After release from White Sox, Widger still wants to play

Goldmember

After release from White Sox, Widger still wants to play

Friday, August 04, 2006

By Bill Evans

Chris Widger is disappointed but content.

The Pennsville Memorial High School product and veteran catcher was put on waivers by the Chicago White Sox Wednesday for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. He had been designated for assignment on July 23 after the White Sox traded for catcher Sandy Alomar.

Widger, 35, admitted being waived could signal the end of a 15-year professional career which included at least parts of 10 seasons in the major leagues.

"I'm not going to say it's over," said Widger. "I'm not going to say I'm done playing until I exhaust all my options. If the right situation came up this year or next year, I'm not going to turn it down.

"I definitely feel I can help somebody. Whether they feel that way or not remains to be seen. But it would have to be the right situation. I'm not going back to Triple-A."

In his second season with the White Sox, a year after he helped the team win the World Series by hitting .241 and providing a strong presence behind the plate, Widger's average was .184 and he was in the midst of an 0-for-24 slump. The White Sox pitchers' ERA when Widger was catching was 5.36.

The Pennsville product admitted he wasn't producing, but he was most upset with the move because GM Ken Williams indicated to him the problem was game preparation.

"I was caught totally off-guard," said Widger. "Nobody had heard any rumors. My catching coach didn't know what was going on. I still don't know what to say about it now.

"Kenny Williams just said I had to talk to Don Cooper, our pitching coach, and our hitting coach, Greg Walker, about game preparation. But I had a one-on-one with (manager) Ozzie (Guillen), and he told me he felt I was prepared to play every single day. When you're the defending world champs and not in first place, you do have to make changes. Things we did right last year aren't happening this year, and I don't see it changing when I'm gone.

"But I was 0-for-24, batting .184. and the pitchers are 10-12 in my 22 starts. I'm not going to make any excuses. You have to look in the mirror and say, 'What can I do better?' I just don't want my work ethic criticized."

Widger was out of baseball two years ago when he declined to accept a trade from the St. Louis Cardinals to the New York Mets. He finally signed midway through the summer with the independent Camden Riversharks and played out the season in New Jersey.

Last year, Widger signed with the White Sox and beat out Ben Davis for the backup catcher's position, then helped Chicago roll to a World Series title. He played in Game 3 of the World Series against Houston, drawing a bases-loaded walk to force in a run in the 14th inning of Game 3.

"I have no bad feelings towards the organization," said Widger. "I'll always be appreciative. Last season was the happiest I've been and the most fun I had as a ballplayer. That World Series ring was something I never thought I had to have. But now that I have one, it's a feeling like no other. It's better than the first hits and first home runs.

"I had a chance to play with the best team in the world, and I'll always have that ring."

With 10 years in the big leagues, including four as a starting catcher, and that elusive ring, Widger has accomplished everything he set out to and more. He'd like to continue playing, but if he doesn't land somewhere, that's OK too.

"I've had a long career as far as I'm concerned," said Widger. "I've played with great players and caught Cy Young winners. I always dreamed of playing in the big leagues. Being from a small town like Pennsville, whether I actually believed I could, I don't know.

"If I'm done, I'm done. I spent 15 years doing what I always wanted to do."

http://www.nj.com/sports/gloucester/index.....xml&coll=8

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
You serious? I think he comes across as a grateful guy who just wishes he had not been let go.

yes, im serious.

"I was caught totally off-guard," said Widger. "Nobody had heard any rumors. My catching coach didn't know what was going on. I still don't know what to say about it now.

"Kenny Williams just said I had to talk to Don Cooper, our pitching coach, and our hitting coach, Greg Walker, about game preparation. But I had a one-on-one with (manager) Ozzie (Guillen), and he told me he felt I was prepared to play every single day. When you're the defending world champs and not in first place, you do have to make changes. Things we did right last year aren't happening this year, and I don't see it changing when I'm gone."

Oh sorry Widger, I didnt know that you were so important that we wouldnt improve without you.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
rock you are one of the most negative people ever.

Not really, in fact Im actually quite positive and supportive of our players. Widger seemed like a baby in this article IMO. And this isnt the first time in his career that he has seemed that way.

I think he was shocked at being released yes... but he seems like he has apreciated all we did for him and everything. I dont think anywhere he comes off as whiny. A course if you pick out 1 sentence you can twist what a person is actually saying.....the point is to read from begining to end.

Well, Widge will get a chance to play this year after all.

As Lord Chas mentioned, Baltimore picked him up after dealing Lopez to Boston.

FWIW, I thought he came off a bit whiny too, but I'm thinking it's just hurt feelings and wanting to stay in Chicago.

Edited by The Critic

Don't know if this was posted yet or not, but I see the transaction wire shows the Orioles signed Widger as their back up catcher after they sent Lopez to Boston. Cathcers can last a long time in the bigs even if it's just a back up role. There dosn't seem to be a lot of star talent coming up as catchers.