Where's the Vaz love?

whitesoxin'

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:10 AM)
If Buehrle threw 8 innings of one run ball while striking out 13 there would have been a thread. Am I the only one who is an avid fan of Vazquez? If he can keep this up and stay pitching to his potential, we are going to be even more feared.

There is a reason Buehrle gets a lot more love than Vaz. Anyways, today was special but it's just a start. He needs to do this for at least 3-4 more starts before I get overly excited about him. Unbelievable performance today though, no doubt.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:13 AM)
There is a reason Buehrle gets a lot more love than Vaz. Anyways, today was special but it's just a start. He needs to do this for at least 3-4 more starts befor I get overly excited about him. Unbelievable performance today though, no doubt.

Yeah I know there's a reason, but it was still great to see. If he reverts to old Javier I would be shocked and highly disappointed. He is going to finish this season strong.

I got home from work at midnight and just finished watching the game on tape. WOW, what a performance. Perhaps the best start of the year by any Sox hurler. And it wasn't against a bunch of chumps. A think he needs to follow this one up with another and then his doubts should take a back seat.

If Buehrle threw 8 innings of one run ball while striking out 13 there would have been a thread. Am I the only one who is an avid fan of Vazquez? If he can keep this up and stay pitching to his potential, we are going to be even more feared.

Mark has been, well, Mark since 2001. Not a good comparison. However, Javy, IMO, had the best single start of any of our starters this year. That was pure, filthy dominance. Now, the trick will be to string 3 or 4 of these type of starts together.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:09 AM)
Mark has been, well, Mark since 2001. Not a good comparison. However, Javy, IMO, had the best single start of any of our starters this year. That was pure, filthy dominance. Now, the trick will be to string 3 or 4 of these type of starts together.

And then to convince Garcia to try and do the same thing

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)
And then to convince Garcia to try and do the same thing

Man, I'm probably the most optimistic person on this board ( well, outside of Jphat, Heads and Kap), but I don't see it happening for Freddy. It would be different if it was just mental. But dude's stuff just isn't there. It hasn't been all year. I'm happy when Freddy can give us 6 innings and 4 earned runs.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:16 AM)
Man, I'm probably the most optimistic person on this board ( well, outside of Jphat, Heads and Kap), but I don't see it happening for Freddy. It would be different if it was just mental. But dude's stuff just isn't there. It hasn't been all year. I'm happy when Freddy can give us 6 innings and 4 earned runs.

It really is sad. It's hard to figure out WTF exactly happened too, and that's the worst part of it.

Just gotta hope he has some trade value left come the offseason, because I am not sure how exactly he could be on this team come next year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:16 AM)

I agree, but DAMN, if the Sox can get Jose, Mark, Jon and Javy to throw well on a regular basis that 8 game lead ain't so safe.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
I agree, but DAMN, if the Sox can get Jose, Mark, Jon and Javy to throw well on a regular basis that 8 game lead ain't so safe.

Especially with the way Detroit's starters have thrown the ball so far in the 2nd half of the season.

Javy always had the talent, but he's just got to put the whole package together. Hopefully this is a huge step forward for him, and the guy has some confidence out on the mound knowing "Hey I can get past that 6th inning now".

ive been gone overseas the last week, so i dont know if this was talked about, but what little info i could get on the team i saw a blurb in the international USA today that said cooper and vazquez had worked out a flaw in his mechanics in a bullpen session...clearly he got something worked out

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
ive been gone overseas the last week, so i dont know if this was talked about, but what little info i could get on the team i saw a blurb in the international USA today that said cooper and vazquez had worked out a flaw in his mechanics in a bullpen session...clearly he got something worked out

Yeah that was an article in the Trib saying he changed his arm angle. Hopefully he can continue having success with it.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 03:16 AM)

How quickly I'm forgotten. :crying

Javy's game was certainly impressive, but I thought the home plate ump was also helping him by calling all pitches on and off the edges Ks. Let's see if he can battle mentally through an ump that squeezes the plate.

Still, a win is a win, and it would be fabulous if we had one less starter that we had to baby. Gosh, is it possible that Garland, Contreras, Vazquez and Buehrle could all pitch well down the stretch? If so, we ought to be able to help Garcia get some wins too.

EVERY GAME IS CRITICAL, OZZIE. PLAY TO WIN!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 03:11 AM)
13 strikeouts was pretty impressive. Shocking but impressive also.

It shouldn't be shocking. This is why Javy makes $12 million a year, because he is capable of this sort of effort. This is why Kenny has been after him for so long, and it is why he wasn't given up on and dealt at the deadline.

He does need to string performances like this together, and I think he is certainly much more capable of that than we have seen thus far.

Here's to hoping he can do it.

Until he starts doing that on a consistent basis then it gets attributed to "a broken clock is right twice a day", and rightfully so.

1, they made a physical change to his delivery which might be effective in it's own right, but might be mentally effective to him as THE thing that worked, like a cap that hasn't been washed in two seasons or Meat wearing ladies underpants in Bull Durham, as long as he believes it's the magic bullet that all that counts

2, watching Ozzie, he, Freddy joke in the dugout after was great to see, Javy must be more relaxed after climbing that hump and being able to finally joke with the mgr about something he's been struggling to do for 3 months.

3, gotta believe he feels relieved of some massive pressure, simply for showing he could in fact do what people have been saying he couldn't....personally I'm expecting a whole new Javy from here on out