Joe Novak, Ron Zook, Dick Crum, Randy Walker, Terry Hoeppner, and Sean Payton.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Miami of Ohio doesn't have the most 1,000 yard RB's in NCAA history, two top 10 finishes in the last 10 years, more NFL players than Texas, and Julius Peppers/Lawrence Taylor among the many NFL alumni.

However, nobody can touch Miami of Ohio's coaching fraternity. :)

Last time I checked LT and Peppers aren't suiting up for UNC this year. Army and Navy have had some good teams/players in the past as well. Hell, even Yale has a couple of Heisman winners. However, that's pretty irrelevant right now.

Maybe they weren't expected to be a total dog, but at best they were another middling BCS school this year.

Well, I'm confused then. We are getting upset because Notre Dame didn't schedule more top 10 programs? Georgia Tech, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, UNC, UCLA, Navy, and USC were all supposed to be good teams this year, or bowl teams in other words.

UNC ended up being a patsy because of attrition and a stubborn coach, not ND's fault.

This is coming from a person that isn't exactly a ND fan either.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Well, I'm confused then. We are getting upset because Notre Dame didn't schedule more top 10 programs? Georgia Tech, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, UNC, UCLA, Navy, and USC were all supposed to be good teams this year, or bowl teams in other words.

UNC ended up being a patsy because of attrition and a stubborn coach, not ND's fault.

Only 3 of those teams were picked to finish in the top-4 in their conference, and MSU and UNC weren't exactly unanimous choices to go to a bowl game. Plus Navy isn't exactly your typical bowl-caliber team.

I'm just saying it's far from a world-beating schedule. They basically played a Big Ten slate that skipped Wisconsin and either Minnesota or Iowa with weak out of conference games in terms of strength. Unless you go undefeated or finish with only one loss and a few teams fall apart, it's hard to make any kind of claim to the title game, especially when you lost head-to-head to one of the teams in front of you.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I dunno. Navy has won atleast 8 games each year since 03, and ND has 7 teams on their schedule that will be bowling this year. Including two top 5 opponents and 6 teams that have already won atleast 8 games.

Sure, it's not quite an SEC type schedule, but I think it's pretty fitting of a top 20 team, especially being an independent.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
I dunno. Navy has won atleast 8 games each year since 03, and ND has 7 teams on their schedule that will be bowling this year. Including two top 5 opponents and 6 teams that have already won atleast 8 games.

Sure, it's not quite an SEC type schedule, but I think it's pretty fitting of a top 20 team, especially being an independent.

Several of those records are mis-leading, many of them played very soft schedules. Obvously I can't really argue against Michigan, USC, or Georgia Tech.

However, Navy an independent though that doesn't schedule anywhere near as strong a schedule. Their two STRONGEST wins came against Air Force and Duke. Pretty much any near-.500 BCS school would be at least favored against them, many by a lot.

Purdue only played 3 winning teams all year and lost every one of them, as well as a loss to Iowa. They also skipped Michigan and OSU in conference, otherwise that would be 2 more lossees. Their best win was against 6-6 Minnesota by 6 points.

Penn State's schedule was similar. All of their losses were to strong teams, but only two of their wins came against .500 teams (Purdue and Minnesota). Their out of conference schedule (outside of ND) featured Akron, Youngstown State, and Temple. You can't get much weaker than that. They also got wins against MSU and Minnesota by a combined 5 points.

Navy is probably the weakest 8-win team in Division 1-A, and Purdue and Penn State might be the two weakest from BCS conferences. I certainly wouldn't call them good teams. That skews ND's schedule ratings a bit.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)

Thanks for the defense. Unfortunately, sometimes people put the blinders on when the words Notre Dame are involved. In my heart of hearts, ND probably doesn't deserve a shot to play for the NC over any of the other teams, but then again I don't really those teams (Arkansas/Florida, Michigan (lost last game of season to the #1 team, unfair to punish the #1 team like that), USC) deserve to play in it over ND. It probably doesn't matter in the end since OSU will probably beat whoever. That said, I think this is the type of season that suffers in the presense of the BCS. Right now we basically have only 1 game that matters: OSU vs. whoever. In the previous system, a number of teams could be in play for the title:

Suppose the season ended something like this:

Rose Bowl

OSU vs. USC

Sugar Bowl

Notre Dame vs. Arkansas/Florida

Fiesta Bowl

Michigan vs. Big 12 Winner (probably Texas)

Orange Bowl

Georgia Tech vs. West Virginia

In that scenario, an OSU loss would open up championship possibilities for at least 3 other teams: the USC/ND winner, Michigan, and Arkansas/Florida (and possibly West Virginia). I think that's way better than the current set-up.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
Thanks for the defense. Unfortunately, sometimes people put the blinders on when the words Notre Dame are involved. In my heart of hearts, ND probably doesn't deserve a shot to play for the NC over any of the other teams, but then again I don't really those teams (Arkansas/Florida, Michigan (lost last game of season to the #1 team, unfair to punish the #1 team like that), USC) deserve to play in it over ND. It probably doesn't matter in the end since OSU will probably beat whoever. That said, I think this is the type of season that suffers in the presense of the BCS. Right now we basically have only 1 game that matters: OSU vs. whoever. In the previous system, a number of teams could be in play for the title:

Suppose the season ended something like this:

Rose Bowl

OSU vs. USC

Sugar Bowl

Notre Dame vs. Arkansas/Florida

Fiesta Bowl

Michigan vs. Big 12 Winner (probably Texas)

Orange Bowl

Georgia Tech vs. West Virginia

In that scenario, an OSU loss would open up championship possibilities for at least 3 other teams: the USC/ND winner, Michigan, and Arkansas/Florida (and possibly West Virginia). I think that's way better than the current set-up.

That would open things up to more teams, but then you're deciding the National Champ by opinion instead of on the field. Let's say hypothetically that OSU, ND, Michigan, and West Virginia all finish with one loss post-bowl in that scenario. Who's the champ? There's no real way you can make a decision that doesn't screw at least 2 teams over. That's why they decided to try the BCS, there were too many indecisive final polls.

The BCS isn't perfect, but it at least gets the two teams that are generally considered the best in the country into a game to decide the title (the one major exceptio IMO being USC getting screwed in 2003). I'd personally rather see teams b****ing about who gets a shot at the title then who actually gets the title.

The only perfect system would be a playoff, but until that happens I'd rather at least see them attempt to settle things on the field. It's too bad, a playoff would work so well this year...

1st round:

OSU vs Boise State (for arguments sake, let the undefeated non-BCS school in. Wisconsin or Arkansas/Florida loser would also be acceptable, though that might change the seedings a bit)

Notre Dame vs Arkansas/Florida

USC (or ND depending on who wins) versus Texas

Michigan versus West Virginia

Edited by ZoomSlowik

People only see what they want to see.

Schedules aren't made 2 months before the season starts, either.

Year to year ND has what should be a tough schedule, period. You can't control how good those teams are a few years ahead. You schedule quality programs.

Playing the service acadamies is the same (actually better) as scheduling Ball St or any 1-AA teams that the super powers schedule.

This whole thing is just a mess, when you're having to determine who had the best loss. That's why the BCS is a piece of s***.

The two best teams should be in the championship game, and right now, the two best teams are OSU and Michigan. However, it's not fair to expect OSU to beat their rival twice in a month span. And if Michigan wins, it proves nothing, as the two teams split games.

The BCS just needs to go.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
BCS isn't perfect, but i don't want anything more than a 4 team playoff (even then, who's 4, etc? still controversy). If anyone wants to go to 8 or 16 or whatever else, i will stick with the BCS no matter how bad it may suck year in and year out.

Honestly, that's all I want, is a 4 team playoff. There will always be controversy (see bubble teams in March), but at least a lot of doubts will be erased, when teams legitimately have to earn their trophies.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
BCS isn't perfect, but i don't want anything more than a 4 team playoff (even then, who's 4, etc? still controversy). If anyone wants to go to 8 or 16 or whatever else, i will stick with the BCS no matter how bad it may suck year in and year out.

having an argument between a 4/5 team is way less relevant than trying to decide the 2nd and 3rd best. A 4 team playoff is where it should be.

I know the regular season isn't a perfect playoff, but the regular season is what makes college football awesome, because it almost is a playoff. Win every week or you are pretty much out.

Otherwise, with an 8 team (or more) playoff, basically every Michigan/OSU game will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things. And ditto for every ND/USC game, et al. It's just like, 'see you in the playoffs.' College football would suck. That's why i've tried to support the BCS year after year and hoping they make enough changes to keep it working well enough to avoid a march-style playoff that casual college football fans want.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
having an argument between a 4/5 team is way less relevant than trying to decide the 2nd and 3rd best. A 4 team playoff is where it should be.

What's wrong with an 8 team playoff? You can restore the glory of a couple of bowl games...Cotton and Gator come to mind. Cotton could even move to the new Cowboys stadium, if they sign off on that.

So you'd have a rotation of Gator, Cotton, Sugar, Fiesta, Rose, Orange and then one of those can be the plus-one each year.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)

You'd be surprised, i think. Same principle...right now you are deciding which 2 teams get a shot at the title, in this scenario you'd be deciding which 4 can even win it. 2 victories and the #4 team takes it. It'd be a lot more relevant than you think, and still filled with controversy.

I'm probably for it, but it's not like deciding the 64th team.

I'm not blaming ND for scheduling those programs, but they shouldn't get points because they scheduled them even though they are down this year.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
Sounds like Alamo Bowl for Iowa. They get a better bowl in 2006 when they are 6-6 then we got when we were 8-3 in 2000. Boo.

Travel.

There were as many Iowa fans as Minnesota fans in the humpdome on Sunday. And in the previous two games up there it was 60-40 Iowa fans.

They've sold out every bowl game they've ever played in. They drew the best non-BCS game ratings for their last 2 of the last 3 years. (they were the second highest rated non-BCS game in the other)

When the choice comes down to Iowa and Minnesota, it's no choice at all.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Sounds like Alamo Bowl for Iowa. They get a better bowl in 2006 when they are 6-6 then we got when we were 8-3 in 2000. Boo.

Its great to travel well. This is good because we still have a bowl to sell recruits to. Our season went as bad as it could get and they still were 6-6. Its a long ways from when Ferentz first came to down.

That said what an incredibly dissapointing season, but I'm glad I get to see them one last time on the year.