nugget from 2005 world series

blazewc77

With the recent struggles of the whitesox I decided to bring a different flavor to the forum,

Last year for game 2 of the world series I had a chance to go to the game, however due to unfortunate turn of events my father fell ill with what is called cirrosis of the liver, he was very sick at the time and even though it was the first world series in Chicago since 59' I would have missed the game to be with my dad if it happen ten times. Almost 10 months later I recall that night when Konerko hit a grand slam and Pods a walk off to win the game, it brings tears to my eyes everytime i think about watching the sox win the game with my dad next to me in the hospital. My dad is feeling much better and hopefully this year we can go together to watch the playoffs.

Thanks,

Blazewc77

Good thread. I will never forget the feeling I had when Konerko hit the grand slam. It was so surreal. That's definitely the moment that stands out to me when I think about the WS. As Scoop Jackson said in his article for ESPN.com, the WS was over on that swing.

Here's a nugget for ya: I called the Konerko grand slam.

I just KNEW he was going to do it and I told everybody at the bar prior to the first pitch. And then, BAM. How weird is that?

My favorite part is that, after they caught back up, AJ's on the mound with Ozzie and he says oh well, we'll just have to break their hearts again. And that's just what we did.

Magical.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)

I just KNEW he was going to do it and I told everybody at the bar prior to the first pitch. And then, BAM. How weird is that?

I find that very hard to believe. You must have been the only person to call that, aside from the 10 people near me at the Catcher's Inn on 35th. :P

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
I remember like it just happened, I was in the right-center bleachers and everyone was just crazy.

The Catcher's Inn exploded when that happened. Beer flying everywhere, people hugging each other, chairs getting knocked over. One of the greatest memories in my life.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
The Catcher's Inn exploded when that happened. Beer flying everywhere, people hugging each other, chairs getting knocked over. One of the greatest memories in my life.

I had just gotten back from O'Hare and I walked into my house, didn't even bother to get my bags from the car, and ran to the TV, grabbed the remote from my mom (who wasn't watching it!!!!!!!!!!) and put it on. Right when I turned it on, JD got "hit" and then Paulie came up and BAM! Needless to say, I lost my voice and my mother thought I was insane. The only other moment that had made me happier was when the final second ticked off the clock during Super Bowl 36 (and I was only 9!)

RIght after Paul hit the homer, mayhem ensued, throughtout the park...and the hot dog guy in our section wiped out at the same time. It looked painful. He probably still has the scars to prove it. "hey, look what i got at the world series, a broken arm"

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
I find that very hard to believe. You must have been the only person to call that, aside from the 10 people near me at the Catcher's Inn on 35th. :P

I'm sure. But I mean I KNEW it. Like it wasn't a wish, I just stood there, transfixed, because I knew it was coming. Just one of those weird moments.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
Good thread. I will never forget the feeling I had when Konerko hit the grand slam. It was so surreal. That's definitely the moment that stands out to me when I think about the WS. As Scoop Jackson said in his article for ESPN.com, the WS was over on that swing.

I have to say, PK's grandslam was the only time I showed any extreme enthusiasm throughout the entire playoffs (minus the final out, of course). I was too afraid to really be happy for fear of jinxing anything. When Konerko hit that, I went nuts, as did the team and the fans at the game. Watching all the commotion, one of my roommates said, "this isn't over, they're celebrating too much." And he ended up being right. I think the WS was over on Pods' swing.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I have to say, PK's grandslam was the only time I showed any extreme enthusiasm throughout the entire playoffs (minus the final out, of course). I was too afraid to really be happy for fear of jinxing anything. When Konerko hit that, I went nuts, as did the team and the fans at the game. Watching all the commotion, one of my roommates said, "this isn't over, they're celebrating too much." And he ended up being right. I think the WS was over on Pods' swing.

haha...Dude you need to enjoy life more. The pessimism just oozes out of you...

On topic though...Glad your pop is doin better blazewc77.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)

My favorite part is that, after they caught back up, AJ's on the mound with Ozzie and he says oh well, we'll just have to break their hearts again. And that's just what we did.

Magical.

That's funny. As Paulie walks up, he says "What are the chances he hits a bomb here."

Seconds later, we're screaming "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARDDDD...YES!"

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
He's been on my ass for a while. Who cares?

And I'm sure a whole lot of people were sure not to be too overconfident. I bet even more did a lot of stupid things in order not to jinx the team.

Yeah...I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you posted in that. The people that didn't have some type of superstition were probably the people who went to bed after the 11th inning of Game 3.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
Yeah...I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you posted in that. The people that didn't have some type of superstition were probably the people who went to bed after the 11th inning of Game 3.

I gave up on Game 3. I didn't turn it off, but after we got down 4-0 to Oswalt, I thought we were toast.

I think the biggest emotional swing for me was Game 3 of the ALDS. I couldn't scream any louder at Ozzie for putting Marte in the ballgame, and even when he put El Duque in over any of our other bullpen arms.

And we all know how that turned out... :headbang

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
He's been on my ass for a while. Who cares?

And I'm sure a whole lot of people were sure not to be too overconfident. I bet even more did a lot of stupid things in order not to jinx the team.

Really, I didn't mean to be "on your ass" or critical, I just want you to enjoy the ride a little dude.

I was up fathom.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)

Magical.

When Paulie came to bat, realizing all of the crazy, magical and plain lucky moments that happened for the SOX at the end of the season and in the AL Playoffs, I turned to my cousins and said "Wouldnt it be something if he hits a Grand Slam right here?"

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)

Ya know...I'm very big on the superstitions and game to game rituals....the "how was I feeling"..."what was my mental frame of mind"....not so much as a fan...but when I played and still do play (not as much anymore). But one thing I've been thinking about...I know everybody says '05 is in the past...Ozzie tells his guys to put it behind them. But I keep thinkin...if I was PK...or MB...or anybody on the staff...wouldn't right now be a good time to pop in the playoff/WS DVD when I got home for some of those guys?!? Kind of rekindle some fire...the mental feeling...something...kind of like after you watch a Rocky movie you wanna kick the s*** outta something.

I'd try anything at this point. :gosox3:

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)

hahah, you were at Catchers Inn watching that? I was at Catchers Inn for the AJ dropped 3rd strike game.

I was with Longshot, who was visiting, and I was so dooooooooooooooown over the strikeout, thinking that may have been our last chance that game to come back. Longshot kept saying wait, hold on. Well, when Crede hit his "homerun", I must have jumped about 10 feet in the air while two people were trying to hug me, with flopping onto Longshots shoulders...........................crazytime

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Really, I didn't mean to be "on your ass" or critical, I just want you to enjoy the ride a little dude.

I was up fathom.

I enjoyed it plenty. I'm just not big on the "in your face, we're kicking your ass" mentality. I don't like to celebrate until it's over or else I feel like it might come back to bite me in the ass. Karma, sort of. And for me, the entire playoffs was like one big game. I didn't move from the same spot for any of the games, wore the same sweatshirt, had the same little habits during the games.

EDIT: And just to clarify that my mentality isn't always negative, I had a real feeling that Konerko was gonna hit a grandslam.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
I enjoyed it plenty. I'm just not big on the "in your face, we're kicking your ass" mentality. I don't like to celebrate until it's over or else I feel like it might come back to bite me in the ass. Karma, sort of. And for me, the entire playoffs was like one big game. I didn't move from the same spot for any of the games, wore the same sweatshirt, had the same little habits during the games.

EDIT: And just to clarify that my mentality isn't always negative, I had a real feeling that Konerko was gonna hit a grandslam.

We didn't have a lead of greater than 2 runs during the whole World Series. They were great games, but you could never feel too comfortable in them.