Liriano likely to DL

southsider2k5

Well Minnesota scares me WAY more than Boston does, so in that regard this is a help to us. As for Liriano, I have a different idea. I'll say I'm glad he's hurt, then maybe the baseball gods will injure one of our pitchers (Garcia, Buehrle, Vasquez) and thus put McCarthy into the rotation, which would be a big help.

While it sucks for Liriano and the Twins, it's good news for the sox. The Twins are the team that scares me far more than Boston for the wildcard. They can beat teams in many different ways that Boston can't.

Regardless of how long Liriano is out, the sox need to win games. Hoping the Twins and Boston lose theirs won't get the sox into the playoffs. The sox will have to earn a playoff bid by playing better than they have been.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
If no further rotation shuffling is done, we're facing him August 18th -- Game 1 of a three-game set. Garza's first start is against Toronto this Saturday.

I didn't look at their schedule, but this probably isn't right. Garza is essentially taking the place of the 5th starter, with Matt Smith being demoted to make room. He'll get the start Friday, I think, with the Twins delaying their decision on Liriano and who will ultimately replace him.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I didn't look at their schedule, but this probably isn't right. Garza is essentially taking the place of the 5th starter, with Matt Smith being demoted to make room. He'll get the start Friday, I think, with the Twins delaying their decision on Liriano and who will ultimately replace him.

From what I have read, this is the plan.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
By the way, this is why it's not a good idea to try to push Brandon to 200 innings this year.

McCarthy has averaged 180 innings pitched per season over the last two years with no issues. Liriano has had prior arm troubles and throws a slider with a velocity over 90 mph. Throwing the slider while moving your arm at that speed puts an enormous amount of stress on the elbow, and he uses this pitch a lot. Up front this doesn't look to be an issue of being overworked, moreso a issue with mechanics and Liriano's frame. There is no way I would look at this incident and limit McCarthy's work had he been a starter or choose to use him in a bullpen role because of it.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
McCarthy has averaged 180 innings pitched per season over the last two years with no issues. Liriano has had prior arm troubles and throws a slider with a velocity over 90 mph. Throwing the slider while moving your arm at that speed puts an enormous amount of stress on the elbow, and he uses this pitch a lot. Up front this doesn't look to be an issue of being overworked, moreso a issue with mechanics and Liriano's frame. There is no way I would look at this incident and limit McCarthy's work had he been a starter or choose to use him in a bullpen role because of it.

I understand your points, but I'll counter with this: BMac also has a very slender frame which has not yet had a lot of time to develop. He's thrown 180 innings over the last 2 years, but he's done so at ages what, 20 and 21? And his mechanics, well, we don't know fully y et, but his delivery is quite violent to my eyes. So if nothing else...I can't complain about keeping his innings low for another year. And I think that it makes sense with a lot of young pitchers...Verlander, McCarthy, Prior, Wood...etc.

As a pure baseball fan, this is horrible news. As a White Sox fan, it's like Christmas in August.

Edit: I'm not worried about bad White Sox karma, either. Watching our starting rotation for the last two months has been more than enough punishment for me.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
So, according to ESPN tonight...this elbow has been bothering Liriano for more than just the last 10 days, and he's been trying to do the classic "Pitch through it."

In other words, the Twins really ought to be worrying about that kid.

Mark Prior, AJ Burnett and Kerry Wood should take lessons. Man does that kid have heart. I do agree that it isn't the right thing to do, he was taking one for the team sort of speak and still pitched well if that's true other than his last start even though 4 earned in his case is "bad".

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Mark Prior, AJ Burnett and Kerry Wood should take lessons. Man does that kid have heart. I do agree that it isn't the right thing to do, he was taking one for the team sort of speak and still pitched well if that's true other than his last start even though 4 earned in his case is "bad".

Take lessons? Heck, I would imagine that one of the big reasons those 3 guys are so screwed up is that they found themselves on teams that were winning fairly early in their careers, and overpushed their arms/pitched through some pain. Prior in 03, Wood in 98 and 03, not so sure about Burnett in 03.