Liriano likely to DL

southsider2k5

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 04:59 AM)
Mark Prior, AJ Burnett and Kerry Wood should take lessons. Man does that kid have heart. I do agree that it isn't the right thing to do, he was taking one for the team sort of speak and still pitched well if that's true other than his last start even though 4 earned in his case is "bad".

Dont you mean Liriano should be taking lessons on what has happened to those 3? Especially for pitchers that put a lot of strain on there arms the worse thing you can do is try to pitch through it. Now things change if your team is in the playoffs/worldseries but during the regular season its no good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
Take lessons? Heck, I would imagine that one of the big reasons those 3 guys are so screwed up is that they found themselves on teams that were winning fairly early in their careers, and overpushed their arms/pitched through some pain. Prior in 03, Wood in 98 and 03, not so sure about Burnett in 03.

Jeff Torborg fished with Burnett in 02. 7 complete games while walking 90 in 204 innings on the year just sounds like a hell of a lot of friggin pitches, and with his delivery and stuff, your arm is not going to take too kindly to that.

He came out of the bullpen and started throwing 100+ pitches a game, so this should come as no surprise. Especially since he has never thrown this many pitches before, and didn't really get a chance to build up his pitch count.

I wouldn't be surprised if Verlander starts to tail off as well, not necessarily with an injury, but with arm fatigue because of the number of innings pitched. He has almost pitched 150 innings this year.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 05:03 AM)
He came out of the bullpen and started throwing 100+ pitches a game, so this should come as no surprise. Especially since he has never thrown this many pitches before, and didn't really get a chance to build up his pitch count.

I wouldn't be surprised if Verlander starts to tail off as well, not necessarily with an injury, but with arm fatigue because of the number of innings pitched. He has almost pitched 150 innings this year.

actually, after they moved Liriano from the pen to the rotation, he was on a pitch limit for the first 3 or 4 starts to strech out his arm

Today from Yahoo Sports:

The Twins are optimistic, but not totally confident, that injured left-hander Francisco Liriano will return this season.

Liriano, 12-3 with a league-leading 2.19 ERA, had a second, enhanced MRI exam Thursday when a shot of dye was injected into his arm for a better reading.

The test showed a mild chronic strain of his ulnar collateral ligament, and a clinical exam revealed weakness and stiffness in his shoulder that is causing that soreness in his forearm near his elbow.

Team physician Dr. John Steubs said Thursday night that he was "optimistic, but not totally confident" that Liriano would pitch again in 2006. For now, he'll treat the shoulder and elbow with physical therapy.

The Twins, in the middle of the AL wild-card race, lost to Toronto 5-0 on Thursday night. Manager Ron Gardenhire said following the game that he "absolutely" expected Liriano to return this year, but he refused to put a timetable on it. "However long that takes, that takes," Gardenhire said.

Liriano was upbeat in the Minnesota clubhouse before the game, though that was before the test results came back. After skipping one start to rest, Liriano was roughed up in Detroit Monday and lasted only four innings because of persistent soreness near the elbow. Afterward, he was near tears while answering questions from reporters.

Steubs said the problem wasn't made worse by Monday's outing.

Liriano said he was planning to pitch again when he's eligible to come off the disabled list in less than two weeks, but the Twins will certainly be cautious about bringing him back too soon. They're listing Liriano's absence as indefinite.

"I feel better," Liriano said. "It's not as sore."

The 22-year-old said he made a mistake by not telling Gardenhire or pitching coach Rick Anderson about his condition sooner. He first noticed pain in July, after his second outing following the All-Star break.

"I'll be all right," Liriano said. "Everything happens for a reason. I've just got to be patient."

Liriano had a similar issue in the minors in 2002, which he said kept him out four starts.

"I've just got to stay healthy and do whatever is best for me," he said.

This sounds like more than a muscle strain.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
actually, after they moved Liriano from the pen to the rotation, he was on a pitch limit for the first 3 or 4 starts to strech out his arm

Liriano Pitch Count for first 10 starts:

68 - MIL

83 - SEA

105 - LAA

91 - SEA

98 - BAL

101 - PIT

97 - HOU

86 - LAD

103 - MIL

95 - TEX

So you are talking about stretching him out with 105 pitches in his third start? I would've assumed that he would've stayed around 80 pitches for the first couple, then 90 for a few more. 105 pitches in his 3rd start out of the pen seems pretty quick. If there was a pitch limit it must have been around 105 then.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Liriano Pitch Count for first 10 starts:

68 - MIL

83 - SEA

105 - LAA

91 - SEA

98 - BAL

101 - PIT

97 - HOU

86 - LAD

103 - MIL

95 - TEX

So you are talking about stretching him out with 105 pitches in his third start? I would've assumed that he would've stayed around 80 pitches for the first couple, then 90 for a few more. 105 pitches in his 3rd start out of the pen seems pretty quick. If there was a pitch limit it must have been around 105 then.

He had a no no going in that game against the Angels, I think thats why they went a little longer with him (I was at the game and he was pitching lights out).

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
Today from Yahoo Sports:

This sounds like more than a muscle strain.

The article you quoted said Liriano had this injury in 2002 and kept him out of 4 starts.

I just read online that this injury is one that occurs repeatedly in a pitcher's career, and since this is Liriano's second case of it, I wonder what this means to his career.