Official College Football Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
I hate the fact that coaches take jobs before the bowl season is over (those with bowls at least).

I wish all this stuff could wait til after the season is over.

If recruiting weren't such a huge deal they could. But with signing day on Feb. 1, waiting until after the bowl games would be too late for a new staff to get started.

I see RRod took the Dennis Franchione route in college coaching. You know, tell everyone how you are the happiest you've been at a specific school, your alma mater, how no other job in the world would make you happy....all the while getting those travel plans together to slither out the back door.

Good luck living up to asinine expectations at a school where you will forever be in the shadow of an alcoholic, iconic figure. Don't let the coaching turnstyle at Uof A hit your ass on the way out in a couple years either.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 05:37 AM)
I see RRod took the Dennis Franchione route in college coaching. You know, tell everyone how you are the happiest you've been at a specific school, your alma mater, how no other job in the world would make you happy....all the while getting those travel plans together to slither out the back door.

Good luck living up to asinine expectations at a school where you will forever be in the shadow of an alcoholic, iconic figure. Don't let the coaching turnstyle at Uof A hit your ass on the way out in a couple years either.

Coaches have to say stuff like that because of recruiting, that's the way it is. Fans don't understand that.I'm suprised he went out of his way to call in to a radio show though. What made the Francione situation sick is he begged the players to stay when they were on probation but he leaves the very next year.

Yes, there is a degree of coachspeak that goes on everywhere...BUT...WVU was RRods alma mater, his 'dream job', all that he wants in a job!!! Coachspeak is one thing, blatant lying to the kids that put faith in what you tell them directly, over and over, is a bit too far for my likes.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
Coaches have to say stuff like that because of recruiting, that's the way it is. Fans don't understand that.I'm suprised he went out of his way to call in to a radio show though. What made the Francione situation sick is he begged the players to stay when they were on probation but he leaves the very next year.

Actually it was how he did what you said and then took the job and left without even addressing his players. He flew straight to Texas and the assistants and AD had to meet with the players.

Obviously, what Rodriguez "did" is a moot point now, but it is far different than what Franchione did. Rodriguez never said he wasn't going to Alabama. His phone call to the radio show didn't state that. Pay attention to the words used. Had he gone through with the change, Rodriguez handled this situation more than fairly with WVU.

Capn, just has a jealous hard-on for Alabama....

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
Yes, there is a degree of coachspeak that goes on everywhere...BUT...WVU was RRods alma mater, his 'dream job', all that he wants in a job!!! Coachspeak is one thing, blatant lying to the kids that put faith in what you tell them directly, over and over, is a bit too far for my likes.

That's a bunch of crap and you know it. You have no clue if he lied to anyone!

I don't have any feelings for Bama either way. I just think that Bama fans need to get a grip on reality and see things how they really are....the Alabama head coaching job is not this end all, be all elite position that all the head coaches in the country line up to have a shot at. Bama fans think that they can just say "Our head coach position is available" and have every elite coach line up, its not true anymore. This isn't your fathers Alabama team.

Every college team in America has some misguided fans, but if you read the Alabama forums, you'll see that they are just downright delusional. Its not always about how much money you can throw at someone, thats something that the Alabama BOT can't seem to figure out.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
I don't have any feelings for Bama either way. I just think that Bama fans need to get a grip on reality and see things how they really are....the Alabama head coaching job is not this end all, be all elite position that all the head coaches in the country line up to have a shot at. Bama fans think that they can just say "Our head coach position is available" and have every elite coach line up, its not true anymore. This isn't your fathers Alabama team.

Every college team in America has some misguided fans, but if you read the Alabama forums, you'll see that they are just downright delusional. Its not always about how much money you can throw at someone, thats something that the Alabama BOT can't seem to figure out.

I agree with you to a point. But if you are objective you would realize that the Alabama job is still potentially a top 5 college football job with the coach at the helm. Having such a passionate fan base can work for or against a coach, depending on how he handles things.

Like any school with a storied history, fans are going to embrace and hang on to the past and yearn for the same in the future. There is certainy an elitist mentality with Alabama fans and it irritates the hell out of me too (remember I am an outsider living down here). Some of them are downright idiots. But that does not change that the potential for this job is great.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 06:20 AM)
I agree with you to a point. But if you are objective you would realize that the Alabama job is still potentially a top 5 college football job with the coach at the helm. Having such a passionate fan base can work for or against a coach, depending on how he handles things.

Like any school with a storied history, fans are going to embrace and hang on to the past and yearn for the same in the future. There is certainy an elitist mentality with Alabama fans and it irritates the hell out of me too (remember I am an outsider living down here). Some of them are downright idiots. But that does not change that the potential for this job is great.

I agree that have elite mentality and the fans are passionate. But top 5 is a pretty big reach, top 10 maybe.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
I agree that have elite mentality and the fans are passionate. But top 5 is a pretty big reach, top 10 maybe.

Alabama easily has the potential to be a top 5 job. Key word: potential

There really isn't any limitations on the job. It has everything necessary to be a top job:

-- history

-- passionate fan base

-- administration support

-- facilities

-- prime recruiting area

-- dominant program in state

-- ability to pay top $$

-- media the right coach can have in his hip pocket

-- existing talent

Did I miss anything?

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
So who are you hearing in that area Rex? I still think Paul Johnson is the hire to make honestly, but it seems Paul Bryant, Jr is longing for that 'wow' name still that really isn't out there, we'll see.

Right now all is quiet. I think they could look into Johnson and/or Grobe, but if they do so, they will do it on the down low. I really think they were hoping if all went right, that Saban could be a possibility if they could keep things out of the media for a week or two and the Dolphins continued to lose. They didn't do that today, so I am not sure how that affected things. Either Saban has some interest or "his people" are posturing for him, because Bama folks are still being told he is a possibility.

I think the best thing they can do at this point is not panic and be patient. I don't think it is necessary to "save" one recruiting class by rushing and not getting the right guy. There may be other names not even mentioned to this point.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Embarassing showing by NIU tonight. Granted TCU is good and I didn't expect them to win, but it would have been nice to at least see GW go out with a good game.

I don't want to be a dick, but NIU simply wasn't good this year. I would have been surprised if the game was close. I was surprised that Wolfe couldn't do anything. 28 yards on 20 carries is epically bad.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Wolfe has done very little the 2nd half of the season. I know Iowa shut his ass down and it seems like quite a few other teams have. If this guy was so special he'd find a way, even with teams stacking the boxes.

Hey hey, it's the guy who is calling Iowa over Texas :bang

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Wolfe has done very little the 2nd half of the season. I know Iowa shut his ass down and it seems like quite a few other teams have. If this guy was so special he'd find a way, even with teams stacking the boxes.

My brother in law in a NIU alum, and I have been to a lot of NIU games over the last 3 years as he has season tickets.

Wolfe is not a between the tackles runner. The only time he gets good rushes, is if either he gets a pitch or a runs a sweep and breaks around the end. Or if within the spread offense, the opposition blitzes a lot and Wolfe attacks the gaps with his speed.

What happeened this year, is that the linebackers are spreading out and taking away the sweep. Forcing him to run between the tackles, and that my is his weakness. He will have a problem in the NFL as the linebackers can run as fast as he can.

The funniest thing I saw this year and has anyone attended a NIU game. They have ripped off the Sox intro theme songs and video idea. They play the exact same sequence of songs that the sox open up to, including Thunderstruck at the end. And the video looks similiar, playing highlights from the NIU history.