Jermaine Dye

Steve9347

I must say, throughout this season, I have claimed that Jim Thome, not Jermaine Dye, was our team's MVP, because of the effect his presence has had on the entire lineup. However, from World Series MVP to now, I must change my vote to Jermaine Dye. Though I understand that Thome may have had an effect at the beginning of the season, Jermaine Dye has risen to the top of baseball's outfielders. He has absolutely killed the ball this season, and always seems to come up with the big hit.

Am I the only person who thinks that at the end of the season, rather than activating Dye's option for another year, the White Sox should offer him a new, 3-year deal, at around 10-12 mill per season? I think it is the right thing to do, at this point. He has more than earned that money, and should be locked up for a few more years, at least until the end of his prime. I don't care who we have in AAA (hell left field should be open!)

I was a big critic of Jermaine Dye early in 05 (when he was hitting .200). Though I dont agree with him being selected WS MVP (my vote is Crede), Jermaine Dye has continued his excellent gamesmanship and he hasnt given away any At-Bats. There are those who say Thome is the MVP so far, and those who say Dye should be the MVP. I would have to say Dye also, but I also think that Thomes mere presence in the lineup has caused Jermaine Dyes game to step up a few notches. Not sure how I would rule on this one, but Keep it Up Jermaine.

my point was more claiming that we should give him a phat raise and extend him as well. i don't know if JD could catch Big Papi, but he does have a leg up in the fact that he does field a position, and rather well.

the best thing about JD is the fact that he is humble, and he is a good guy. i remember, right after we signed him, he was on MTV's cribs. Normally not a show I watch, but Dye was on it. He's got a nice pad, and a shrine to Garth Brooks. He's such a relief from some athletes like Manny Ramirez and the Cincinatti Bengals.

Ah looove JD. yes.

I wouldn't mind locking up Dye for a couple more years, but I'd much rather he move to LF if that's the case. Now here's where I'll get s*** for being negative against such a great player, but Dye has lost more than a step in RF. In a few years, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be a liability out there. He's just too slow, but he'd make a perfect power-hitting LF as he gets older.

I also used to think Thome was our MVP, but I've moved over to Dye in the last month or so. And I can't believe he has a shrine to Garth Brooks.

we have him for 6 or 7 million next season (club option). why would we sign him to an extension? Hes going to be 33 next year i believe. if he continues this way, you negotiate an extension next season at sonme point. if not, you let him go at the age of 34. But i do love your point that left field should be open (calling any prospect with an right arm). Center is Brians, Right is JDs, left could be a FA or Fields or Sweeney. My vote is sweeney (similiar to Joe Crede imo, will need a few yrs in the bigs to reach his potential).

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
the best thing about JD is the fact that he is humble, and he is a good guy.

Yeah, I'd say sign him long term, the guy's worth it. And, regarding being humble, yea, and that's why I like Thome as well, Thome has no chip on his shoulder, seems like he'd be a great guy to have a few beers with.

QUOTE(mu mu @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Yeah, I'd say sign him long term, the guy's worth it. And, regarding being humble, yea, and that's why I like Thome as well, Thome has no chip on his shoulder, seems like he'd be a great guy to have a few beers with.

You don't sign a 33 year old with an injury past to a long term deal. We have Dye for one more after this and if continues to put up the numbers next year, you maybe offer a two-year extension. But, I would not sign him long-term because as a team you need bargain guys and he is too old to offer a long-term extension to.

No. You do not sign a 33-34 year old to a long term high dollar deal. You trade them before they start showing signs of age for good young ballplayers. Pick up the option next year, and see what happens. If he's playing well and the team isn't, trade him to a contender. As Branch Rickey said, it's better to trade them a year too soon than a year too late.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
I must say, throughout this season, I have claimed that Jim Thome, not Jermaine Dye, was our team's MVP, because of the effect his presence has had on the entire lineup. However, from World Series MVP to now, I must change my vote to Jermaine Dye. Though I understand that Thome may have had an effect at the beginning of the season, Jermaine Dye has risen to the top of baseball's outfielders. He has absolutely killed the ball this season, and always seems to come up with the big hit.

Am I the only person who thinks that at the end of the season, rather than activating Dye's option for another year, the White Sox should offer him a new, 3-year deal, at around 10-12 mill per season? I think it is the right thing to do, at this point. He has more than earned that money, and should be locked up for a few more years, at least until the end of his prime. I don't care who we have in AAA (hell left field should be open!)

Dye has had a great season, and was an excellent pick-up for what appears to be a bargain rate. I would hold off extending him however until next year. His stock right now is at an all time high, hardly the time you want to lock him in. If he continues his tear into next season, his price would probably be near what it would be right now. If he tails off a little, his price will go down. Patience I say.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
You don't sign a 33 year old with an injury past to a long term deal. We have Dye for one more after this and if continues to put up the numbers next year, you maybe offer a two-year extension. But, I would not sign him long-term because as a team you need bargain guys and he is too old to offer a long-term extension to.

i dont give a darn about baseball business. at this point, JD has earned it, and to hell with what business says, reward him for what he has done and lock him up for a few more years.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
i dont give a darn about baseball business. at this point, JD has earned it, and to hell with what business says, reward him for what he has done and lock him up for a few more years.

Did you feel the same with Frank last offseason?

I've long said that both Paulie and Dye are more consistent and more valuable to this offense (at the plate) than Jim Thome.

However, Jim Thome has one intangible and thats that he has made everyone on this offense better (Crede, AJ, Dye, even Paulie) and for that you got to give Thome some credit. Just his presence has taken so much pressure off the rest of the guys that they were able to relax and not always look for the homer and try to just do there job.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)

Two years from now, you'll have an old, slow ballclub with untradeable, overpaid veterans. If you are in the front office, you have to give a damn about baseball business. If you are just a fan, you can let your heart influence your opinions.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
Did you feel the same with Frank last offseason?

ha, no. there's quite a difference between Frank's performance last season and JD's performances... and also, for the last 3 years, JD has been healthy, while frank hasn't played a full season in years. your comparison is way off.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Two years from now, you'll have an old, slow ballclub with untradeable, overpaid veterans. If you are in the front office, you have to give a damn about baseball business. If you are just a fan, you can let your heart influence your opinions.

Well said. I'm a little concerned that next year we're going to fit that same category. However, at least our old, slow players are the ones performing well this season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
Dye has had a great season, and was an excellent pick-up for what appears to be a bargain rate. I would hold off extending him however until next year. His stock right now is at an all time high, hardly the time you want to lock him in. If he continues his tear into next season, his price would probably be near what it would be right now. If he tails off a little, his price will go down. Patience I say.

Exactly, and offer him a two-year extension next year if he holds up. Then, move him to LF. He'll be a terrible RF by that time.

exercise JD's option and make the decision next year.

we have bigger fish to fry -- finding somebody to replace Pods (who has to go), locking up Crede and making a decision on a SS. Not to mention finding another starter.

JD at the price of the option is worth it.

His current price (vs. Maggs) as well as his productivity is what has made him so valuable.

JD has just been unbelievable . I remember last year there were so many Dye bashers when he got off to the bad start, calling him "Dead." There is always so much negativty and player bashing that it keeps me from posting all that often. If it wasn't Dye it was Crede (Cruddy), Garland (Judy), Cotts, Thornton etc. and so many more.

I also realize that without criticism there would ,effectively, be nothing to talk about. As a long time Sox fan I've learned to just enjoy watching my favorite team and know that there are players who are better than others and bashing them won't make them any better.

One of my favorite players as a kid was CF Ken Berry and he couldn't hit a lick. But I'll always remember a highlight channel 32 used to run in a commercial with Ken Berry jumping up to attempt a catch on a ball over the centerfield fence. He actually jumped up and over the centerfield fence like a fosberry flop when doing a high jump. Still don't know if he caught it and would love to see it again. But if the effort's there a player ranks high in my book no matter what the results.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)

would you extend him to that type of deal if he played for your carolina knights?

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
JD has just been unbelievable . I remember last year there were so many Dye bashers when he got off to the bad start, calling him "Dead." There is always so much negativty and player bashing that it keeps me from posting all that often. If it wasn't Dye it was Crede (Cruddy), Garland (Judy), Cotts, Thornton etc. and so many more.

I also realize that without criticism there would ,effectively, be nothing to talk about. As a long time Sox fan I've learned to just enjoy watching my favorite team and know that there are players who are better than others and bashing them won't make them any better.

One of my favorite players as a kid was CF Ken Berry and he couldn't hit a lick. But I'll always remember a highlight channel 32 used to run in a commercial with Ken Berry jumping up to attempt a catch on a ball over the centerfield fence. He actually jumped up and over the centerfield fence like a fosberry flop when doing a high jump. Still don't know if he caught it and would love to see it again. But if the effort's there a player ranks high in my book no matter what the results.

I remember that play like it was yesterday. Bobby Knopp of the Angels hit it. Berry went over the fence, hit his head on the bottom of the fence and was knocked out., The ball rolled out of his glove. The umpire ran out to the fence, looked over it and signalled HR. Berry was a great defensive CF.