just another reason to hate AOL...

samclemens

That's not at all uncommon for many companies.

They don't search out whether you're dead or not.

All she had to do was tell the credit card company to stop payment, and they'd take care of it.

This was just another case of poor customer relations, not a problem with AOL charging a dead man.

Nice way to grab headlines there, StL Post-Dispatch...

that's why I'm glad I don't bother with AOL. So many people think they need to keep paying all that money for their e-mail or screen name... aol is a crock of spiff.

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
That's not at all uncommon for many companies.

They don't search out whether you're dead or not.

All she had to do was tell the credit card company to stop payment, and they'd take care of it.

This was just another case of poor customer relations, not a problem with AOL charging a dead man.

Nice way to grab headlines there, StL Post-Dispatch...

hmm, maybe you did not read the story. she did tell her credit card to stop payments, the company said they needed a letter from aol that she waited 6 months to be sent.

Who acctually uses AOL? Seriously I had in the early 90s when the internet was just starting out.....What does it acctually do for you that you can't have with a normal internet provider......I have AIM i dont have to pay AOL s***, and I use DeadAIM so i get no ads whatsoever.....

90s? LOL

I had an AOL account when they had less than 100,000 subscribers. I also had a GEnie account, Prodigy, Earthlink before they sucked, and before that it was dial in with your modem to the Well, ExecPC in Wisconsin, and a host of others. I kept an AOL when that was the only way to connect at hotels. Every town had a local POP, which kept long distance charges down.

AOL was a pioneer and out marketed everyone.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:41 AM)
90s? LOL

I had an AOL account when they had less than 100,000 subscribers. I also had a GEnie account, Prodigy, Earthlink before they sucked, and before that it was dial in with your modem to the Well, ExecPC in Wisconsin, and a host of others. I kept an AOL when that was the only way to connect at hotels. Every town had a local POP, which kept long distance charges down.

AOL was a pioneer and out marketed everyone.

WOW, Prodigy......

Think you got a few years on me TEX :P

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
WOW, Prodigy......

Think you got a few years on me TEX :P

GEnie was even earlier. All menu based, no GUI. Real time chats. Now dialing into BBSs that was a thril. The sounds of modems making love :D