Howard Stern Vs. Opie and Anthony

juddling

Double dare for Howard

from Opie and Anthony

Radio morning show hosts Opie and Anthony yesterday escalated their verbal attack - some might say publicity stunt - against Howard Stern by daring him to get them kicked off CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman."

Monday, on his Sirius Satellite Radio show, Stern said he had a chance to stop Opie and Anthony (who are heard on WFNY-FM and XM Satellite Radio) from appearing on Letterman later this month - but didn't.

Stern said he got a call from someone at Letterman's show three weeks ago, and suggested if he wanted, they wouldn't be booked. He said he didn't care, and would continue to go on Letterman whether O&A did or not.

However, Opie (Gregg Hughes) and Anthony (Cumia) yesterday challenged Stern to actually stop their appearance.

"Howard does this all the time," Cumia said. "He says things that can never be confirmed, there's no accountability. We are telling Howard, go ahead, put his foot down, if he can get us taken off Letterman, do it."

"We dare you," Hughes added. "He's so full of crap."

A Letterman spokeswoman confirmed the radio duo would be on the show Aug. 31. She could not confirm Stern's claims, saying Letterman's show is not in production this week or next.

There's no doubt Stern is a friend of the Letterman camp, having drawn huge ratings every time he's appeared on the show during the past 20 years. As such, it's not inconceivable that someone may have tipped him off ahead of time to the O&A booking.

That said, it would be highly unlikely Stern would meet O&A's challenge to upend their booking now, for a variety of reasons, notably, he'd look like a power-hungry creep. And to engage in the dialogue only plays into his competitors hands.

A spokesman for Stern declined to comment.

As for Stern, during a general discussion of morning radio yesterday, he said the one time he listened to O&A, they were ragging on him.

Perhaps in the best assessment of the situation, Stern noted on his show yesterday that if Opie and Anthony wanted to talk about him, fine, it keeps his name top of mind.

And by challenging him, Opie and Anthony also keep their names out there

:bang :bang

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
i got sirius and I love it, I barely ever listen to local radio, other than Sox games and the Roe Conn show.

O & A are unlistenable in my opinion, they are doing a smart thing though by trying to get publicity with a war with Stern.

I listened to O&A last week a little. Horrible. Didn't laugh once.

And I hate gimmicky radio...like 'spreading the virus'...just lame.

Stern is better than ever now on Sirius. Anyone who hasn't come over yet, you should. Howard is not coming back to testicle radio. Not happening again.

I'd consider paying for radio, but not for Stern.

I was tired of his act long before he left for satellite.

I enjoyed O&A when they were on in Chicago before, but I don't think I'll listen now.

I basically listen to news radio or sports talk, or my iPod (when it feels like working).

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
I'd consider paying for radio, but not for Stern.

Yep. My ol' lady has Sirius (for Howard), and I think he's actually worse than ever, now.

His fan base can only dwindle, as he can't make public news, nor randomly pick up rogue listeners who happen to stumble upon his now-annoying show.

Overall, I think I'd go with XM if I had to pick one...all the MLB vs a NFL + Basketball, no question.

I got bored with Sirius rather quick. Although, I don't know how great the extra 40 some odd channels of XM can be.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
I think I'd go XM too, if only for the MLB package.

I'm still a while away from even considering pay radio, though.

exactly. at this point, the only reason i would pay for radio is for some decent rock stations (Chicago really doesn't have one)... but I am satisfied with local access to sports talk and of course, local sports teams...

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
Yep. My ol' lady has Sirius (for Howard), and I think he's actually worse than ever, now.

His fan base can only dwindle, as he can't make public news, nor randomly pick up rogue listeners who happen to stumble upon his now-annoying show.

Overall, I think I'd go with XM if I had to pick one...all the MLB vs a NFL + Basketball, no question.

I got bored with Sirius rather quick. Although, I don't know how great the extra 40 some odd channels of XM can be.

A fan of the show would tell you its better now...you're not a fan...so your comment means nothing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Personally I haven't gotten the whole shock-jock thing for a while now. Really I don't think either one of them are very funny after a few days of listening.

i think most people get their opinion of stern from E!...which highlighted the girls and crazy antics. That being said, its definately not for everyone. Things I enjoy...prank phone calls, good guest interviews, general discussion and analysis of the news.

Listen to Mike North lately? This guy seems to be influenced by Stern, with the spiff he does.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
i think most people get their opinion of stern from E!...which highlighted the girls and crazy antics. That being said, its definately not for everyone. Things I enjoy...prank phone calls, good guest interviews, general discussion and analysis of the news.

Listen to Mike North lately? This guy seems to be influenced by Stern, with the spiff he does.

God no. Mike North is just horrible.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
exactly. at this point, the only reason i would pay for radio is for some decent rock stations (Chicago really doesn't have one)... but I am satisfied with local access to sports talk and of course, local sports teams...

f***** Steve is off suspension!!!!!!!

i would suggest signing up for XM or Sirius's 3-day trial on their website and listen to what's available. Stern said it best... Satelitte Radio is better than Crack!

As for Stern, I also think his show is better now than before. I only listened to him for 10 months or so on Terresterial Radio. I wanted to move over to satelitte but nothing put me over the goal line. That was until Howard left free radio.

Typically I grab Howard or one of the (3) comedy stations in the morning. 80's/90's/or Classic Radio during the day via internet connection and then CNBC/CNN Radio or one of the 5 sports talk stations on the drive home. (Thank god no more Mike & Mike or Mack, Jurko & Harry)

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
A fan of the show would tell you its better now...you're not a fan...so your comment means nothing.

It means at least as much, if not more than your comment, which I'm surprised you even got out with Howard's dick being in your mouth all the time.