I wanna new drug...

juddling

Former Huey Lewis bassist pleads not guilty to drug charges

Mario Cipollina may not want a new drug anytime soon.

The founding member of Huey Lewis and the News with a history of law enforcement troubles pleaded not guilty Monday to felony counts of heroin and methamphetamine possession.

Cipollina, 51, the former bass player for the band, was being held in the Marin County jail without bail because the charges violated the terms of his probation for previous felony burglary and petty theft convictions, said Deputy District Attorney Linda Witong.

Cipollina was due back in court on Aug. 21. He could face more than four years in prison if convicted, Witong said.

Sheriff's investigators allegedly found small amounts of the drugs in Cipollina's pocket during a random probation search at his home in Santa Venetia, said Sgt. Jerry Jones.

His probation stemmed from an August 2004 arrest for stealing about $5,500 worth of radio control cars from a San Anselmo store. While searching his residence, police allegedly found two automatic weapons, including an M-60 machine gun. Felony gun possession charges were later dismissed.

In September 1996, he was arrested after Novato police found heroin, methamphetamine, a knife and a revolver in his possession during a traffic stop.

Cipollina played with the Huey Lewis and the News during its heyday in the 1980s, when it posted a string of 17 top-ten hits, including "The Power of Love,""Hip To Be Square" and I Want A New Drug." He left the News in 1994.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

say what you like but i was always a big Huey Lewis and the News fan. This makes me sad.. :crying