Broadway SL Pitcher of Week

Heads22

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
He's been doing great and if you check out our interview with John Sickels, you'll see that he thinks Lance will be in the majors next year.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't, especially with the way our pitching has performed this season. Lance and B-Mac will be a fun duo to watch in the future.

QUOTE(Hatchetman @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
even guys that turn out to be end of rotation starters have terrific AA stats. somebody do a web search on "lance dickson"

Great point. Isn't it customary in any discussion of Sox pitching prospects to bring up Scott Ruffcorn, as well? How about Feliz Diaz? He ripped up AAA, pitching in a band-box in CHA. Broadway hasn't accomplished anything like those two did yet, and they weren't big league pitchers, so I don't see any cause for optimism right now.

Just my opinion, which really is worth less than many posters here, but Broadway's numbers and the scouting reports on him make me think he won't even make it as an end of rotation guy. He has 1 pitch that might be major-league quality. His numbers look like a product of BHAM, he has a bad SO rate and gives up a ton of hits but has somehow avoided giving up runs. Carlos Marmol had a lot better numbers in the same league, and it's not like he has dominated the NL (although he does have a major league arm, so there's hope for him).

Just because Broadway is the Sox best SP prospect doesn't mean he's actually a good SP prospect.

Matt Garza will debut for the Twins this week, it'll be interesting to see how he does.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
What makes you think he can be a two or three guy? Just curious. He really does not have anything amazing in his arsenal. A plus curve but if its missing, majors can hit his fastball for sure.

Ummm, one of the best curve balls in the minors (arguably the best in the southern league) mixed in with a major league caliber changeup (still developing) and a darn solid FB (I don't get where you guys say he doesn't have one, he easily throws a major league average fastball, velocity wise).

I seriously laugh at everyone that thinks he throws everything but the kitchen sink at guys.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:09 AM)
Ummm, one of the best curve balls in the minors (arguably the best in the southern league) mixed in with a major league caliber changeup (still developing) and a darn solid FB (I don't get where you guys say he doesn't have one, he easily throws a major league average fastball, velocity wise).

I seriously laugh at everyone that thinks he throws everything but the kitchen sink at guys.

Flash is starting to gather followers...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:09 AM)

Sure Lance is going to have a great curveball and a very good changeup to go with his low 90's fastball that he can locate, but he sucks. I want guys that throw 100, they look cool and always stay healthy of course. I mean, after all, throwing 100 doesn't put stress on your arm, shoulder, or elbow.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Sure Lance is going to have a great curveball and a very good changeup to go with his low 90's fastball that he can locate, but he sucks. I want guys that throw 100, they look cool and always stay healthy of course. I mean, after all, throwing 100 doesn't put stress on your arm, shoulder, or elbow.

Technically whether you throw 86 or 100 it really doesn't matter that much, its all about the mechanics. Some guys throw 99 and look like Matt Thornton, other guys barely touch 90 and look like they are trying to throw 110.

Mechanics, body type, tons of things come into play so I'm not big on saying just cause you throw hard your more likely to get injured. In fact, I bet if someone looked up the numbers of injuries, you'd find out that 90 MPH FB pitchers get hurt just as often as a guy that throws 98.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Technically whether you throw 86 or 100 it really doesn't matter that much, its all about the mechanics. Some guys throw 99 and look like Matt Thornton, other guys barely touch 90 and look like they are trying to throw 110.

Mechanics, body type, tons of things come into play so I'm not big on saying just cause you throw hard your more likely to get injured. In fact, I bet if someone looked up the numbers of injuries, you'd find out that 90 MPH FB pitchers get hurt just as often as a guy that throws 98.

That is true, but it just seems to me like starters especially that throw above 95 seem to have poor mechanics in order to throw that hard, leading to the injuries. A guy like Thornton is incredible, he can throw 98 to 100 and not even appear to care though.

My point is I guess, in short, Broadway is going to be very good as is McCarthy. Hell, they are better than our starters right now probably. :huh:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)

You know, I understand your point, but I would be willing to bet the opposite...that there is a rough, but existent, correlation between how hard a person throws and how often they wind up with some sort of arm injury.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
You know, I understand your point, but I would be willing to bet the opposite...that there is a rough, but existent, correlation between how hard a person throws and how often they wind up with some sort of arm injury.

Yeah, I needed to be more clear. I think guys that throw 100 do get hurt more, but it's not due to the velocity, but rather the mechanics. It's just VERY hard to throw at those kind of speeds without harmful mechanics (with a guy like Thornton being a rare exception).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
My point is I guess, in short, Broadway is going to be very good as is McCarthy. Hell, they are better than our starters right now probably. :huh:

I don't mean to add on to the Broadway bashing in any way, but you can't really be serious about comparing Broadway and McCarthy. McCarthy's K/BB ratio is almost double Broadway's. McCarthy has already proven that he can be semi-successful at the big league level, not to mention AAA. We've seen McCarthy have three big league pitches. I've heard rave reviews about Broadway's curveball, but his changeup doesn't seem where it needs to be yet, and he's not doing a great job of fooling the hitters right now; he only has 100 Ks in something like 142 IP.

I think Broadway has a chance to be a good #5 innings eater who can put up a league average ERA or so, but my expectations aren't a whole lot higher than that.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I don't mean to add on to the Broadway bashing in any way, but you can't really be serious about comparing Broadway and McCarthy. McCarthy's K/BB ratio is almost double Broadway's. McCarthy has already proven that he can be semi-successful at the big league level, not to mention AAA. We've seen McCarthy have three big league pitches. I've heard rave reviews about Broadway's curveball, but his changeup doesn't seem where it needs to be yet, and he's not doing a great job of fooling the hitters right now; he only has 100 Ks in something like 142 IP.

I think Broadway has a chance to be a good #5 innings eater who can put up a league average ERA or so, but my expectations aren't a whole lot higher than that.

Nah, I said I think Broadway and McCarthy will be good. I think McCarthy is more of a 2 or 3, and Broadway is a 4 or 5. They are both going to be starters though and fill their roles well in the long run IMO.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

Vazquez gets $12M a year to do this.....