Attributes of a good poster

Texsox

Not naming names, but we keep hearing good posters have been run off the site, he's a good poster, he's a bad poster. I've lost track of what a good poster sounds like. So, tell me, what makes a good poster? Willing to debate his point of view? Willing to state his opinion and shut up? Let's not take shots at each other, although I think that would show bad posting, but talk about the attributes of a good poster. What standard should the Admins be thinking of when "cleaning up the site?"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say a Good poster, brings up something daily, that encourages dialogue.

A good poster is someone who can add something to a thread started by someone else, and of course

the good poster often makes a point others may not have thought of.

Bad posters would be people who rip other posters viewpoints, simply because they dont agree

Bad posters usually dont have their own thoughts about a subject and are quick to judge.

sums it up I think

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
The exact opposite of me.

:bang

Someone who is thought provoking, not overly pessismistic (not a shout a Fathom--b/c I consider him a good poster,) and will argue to a certain extent. you have to defend your points and opinion, but only a good manner. If you and that person disagree, then just say "agree to disagree." A good poster will defend their opinions with fact.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
not overly pessismistic (not a shout a Fathom--b/c I consider him a good poster,)

He might have the reputation, but compared to some posts recently, he's made to look optimistic.

In addition to what everyone is saying about being a good citizen and not picking or getting into fights, I think good posters are embodied in people who have original viewpoints and can make them interesting to read. By the same token, people have better reasons to post than just to hear the clatter of their own keyboard.

Edited by Drew

High post counts :D

Good posters consistently make solid points or contributions, backing them up with reasoning or facts when possible/necessary. They add more to the discussion than just length. They are not afraid to state their opinion if it goes against the crowd, and they are willing to debate the topic if someone disagrees (though hopefully not in extreme length like I often do :P ). They think about what they want to say before it is posted, so they don't end up making ridiculous or reactionary comments. They never verbally attack other posters, not only out of respect but because it weakens your argument. They don't post the same thing over and over again until people get sick of it, rather they can intelligently discuss a wide variety of topics while offering new information or viewpoints.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I enjoy my posts almost all the time, and I find myself agreeing with them quite often.

They make me laugh, they make me think, and sometimes they even make me cry.

I would never even think of putting me on "ignore".

I am not Cubsessed, but I don't belittle those who are.

I enjoyed the World Series victory VERY much, and posted about it often.

I try to see both sides of an argument, and often TAKE both sides of an argument, just so as not to disagree with anyone.

Therefore, I would have to say that I am a good poster.

But I would never be able to stay on a wall, no matter how much tape you put on me, so I cannot say that I am a GREAT poster.

One attribute that I wish I saw more of is the ability to disagree and not take it personal. Of the dozen or so posters here that I would actually walk across the street to meet, most are 180 degrees from me politically. The best examples I can give are Nuke and YASNY. We have pounded each other in politcal threads and never once has it ever been taken personally. I walked away licking my wounds, but believing that we respected each other's opinion. I never would believe that we would bait each other for sport or knowingly toss out an insult.

I love a sense of humor, someone who can laugh at himself, someone who understands that we are all talking opinions. My employer has a list of twelve attributes they like all the members to live by, most probably apply to this place: trustworthy, loyal, helpful. friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

A little depth when appropriate and brevity when that is the right thing to do. Sometimes an "I agree" really does help the conversation. And :cheers when necessary.

A good poster is someone who can take a joke, post during the bad times and good times, and won't take anything too far.

A Bad poster is someone who'll only post to bash his team or players on the team and to be negative towards anyone who disagrees with them

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
My employer has a list of twelve attributes they like all the members to live by, most probably apply to this place: trustworthy, loyal, helpful. friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Sounds like your boss was in the Boy Scouts.