Buehrle/McCarthy

rowand's rowdies

Mark should be given 1 more chance to start. If he throws well, he can stay in the rotation. If not, why not put him in the bullpen? He has done it before and succeeded. He is much better suited for the bullpen than McCarthy, a career starter. Ozzie, shut the hell up. You continue to cut down Mc - "Hes not friggin Cy Young", and "He pitched bad for us last year, check the stats". CHECK YOUR F IN MOUTH OZ. He is the future. He has excelled when he gets to START. Throw JD into center field and see what happens. He won't be as well as he would be in right, where he has played. Buehrle is flexible and his arm is tired. Let him be an effective lefty out of the bullpen. We will need him in this stretch. I would do it now, but Ozzie may need another poor start to see it. Why not change it now when it looks like the team may be about to turn the corner? Come on Oz, let's be a manager instead of a player.

:gosox3:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't quite get this considering he was an out away (for a while) of going 7 innings with 3 runs (which is a darn good start).

I realize it didn't turn into that, but his last two starts have been much much better. While I don't like blaming things on the ump, Buehrle definately wasn't helped with Cooper's zone two nights ago (that said he still needs to make his pitches and execute and at times he obviously wasn't doing that).

If we need to talk about replacing anyone, its Freddy. He's the only starter on this staff that doesn't have the ability to turn things back around. His velocity is way down and I'm convinced with his lack of command that he will not ever be super sucessful without his old velocity.

Vaz has his stuff

Buehrle never needed plus stuff, needs plus command and he's made progress his past two outings

Garland is Garland

Count needs to get back on track, but who knows with his back all banged up.

QUOTE(rowand @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
Mark should be given 1 more chance to start. If he throws well, he can stay in the rotation. If not, why not put him in the bullpen? He has done it before and succeeded. He is much better suited for the bullpen than McCarthy, a career starter. Ozzie, shut the hell up. You continue to cut down Mc - "Hes not friggin Cy Young", and "He pitched bad for us last year, check the stats". CHECK YOUR F IN MOUTH OZ. He is the future. He has excelled when he gets to START. Throw JD into center field and see what happens. He won't be as well as he would be in right, where he has played. Buehrle is flexible and his arm is tired. Let him be an effective lefty out of the bullpen. We will need him in this stretch. I would do it now, but Ozzie may need another poor start to see it. Why not change it now when it looks like the team may be about to turn the corner? Come on Oz, let's be a manager instead of a player.

I don't see why MB would be suited for the pen. He did it in 2000, but that's it and his stuff isn't that good that I want to see him in late innings. If it were Vazquez then it makes some sense because he was successful for a few innings and has stuff, but I don't see how MB can replace BMac in the pen.

As for throwing JD in center ocassionally, I think that's interesting.

I couldn't believe the Guillen quote in which he said McCarthy pitched bad for the Sox last year. Yes, he struggled out of the gate. However, he was our 2nd best pitcher for the last 1/4 of the season. Ozzie doesn't need to bash McCarthy in order to justify keeping him out of the rotation.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
I couldn't believe the Guillen quote in which he said McCarthy pitched bad for the Sox last year. Yes, he struggled out of the gate. However, he was our 2nd best pitcher for the last 1/4 of the season. Ozzie doesn't need to bash McCarthy in order to justify keeping him out of the rotation.

When did he say that?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
When did he say that?

'If [starting McCarthy] went through my mind, we would have done it already,'' Guillen said. ''I think those five guys we bring -- put it this way, if we throw those five guys from my starting rotation in the air, they won't land. Somebody would pick them up.

''Everyone talks about McCarthy. Last year we threw McCarthy, and he wasn't too good either. OK? Check the records. Thank you. Everyone thinks McCarthy is [blank]-damn Cy Young.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt09.html

Ozzie is managing. He's showing one of his main players that he'll stick with him through his slump rather than give in to irrational rants from fans and media about an unproven kid who may be good, but may not be. People are talking about Brandon like they did about Garland 5 years ago. It took Garland 4 years to become an above .500 pitcher. Buehrle is roughly 30 games over .500 in his career. Ozzie doesn't need to check his f'in mouth.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
It's in the Tribune today. It's rather pathetic.

Wow, I thought the person who started this thread was just exaggerating. That's some pathetic s*** right there. And this kind of garbage makes it hard to say Ozzie doesn't play favorites. McCarthy's "bad" year is still better than what 4/5 of our rotation is doing this year.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Ozzie is managing. He's showing one of his main players that he'll stick with him through his slump rather than give in to irrational rants from fans and media about an unproven kid who may be good, but may not be. People are talking about Brandon like they did about Garland 5 years ago. It took Garland 4 years to become an above .500 pitcher. Buehrle is roughly 30 games over .500 in his career. Ozzie doesn't need to check his f'in mouth.

We all know that Ozzie isn't going to change the starting rotation. That's been obvious all season. But did he really have to make comments like that regarding McCarthy? I just don't get why he has to bash McCarthy for a rookie year campaign in which he improved drastically his 2nd time up from the minors.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
We all know that Ozzie isn't going to change the starting rotation. That's been obvious all season. But did he really have to make comments like that regarding McCarthy? I just don't get why he has to bash McCarthy for a rookie year campaign in which he improved drastically his 2nd time up from the minors.

I think he's just getting sick of hearing it. You're right, he probably shouldn't have been so blunt.

Nope. I don't care if Mark is struggling, he's earned the right to work out the issues. That last start would have been fine if it weren't for a bad call. Let him work it out.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Ozzie's diss of McCarthy and unwillingness to put him into the rotation almost feels Dusty-like. Especially when you factor in the constant days off for Brian. Why is Ozzie so averse to using his young stars?

Dusty's the opposite of Ozzie when it comes to criticizing players.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
Dusty's the opposite of Ozzie when it comes to criticizing players.

I meant as far as playing the younger players. Dusty has been notorious for always sticking with the veteran. Obviously that's not the case this year with him due to injuries and what not. Anyone with 2 eyes can see that Brian is 1000 times better in CF than Rob. The starting rotation looks unbelievably fatigued and we have a young, lively arm waiting in the wings that's being underutilized. Just seems like a waste of talent.

Why Buehrle though? His last start he was obviously left out there when he should've been yanked, and the start before that was solid. If Ozzie yanks him when he comes out on Monday in the 7th inning instead of leaving him out there, we're talking about how Mark has had 2 very good starts in a row and is starting to put it together.

I calm down my complaints a bit now because truthfully, Brandon has become our best reliever besides Jenks but it was criminally dumb to go into the season and trade away Chris Young to not use Brandon in the rotation. Clearly he was ready. It's so late in the year that I have given up hope of Mac starting. Its too bad too because Javy Vazquez could have become a dominant 2 inning power reliever down the stretch that would have been Zumaya-like

Yansy, shut your F'in mouth. There is no reason to tear down Brandon. He doesn't look like he needs it, wait, no one needs it. IT wasen't constructive criticism. It wont make him better or happier with this org, which he is the future of.

I picked Buehrle because of his success in the pen. He has done it in the past more than the others. He is also a lefty, but then again we would have 0 Lefty starting pitchers. But then again I am not a big fan of the LEfty/Righty decisions. Just because a hitter gets 30 hits out of 100 abs (official) against a lefty and only 23 out of 100 (official) against a righty, I dont see the reason to worry about it too much.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

Agree or not with him, he is probably being asked the same questions day after day. Just like it comes up here every day. Sooner or later he has to respond and use Brandon's name directly. He's saying why he doesn't think he'd be a better option, and he is correct in a way when he says lots of people think McCarthy is Superman, although yeah, he could've done it without the sarcasm.

I thought Rogers had a good column and I agree with him, it was brought up on this site a while ago by myself and others ... a good course of action (probably) would've been to DL one or more of these starters to give them a breather, and then use McCarthy or whomever from the minors. They didn't do that, and now it may be too late for that maneuver.

QUOTE(rowand @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
Yansy, shut your F'in mouth. There is no reason to tear down Brandon. He doesn't look like he needs it, wait, no one needs it. IT wasen't constructive criticism. It wont make him better or happier with this org, which he is the future of.

I picked Buehrle because of his success in the pen. He has done it in the past more than the others. He is also a lefty, but then again we would have 0 Lefty starting pitchers. But then again I am not a big fan of the LEfty/Righty decisions. Just because a hitter gets 30 hits out of 100 abs (official) against a lefty and only 23 out of 100 (official) against a righty, I dont see the reason to worry about it too much.

bro, all YAS said was that ozzie's probably sick of hearing it... take it easy.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Agree or not with him, he is probably being asked the same questions day after day. Just like it comes up here every day. Sooner or later he has to respond and use Brandon's name directly. He's saying why he doesn't think he'd be a better option, and he is correct in a way when he says lots of people think McCarthy is Superman, although yeah, he could've done it without the sarcasm.

Yep, McCarthy is definitely the "back-up QB" right now in terms of his reputation among fans. Like I said, I know that Ozzie isn't going to replace one of these starters unless there's an injury. I just didn't like the snide remarks he made about his performance last year. It was unnecessary, and it comes off as ungrateful for the HUGE boost McCarthy gave us last year. All he had to do is say that he believes his 5 guys right now are his best options. People might disagree with that, but Ozzie/KW and the ones that have to live with their decisions.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
I calm down my complaints a bit now because truthfully, Brandon has become our best reliever besides Jenks but it was criminally dumb to go into the season and trade away Chris Young to not use Brandon in the rotation. Clearly he was ready. It's so late in the year that I have given up hope of Mac starting. Its too bad too because Javy Vazquez could have become a dominant 2 inning power reliever down the stretch that would have been Zumaya-like

So the Sox traded for Vasquez...a guy who last year put up a 4.42 ERA and 1.25 WHIP primarily against the worst division in baseball(the NL West)...so McCarthy wouldn't get to start?

That doesn't make any sense, espicially when you figure Vasquez has...at best...been average for his career yet sucked most of the time.

It was also criminally dumb to trade Young for Vasquez in the first place.

Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

First it was Freddy in the pen for BMac. Then Javy (full disclosure: I suggested this too), now it's Buehrle.

I guess I'm torn between whether you let the staff work it out--at this late, crucial time--or you perform radical surgery on the starting rotation in hopes of salvaging the season.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know what the answer is, or if Ozzie is being stubborn or steadfast.

I do know that Javy was lights-out last time, that Freddy looked good last night and Buehrle? Well, apparently he went through this in 2003 for a stretch and then just snapped out of it.

But for all the trashing of all of them, including BMac: enough already! In the end, Ozzie's going to make this call and if we get burned because of it, well: we have something to talk about all during the offseason, then.