Game Thread 8/9/06

Jake

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
What could have been? Why not appreciate how everything fell into place last year? This year, we're not creating/getting breaks, and we're having a lot of pitchers underachieve. I'm the last person to say that we should still live in 2005....but some people need a little perspective these days.

Thank you. At least we have a few reasonable people here.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He was reliable for the last two months. For our starters this year, that's pretty damn good. Garland is facing a tremendous lineup tonight, and they capitalized on every bad pitch he made. I'm not going to give up on Garland yet. He showed me a lot of guts this year bouncing back from the terrible start.

I looked at his game log and he was reliable for July and into the very beginning of August. That's not two months. A little over a month of good pitching does not a good pitcher make. I'm not giving up on Garland. I'm looking at his major league career and seeing that he really is about a 4.70 ERA kind of pitcher. That makes for a not particularly good #4 starter.

Edited by SoxHawk1980

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:06 AM)
So that's supposed to cheer us up? You're essentially telling us we should be happy because we got lucky last year. That's loser talk. I would like to see KW's reaction after telling him to watch the 2005 DVD in the middle of this season.

Actually, I'm saying that the expectations right now might be too high. This starting pitching staff is fatigued, and simply put, they're not throwing well. They can't put together a string of more than 2 good starts through the rotation. That's not going to get us in the playoffs. The Yanks, Twins, Red Sox are too good to let us play the way we have over the last 2 months and still make it. Sometimes, things all fall into place. Sometimes, they don't.

I would like to ask Ozzie why he's giving up? If he thought we still had a chance, he would have walked ARod with the open base.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
And even if they don't make the playoffs, they just won the World Series for everyone last year. Sure I'd love another playoff appearance or even another World Series title but come on, they snapped an 88 year drought.

Pathetic excuse. One I'm not subscribing to.

It's essentially shrugging your shoulders if they lose. "Oh well."

I expect consistent starting pitching from a rotation (supposedly) molded from the hand of GOD. If they're failing to achieve expectations -- that is, pitch atleast around career averages -- I'm not going to be very pleased and rest upon last years achievements.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)

I expect consistent starting pitching from a rotation (supposedly) molded from the hand of GOD. If they're failing to achieve expectations -- that is, pitch atleast around career averages -- I'm not going to be very pleased and rest upon last years achievements.

Agreed

However, if they were to actually play well, and just didn't make the playoffs, I'd be perfectly fine. Then again, if they actually play well, they are in the playoffs, so that's really a moot point. I see no way that this team could play very good baseball and not make the playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
Actually, I'm saying that the expectations right now might be too high. This starting pitching staff is fatigued, and simply put, they're not throwing well. They can't put together a string of more than 2 good starts through the rotation. That's not going to get us in the playoffs. The Yanks, Twins, Red Sox are too good to let us play the way we have over the last 2 months and still make it. Sometimes, things all fall into place. Sometimes, they don't.

I thought you were trying to make us feel better. Telling me my team might have overachieved last year and really isn't that good despite a $100 M payroll isn't going to make me feel better.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)

I would like to ask Ozzie why he's giving up? If he thought we still had a chance, he would have walked ARod with the open base.

Too high? i never thought i'd see you post something like that. every year the expectation is to win it all.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
so when they are 8 games out with 7 to play, is that the acceptable time?

And since you think it is over, why don't you just quit watching! Stop posting and stop being such a whiner.

QUOTE(S720 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
And since you think it is over, why don't you just quit watching! Stop posting and stop being such a whiner.

ah, add another to the white sox stupid population board. stop telling others what to do

Since this game is over i wanna see Pablo play and fall down making an error at every position!!!!!

LOL

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)
I thought you were trying to make us feel better. Telling me my team might have overachieved last year and really isn't that good despite a $100 M payroll isn't going to make me feel better.

First, it's a little easier to digest since we won the WS. If we would have lost in the WS, then it would have been a disasterous season if we don't make the playoffs. We're a very talented team who's playing above average this year. Last year, we were above average in terms of talent, but we played great. That type of situation happens in sports all the time.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)

The hell I'm saying oh well. I'm just as angry as anyone else. But what I'm even more angry about are whiners on here. Unlike others I just believe the Sox will be tough down the stretch.