Confirmation of Vas getting the hook after 5

stretchstretch

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)

I heard this before. I will believe it when I see it. He said the same thing before the Orioles start and what happened, 5 runs later the Javy damage is done. He still left Garcia in the other night too long. Still worrying more about the starting pitcher getting the W instead of the team. Nice idea and all, lets see if he actually follows through with his words.

Here's the key language:

"I can't afford to [be overconfident] with any of my pitchers," Guillen said. "I'd rather go into the seventh, eighth, ninth innings down one run instead of six or five. With the kind of bullpen we have right now, if I see someone struggle, I'll be thinking [about replacing him].

"If you have a chance to win, I'll let you win. But if I give you that chance and you go down three runs, then I'm not going to give you that chance."

It's about time. We should have won Vazquez's last 3 starts, with JV getting the win each time. He's led every game by 2 runs after 5, and the games were against key divisional rivals.

What gets me is he used McCarthy for two innings last night after Garland was used up. Why not just plan to have McCarthy get 2-3 innings every time JV and Garcia get the start? Personally, I believe McCarthy ought to get a lot more innings these last two months. He's gone less than 60 innings, and 120 shouldn't be any stress on his arm.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I heard this before. I will believe it when I see it. He said the same thing before the Orioles start and what happened, 5 runs later the Javy damage is done. He still left Garcia in the other night too long. Still worrying more about the starting pitcher getting the W instead of the team. Nice idea and all, lets see if he actually follows through with his words.

Bottom Line.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
That means our other starters have to start going 7 consistently or else our pen will be dragging.

Does that mean when rosters expand, we'll see Tracy and Montero back?

Probably. At least some extra help in the pen.

I will be watching on WGN today. He's an enigma that's for certain. He can go 5 with the best in the game and then comes the 6th and he falls apart everytime. I want to see him get over that hump and get into the 7th anyway, if he has the makeup. He needs some sensitivity training with Ozzie maybe.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
I got a feeling Javy's turning the corner. He's been so close. Hitters tagging him the third time through the order suggests that he's not mixing up his approach the third time through. That and his penchant for hanging sliders.

DUDE, you're a genius!

:cheers :drink

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
Yes, where will we finish the season while you're at it?

I believe we will win the division in shocking and unpredictable fashion: after dominating KC for the entire season, Detroit will enter the season's final series with a one game lead on the Sox. Feeling the same sphincter clench that Cleveland felt last year, they will proceed to lose the final two games of the season while the Sox are doing something they've rarely ever done, beat the Twins in the dome late in the season, winning the last two games. Detroit will go in as the WC and lose in the first round against NY while the Sox beat Texas. NY and Chicago in the ALCS.