Game Thread 8/9/06

Jake

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
I didn't realize he only had three losses...

how is it possible that people were calling him Judy and the walking tampon in game threads a couple months ago...?

This kid is starting to look like a contender for the AL cy young.

Well Garland was basically one of the worst pitchers in baseball for the first 2 months of the season. First 11 starts:

70 IP | 88 H | 37 K | 17 HR (2.19 per game) | 6.04 ERA | 1.49 WHIP | Pathetic

Last 11 appearances:

72 IP | 78 H | 35 K | 4 HR (0.5 per game) | 3.88 ERA | 1.29 WHIP | Excellent

I wouldn't put much into his W/L record this year, he was getting an insane amount of run support so he was picking up a ton of no decisions and some wins in very high scoring games. He's been pretty damn good of late but to call him a Cy Young candidate is pretty damn insane.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
Unless the sentence is:

Pitchers like Jon Garland don't win the Cy Young.

or possibly:

Jon Garland came into custody of the Cy Young after bashing Francisco Liriano, Johan Santana, Jonathon Papelbon, Roy Halladay, Justin Verlander, and B.J. Ryan in the head with a poorly fashioned cane.

I said "starting to"

Besides its seems he and his poorly fashioned cane already happened upon Liriano... the rest of the gang of "Cy" quality pitchers better start growing eyes in the back of their head.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
I said "starting to"

Besides its seems he and his poorly fashioned cane already happened upon Liriano... the rest of the gang of "Cy" quality pitchers better start growing eyes in the back of their head.

The poorly fashioned cane will save our season. Mark my words.

Go ahead, mark 'em....

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
the rest of the gang of "Cy" quality pitchers better start growing eyes in the back of their head.

A lot of pitchers would have to literally die for Garland to have a realistic shot at the Cy Young. It's not happening, especially because his ERA will not be below 4 this year, and probably not even below 4.5.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
A lot of pitchers would have to literally die for Garland to have a realistic shot at the Cy Young. It's not happening, especially because his ERA will not be below 4 this year, and probably not even below 4.5.

Yep, even if Halladay, Verlander, Santana and Liriano all miss the rest of the regular season with exploding elbows Jon still won't get a Cy Young vote.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)

Nah... I think the serious injuries involved in being beaten by a poorly fashioned cane would probably be enough...

When was the last time a pitcher missed the last 2 months of the season and still won the Cy Young?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
Yep, even if Halladay, Verlander, Santana and Liriano all miss the rest of the regular season with exploding elbows Jon still won't get a Cy Young vote.

If Garland were to break Herschiser's record, that would drop his ERA to around 3.50. I think that would do it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
If Garland were to break Herschiser's record, that would drop his ERA to around 3.50. I think that would do it.

60 consecutive innings pitched of scoreless baseball isn't totally out of the question is it?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
60 consecutive innings pitched of scoreless baseball isn't totally out of the question is it?

Psh, its Jon Garland we're talking about. Nothing is out of the question. Last year he had those two consectutive 4 hit shutouts. Thats atleast 18. I'm sure he had some more before and after, meaning he was probably around 21-22 IP with a run.. we just need to triple that!

on espn they had some AL scouts analysis on buerlhe, garcia and vazques's problems

for buerhle he said he just isn't locating, and he needs to throw more changeups to righties

for garcia he noted the velocity is down, and he also said his breaking pitch breaks too soon so its not as effective anymore

for vazquez he said that he just can't handle the depth of an AL lineup

I think they were right on for buerhle and garcia, but they are way off on vazquez, since its more of a mental block for him

still pretty decent for espn coverage

I was at the game last night. While the Clash song "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" played in my head entering the bottom of the 9th, I decided to stay. I believe I made the right choice.

Hopefully, the momentum from last night's game can carry over. 'specially with Big Jon on the mound.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

I saw the great 9th inning on last night on WGN. It was like old times winning like we did. Konerko showed why he is such a great hitter and so did Dye. Jermaine didn't try and do to much with that pitch he singled into center on to win the game. I am really starting to believe Dye is our MVP.

I'll be watching the ESPN game tonight

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
I was at the game last night. While the Clash song "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" played in my head entering the bottom of the 9th, I decided to stay. I believe I made the right choice.

Hopefully, the momentum from last night's game can carry over. 'specially with Big Jon on the mound.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

You were seriously considering leaving a game in the 9th... when we were down by 1? You have to be down by atleast 5 to even consider leaving.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
on espn they had some AL scouts analysis on Buehrle, garcia and vazques's problems

for Buehrle he said he just isn't locating, and he needs to throw more changeups to righties

for garcia he noted the velocity is down, and he also said his breaking pitch breaks too soon so its not as effective anymore

for vazquez he said that he just can't handle the depth of an AL lineup

I think they were right on for Buehrle and garcia, but they are way off on vazquez, since its more of a mental block for him

still pretty decent for espn coverage

So glad people know how to spell Buehrle around here..

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
atleast I was consistent :P

You weren't :P you spelled it two different ways.

Ugh, I wish ESPN would show the game, CSN is already having technical problems with their audio...

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
I think Ozuna is going to go off tonight - BIG night for Pablo. Book it.

Any word on Juan and when we can expect to see him back in the lineup? It's gonna be fugly watching the freak deal to Alex tonight, I'm afraid.

I think they said tomorrow tonight, possibly Friday.

that's a creepy hair strip jon's sportin. But if it works, I hope they all grow one.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Ugh, I wish ESPN would show the game, CSN is already having technical problems with their audio...

It is on ESPN...HD no less, looks awesome.