Andruw Jones Claimed off waivers...

SoxFan562004

Mods, please merge if necessary.

Buster Olney was on ESPN radio this afternoon and said Jones was claimed by an unknown team and the Braves and team are talking. Olney thinks that if the Braves get the 3 quality players they wanted before the deadline they'll move him, but easily could just pull him back.

Also said he doesn't know who the 2 teams are, possibly Angels or Houston

Interesting...

Olney also noted that in about 11 days, Andruw Jones will get 10/5 rights, so if the Braves hold onto him for another 2 weeks, he gets the right to veto any trades, including next season, which is the last year of his deal. I really wouldn't be shocked to see him moved.

Olney also noted last night that a lot of names were hitting the waiver wire and being called back, so the waiver deadline deals might not be as active this year.

Just figured I'd post this, since this is kind of a unique situation. I just wonder who claimed him... I really doubt it has anything to do with the White Sox.

Link

Andruw Jones claimed on waivers; 10-5 rights loom

By Buster Olney

ESPN The Magazine

With Andruw Jones only days away from gaining trade veto power, the All-Star center fielder was claimed on waivers by an unnamed team, leaving the Braves until 1 p.m. ET Saturday to decide whether to take their last opportunity to deal Jones unfettered.

That Jones was placed on waivers is unremarkable; he was one of hundreds of players, including many stars, who were placed on waivers earlier this week. What makes Jones' situation interesting is that on Aug. 15, he will gain 10-and-5 rights -- 10 years in the big leagues, five with the same team -- to block any proposed trade.

Multiple teams placed claims on Jones, according to major-league sources. But on Thursday afternoon, one team was awarded a claim on Jones. Now the Braves have two choices -- either work out a trade with the team who placed the claim by Saturday or pull Jones back from waivers. If they pull him back, they cannot trade him again for the rest of this season.

Jones' value in the trade market is relatively high right now, because he is a highly productive player locked up for only one more year -- at $13.5 million -- at a time when players like Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee might command $70 million packages on the free-agent market.

The Boston Red Sox tried to deal for Jones leading up to the trade deadline, with some intent to try to flip him to the Houston Astros for Roy Oswalt. Some scouts also think that the Los Angeles Angels, who've been looking for a bat, might have high interest in Jones.

Atlanta GM John Schuerholz, reached on his cell phone, said Friday afternoon that he would not comment on the team's internal business.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

and i'm an idiot and spelled andruw wrong. whoops....

It's kind of interesting though, his value is really high right now and he will have that no trade clause. The Braves need to make some changes this offseason to be competitive in the NL East again. The Mets, Phillies, and even Marlins should be really improved by next year.

I really can't see it being an NL team that claimed him, based on needs and the fact that they wouldn't trade him to an east team. I think the Angels claimed him, I just doubt the Astros would spend that much more money since they are already over 100 million.

Plus, the Angels have the horses to make this deal happen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
I really can't see it being an NL team that claimed him, based on needs and the fact that they wouldn't trade him to an east team. I think the Angels claimed him, I just doubt the Astros would spend that much more money since they are already over 100 million.

Plus, the Angels have the horses to make this deal happen.

The Astros' payroll is that high?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
The Astros' payroll is that high?

They're not over $100 million, but they're close, at $92M. The reasons why? Roger Clemens, Jeff Bagwell, and to a lesser extent guys like Andy Pettitte.

QUOTE(atrain081 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
It's kind of interesting though, his value is really high right now and he will have that no trade clause. The Braves need to make some changes this offseason to be competitive in the NL East again. The Mets, Phillies, and even Marlins should be really improved by next year.

The Bravos still have a real shot at that division next year. The thing that has absolutely killed them this year, beyond injuries, is the disaster that is their bullpen. Losing Farnsworth especially hurt them, which is why they were dealing for relief pitching at the break. That, and a couple of underpeforming/injured starting pitchers, but that bullpen has really been the disaster.

Their lineup is in very good shape for next year, IMO.

Giles

Renteria

Jones (with Aybar as a backup)

Jones

McCann

Francoeur

Laroche

Johnson (coming back from elbow surgery)

Their starting rotation:

Smoltz

Hudson

Hampton

Thompson

Ramirez

Doesn't look like the best rotation in history, but it's not too shabby, especially if Hudson ever finds his marbles again.

Their bullpen though is their disaster. A couple of reliable guys, or a return by Wickman, and they could make a serious run.

Also, nothing is happening here.

In order for a move to be made all players involved must clear waivers. All players on the 40-man roster that is. The obvious end-around in a deal like this is to include highly valued prospects who have yet to be placed on the 40-man, of which the White Sox have 3, Sweeney, Broadway, and Fields.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
Also, nothing is happening here.

In order for a move to be made all players involved must clear waivers. All players on the 40-man roster that is. The obvious end-around in a deal like this is to include highly valued prospects who have yet to be placed on the 40-man, of which the White Sox have 3, Sweeney, Broadway, and Fields.

A bit off topic, but the fact that we wouldn't trade Fields makes me nervous about how confident we are in bringing back Crede. Either that or we think Fields can learn how to play left, but his numbers the last 2 months down at AAA make me nervous. Figured I'd bring it up since your the guy with the best blog on the net.

/sucking up

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
A bit off topic, but the fact that we wouldn't trade Fields makes me nervous about how confident we are in bringing back Crede. Either that or we think Fields can learn how to play left, but his numbers the last 2 months down at AAA make me nervous. Figured I'd bring it up since your the guy with the best blog on the net.

/sucking up

We didn't trade Fields because there wasn't a market for him.

SD, who would have been the most obvious destination, decided to go with a proven hitter who hadn't played a game at third in, what, almost 10 years?

With Philly, SD, and I'm sure some others in the market for a young 3B this offseason, I'm sure the market will pick up, so long as Fields finishes strong. There's just not much market for an inexperienced 3B at the trade deadline. Both of those teams were better off waiting to make a deal.

We didn't trade Fields because there wasn't a market for him.

Kenny Williams must be getting different information than you. He mentioned that both Josh Fields and Ryan Sweeney were asked about multiple times in trade talks. Several non contending teams could very well want an up-and-coming 3rd baseman for 2007 and beyond. It wasn't just about the rest of 2006.

The reason Fields wasn't traded is because KW and staff wanted to keep him, for now at least.