Elias Sports Bureau Stat

CanOfCorn

• With their win over the Yankees, the White Sox are 31-19 (.620) against teams that currently have a winning record. That's the best record of its kind for any major league team.

With a lot of games against teams with winning records and the comeback last night...this is something to keep in mind. I'm not saying we'll catch the Tigers, but we could pull away from the wild card pack.

There's an obvious flaw in this, what were those teams doing when the Sox played them? It probably evens out when you consider all teams have played good teams when they were not playing well, but it's still a flaw in the stat. Nevertheless, this stat proves what some people say, this team plays down to it's competition. (See Royals and D-Rays)

If nothing else, I hope this is a good sign of things during this stretch.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 08:13 AM)
There's an obvious flaw in this, what were those teams doing when the Sox played them? It probably evens out when you consider all teams have played good teams when they were not playing well, but it's still a flaw in the stat. Nevertheless, this stat proves what some people say, this team plays down to it's competition. (See Royals and D-Rays)

If nothing else, I hope this is a good sign of things during this stretch.

Other side of that token though...is that a lot of those losses came during that stretch when the White Sox weren't playing their best either. 2 against Boston, 3 against the Yankees, 2 against Detroit, 3 against Minny, 2 against Texas all in a row (even thought Texas right noww doesn't have a winning record).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
With a lot of games against teams with winning records and the comeback last night...this is something to keep in mind. I'm not saying we'll catch the Tigers, but we could pull away from the wild card pack.

I hope this is a sign of things to come for sure, but like G&T said, the numbers might be skewed a bit

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
I hope this is a sign of things to come for sure, but like G&T said, the numbers might be skewed a bit

I think its been quite obvious that the White Sox play well against the better teams. See Playoffs 05. This team rises to the ocassion mostly. :cheers