Anyone worried about Jenks yet?

RockRaines

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
I actaully think the LACK of work is catching up to him. He needs to be out there on a consistant basis, and with the way the 2nd half has gone, he hasnt been able to be out there in save situations every few days like he should.

But when he gets put out for 3 games in the Baltimore series and blows the third game, people blame Ozzie for giving him TOO much work.

He looked nasty last night. He was getting his curve and slider over and was throwing 98 and he struck out 3. The ball Glaus hit, you tip your hat to that. The pitch was 98, up and away.

Now the other night against Berroa. He was just throwing his fastball.

For Jenks to be effective he needs to get that breaking pitch over. But I do see a pattern with him. Pretty much they call fastball for the first 2 strikes, then go to the breaking pitches for the out pitch. Maybe an early curve might open things up more for him.

Closers go through funks at some point in the season. I think Bobby is just coming out of his. His stuff last night was as good as it has been.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
He looked nasty last night. He was getting his curve and slider over and was throwing 98 and he struck out 3. The ball Glaus hit, you tip your hat to that. The pitch was 98, up and away.

For Jenks to be effective he needs to get that breaking pitch over. But I do see a pattern with him. Pretty much they call fastball for the first 2 strikes, then go to the breaking pitches for the out pitch. Maybe an early curve might open things up more for him.

Closers go through funks at some point in the season. I think Bobby is just coming out of his. His stuff last night was as good as it has been.

Agreed. He looked great last night. Buuuut, after he got the last out and he and AJ had done their thing, he turned and walked toward the center field camera. The look he had on his face was like he was having a heart attack. He was pale as shiot. I thought he was going to drop right there. He said something to AJ too. He had his glove over his face like "I don't think that last one was a strike" or something. (Which it wasn't.)

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
Agreed. He looked great last night. Buuuut, after he got the last out and he and AJ had done their thing, he turned and walked toward the center field camera. The look he had on his face was like he was having a heart attack. He was pale as shiot. I thought he was going to drop right there. He said something to AJ too. He had his glove over his face like "I don't think that last one was a strike" or something. (Which it wasn't.)

He was more upset probably at giving up the dong than anything. Closers are emotional creatures that live on adrenaline. When they get 3 outs its expected, when they give up a run its the end of the world.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)

It was a strike. And Bobby was nasty as hell last night. He struck out the side and more power to glaus for somehow getting to that ball.

Problem with a 100 MPH fireballer is that if a strong hitter gets a hold of a high fastball, its going to go. Thats just how it works.

I didn't see the game, so I cant comment on how Jenks looked, but he struck out the side so I guess he did pretty decent.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
Problem with a 100 MPH fireballer is that if a strong hitter gets a hold of a high fastball, its going to go. Thats just how it works.

I didn't see the game, so I cant comment on how Jenks looked, but he struck out the side so I guess he did pretty decent.

With the exception of the high heater to Glaus (which Glaus hit out by not over-swinging, letting the fastball supply the power), Jenks looked really good. He was getting the hook over, which almost always means doom for opposing hitters.

The gun on the screen had Bobby at 96-98.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
With the exception of the high heater to Glaus (which Glaus hit out by not over-swinging, letting the fastball supply the power), Jenks looked really good. He was getting the hook over, which almost always means doom for opposing hitters.

The gun on the screen had Bobby at 96-98.

Bingo, thats what the problem is with a flamethrower.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
Yeah, but that's more of a case where you tip your cap to someone if they can get to it.

It's not going to happen all that often.

Right, its not. But it will happen a bit, especially with a stronger hitter. If they just take a level swing at one, it'll go. But its incredibly hard to hit.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)

I didn't get a chance to either listen to the 9th on XM or watch the game last night. But, I see he allowed a 9th inning home run again, but at the same time K'd the side. I have some concerns, but I am not certain it's workload, just going through a funk or poor pitch selection and location? I have seen him be absolutely overpowering, but maybe it's the lack of expereince being a big league closer that catches up to him on occassion and he gets knocked around a bit.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)

I actually thought I saw the "hammer" drop down, but Troy simple pick it up from down low and send it out to center, looked the perfect version of that pitch that Glaus just did a great job with

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
I actually thought I saw the "hammer" drop down, but Troy simple pick it up from down low and send it out to center, looked the perfect version of that pitch that Glaus just did a great job with

It was just a fastball on the outside corner. Decent pitch, much better swing.