Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
As soon as Drew Tate leaves, I expect Iowa to perform much better, especially in tough and important games.

Albert Young needs to get his head out of his butt too. He's my favorite player on that team, or at least he became my favorite Hawk football player this offseason. As to be expected, he's been doing horribly.

Freeman is currently my favorite Hawk BBall player.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
People only see what they want to see.

Schedules aren't made 2 months before the season starts, either.

Year to year ND has what should be a tough schedule, period. You can't control how good those teams are a few years ahead. You schedule quality programs.

Playing the service acadamies is the same (actually better) as scheduling Ball St or any 1-AA teams that the super powers schedule.

You beat me to it. Schedules are made many years in advance. Hell, ND has six games already scheduled for the 2015 season, which includes Oklahoma, Rutgers and Pitt. I'm sure 9 years from now if Oklahoma is struggling again, bashers will say ND scheduled a name while they were down.

Here is the ND tentative schedule through the year 2016

Notre Dame Future Schedules

Speaking of future schedules, I found some interesting tidbits...

Ohio State will play USC in 2008 and 2009. They will play Army in 2009 and 2010. They add Miami, FL to the schedule in 2010 and 2011. Cal steps in for 2012 and 2013. Va Tech 2014 and 2015 and finally Oklahoma joins the fray in 2016 and 2017.

Florida State joins Alabama's schedule next year. Penn State and 'Bama are slated to go head-to-head in 2010 and 2011. Florida State welcomes Oklahoma to the fold in 2010 and 2011.

Michigan gets a return game from Oregon next year (returned from a few years back).

West Virginia and Auburn go toe-to-toe in 2008 and 2009.

Miami takes on Oklahoma in 2007 and 2009.

An addition to Notre Dame's schedule is they have a date with Navy on Sept 1, 2012 in Dublin, Ireland. I don't know why, but I found that to be pretty cool.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
An addition to Notre Dame's schedule is they have a date with Navy on Sept 1, 2012 in Dublin, Ireland. I don't know why, but I found that to be pretty cool.

Not sure why it's done, but it has happened in the past. They played there last in 1996, I believe.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
As soon as Drew Tate leaves, I expect Iowa to perform much better, especially in tough and important games.

He was great in 2004, but was a below average QB that held down Iowa the last 2 years. Christensen is going to be a stud too, so they will be better without Tate. They still need to find some WR's though, the fact that Douglas is their only one worth anything isn't helping.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
NOONE IS CLUTCH AS JUICE.

ESPN KNOWS IT!

Juice will lose his job if he starts next season slow, there will be 2 talented QB's in the program behind him waiting.

Not sure what that has to do with the fact that Drew Tate sucked the last 2 years, and Iowa will be better with Christensen next year though.

Tate's getting s*** because he doesn't have a defense.

Give him a defense like he had in '04, or even '05, and you're not talking about any of this.

He's not Peyton Manning. He can't win by himself.

Ask yourself this question... What's Michigan's record with Tate at QB? what about Wisconsin? I don't think either record would be any different.

What about Penn State? I'd bet they'd have 1-2 more wins. What about Michigan State with their "first round quarterback?" Ah that's probably the same. They'd be too busy mugging for the camera and planting flags for first downs.

Iowa was terrible this year, and arguably their worst loss was to Northwestern. A game where Tate went 33 minutes without throwing an incomplete pass, and they couldn't score more than 7, losing by 14 points. You can't even blame him for that loss.

When your defense allows tons of yards and doesn't turn the ball over, while the offense racks up similar yardage but continually turns the ball over -- Some of which is obviously Tate, but I'd say 4-6 of his INT's are poor plays by his WRs, and about 3 are him forcing the ball late in games when they've been in a big hole thanks to the previous turnovers -- you're not going to win many games.

All you need to know about the Hawks this season is they rank in the bottom Ten in all of football in turnover margin. Thank god for the Illinois game or they'd be last by a mile. 6-6 is actually a pretty amazing record considering their turnover problem. Maybe that's a compliment to Tate, himself.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Not sure what that has to do with the fact that Drew Tate sucked the last 2 years, and Iowa will be better with Christensen next year though.

Not if the playcalling doesn't change.

Throwing every first down, never establishing the run, and refusing to go for it on 4-and-short in the opponents territory with a s***ty defense, were huge reasons why the Hawks were terrible this year.

And ANDY F'n FENSTERMAKER. I've never hated a punter before. That guy sucks.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
[/grabbing some popcorn, knowing my team sucks]

All i commented on was a lucky play.

Also, some of the Tate hate around here comes from someone saying they'd take him over anyone but Troy Smith i think it was. No not big ten, the country. Some people went off on that.

Well I know that wasn't me.

And I posted "Drew.Tate.Is.Good" after every game in '04.

--------

Yeah, Iowa had punting problems.

Ferentz likes to play for field position, but you can't play for field position when your kicker and defense suck ass. And Yes, Fenstermaker was worse than Illinois everyday punter, the one they kept trying to replace. Look it up.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Well I know that wasn't me.

And I posted "Drew.Tate.Is.Good" after every game in '04.

--------

Yeah, Iowa had punting problems.

Ferentz likes to play for field position, but you can't play for field position when your kicker and defense suck ass. And Yes, Fenstermaker was worse than Illinois everyday punter, the one they kept trying to replace. Look it up.

I know it wasn't you.

Can i factor in our rugby style punts into the punting 'competition'?

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
I know it wasn't you.

Can i factor in our rugby style punts into the punting 'competition'?

No that's Zook being Zook. You can't blame the (admittedly poor) first string punter for that.

Here's another crazy Iowa stat, because the season's finally over, and I can finally vent...

After averaging about 4 block kicks a year under Ferentz, they didn't block a single kick in '06. They had zero punt or kick return touchdowns, and had zero defensive scores on the season.

Worst special teams ever.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Tate's getting s*** because he doesn't have a defense.

Give him a defense like he had in '04, or even '05, and you're not talking about any of this.

He's not Peyton Manning. He can't win by himself.

Ask yourself this question... What's Michigan's record with Tate at QB? what about Wisconsin? I don't think either record would be any different.

Michigan, Wisco, OSU would all be so much worse. Tate folds under any pressure, and does not play well in big games, or against pressure defenses.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
Yelton averaged 37.4, Fenstermaker 37.2

Damn, I didn't think it was possible.

I'm sure Fenstermaker's long (53) was when he punted from his own 48 so that it was a touchback too.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Michigan, Wisco, OSU would all be so much worse. Tate folds under any pressure, and does not play well in big games, or against pressure defenses.

well so does A-Rod so I guess he's got good company.