Crede possibly to the DL

joeynach

I didn't catch the whole thing becuase I tuned in at the last second but I thought I heard the update guy say Crede's back is still bothering him and he wont play tonight and he might go to the DL. Anyone else hear this or have any info?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
Well, if this is gonna be a trend with him, I can see why they didn't trade Fields now. I can only imagine he gets more prone to back injuries the more he hurts/tweaks it.

I can see the contract nightmare now. Crede, well his agent Boras, will demand big $$ and years, and the white sox will be hesitant knowning he has an unreliable back. I think its all going to get worse before it gets better.

This would be the worst possible timing for Crede to go to the DL. I would have to think that Fields might get the call.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
Better now than later I guess. That's a blow, however.

In my opinion, later is now! If we tank in the next two weeks, our season is likely over.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
This would be the worst possible timing for Crede to go to the DL. I would have to think that Fields might get the call.

In my opinion, later is now! If we tank in the next two weeks, our season is likely over.

^^^

The horrid stretch against the Red Sox/Yankees/Tigers/Rangers/Twins has put us in a position in which we can't have anymore slumps. Even for a week.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
If Crede went to the DL and we were serious about going to the playoffs at all, Fields has to be the one called up.

Why exactly would people object to Mack being given playing time at 3rd? Fields is supposedly no gold glove winner there, even though he's played that base more lately, and this was I thought one of the big reasons why getting Mack was so important in the offseason.

Oh, and if we're talking about winning...let's also note that it would keep Rob Mackowiak out of CF for 15 days, and I can think of few things that would help us more defensively.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
Why exactly would people object to Mack being given playing time at 3rd? Fields is supposedly no gold glove winner there, even though he's played that base more lately, and this was I thought one of the big reasons why getting Mack was so important in the offseason.

Oh, and if we're talking about winning...let's also note that it would keep Rob Mackowiak out of CF for 15 days, and I can think of few things that would help us more defensively.

Fields is still relatively competent. The only other callup I could envision would be Jerry Owens if Mack went to third. Then we'd have to suffer through him in center.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)

I'd actually rather see Cintron get more playing time at 3rd base. The more I think about it, the more likely it is we call up another reliever. We play almost a month straight worth of games, and we'll need an extra pitcher. It's too bad we can't work the waiver wire and get someone better than what we have in the minors right now.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
Didn't you also say Matt Thornton would have given you a stroke by now? :P

Do you really think Fields could come up right now and produce? I really don't believe he could, think Brian Anderson in April, but worse at the plate and without the fantastic d.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
Do you really think Fields could come up right now and produce? I really don't believe he could, think Brian Anderson in April, but worse at the plate and without the fantastic d.

Whoa, worse than Anderson in April? That's rough.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)

You know I'm one to hold judgement until they come up and do something, normally. None of the options that we throw out there are going to be stellar defensively. There's different options I suppose. If this happens, it's either going to be Fields, Owens or Tracey.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)

Crede's important, don't get me wrong. But it's not like losing Dye, PK, Thome or even A.J., IMO. Get him healthy now. There's still nearly half of August and all of September to have him healthy. And remember the tear he went on after going on the DL last year...

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
Crede's important, don't get me wrong. But it's not like losing Dye, PK, Thome or even A.J., IMO. Get him healthy now. There's still nearly half of August and all of September to have him healthy. And remember the tear he went on after going on the DL last year...

Actually...he's still on that tear.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)

I disagree there. Crede is argubly our best all-around player. Losing him for any stretch is a big blow.

Play Ozuna at 3rd, occasionally spelled by Mack. People may forget, but Ozuna got to a point where he didn't do that bad over there last year. Obviously nothing like Crede, but passable.

Play Mack as 4th OF ALL positions more often (though less in CF), no more Ozuna in the OF.

Call up a 12th pitcher, especially in this long stretch w/o a break. Tracey would be best.