Attributes of a good poster

Texsox

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
I enjoy my posts almost all the time, and I find myself agreeing with them quite often.

They make me laugh, they make me think, and sometimes they even make me cry.

I would never even think of putting me on "ignore".

I am not Cubsessed, but I don't belittle those who are.

I enjoyed the World Series victory VERY much, and posted about it often.

I try to see both sides of an argument, and often TAKE both sides of an argument, just so as not to disagree with anyone.

Therefore, I would have to say that I am a good poster.

But I would never be able to stay on a wall, no matter how much tape you put on me, so I cannot say that I am a GREAT poster.

".....and often TAKE both sides of an argument, just so as not to disagree with anyone."

Target has spines on sale.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Actually, I work for the Boy Scouts.

I'm sorry to hear that. (J/K!!!! I'm a recovering Eagle Scout)

In all earnestness, I'd like to say that I'm the best poster ever.

Seriously though, the ability to agree-to-disagree is a must for good posters. I enjoy the political discussions on this site very much, and appreciate that most arguments never stoop to name-calling.

Also, I like swearing.

TOP TEN THINGS THAT MAKE A GOOD SOXTALK.COM POSTER:

10. ABILITY TO POST "SEND [iNSERT STARTER'S NAME HERE] TO THE BULLPEN AND START B-MAC" THREAD EVERY WEEK

9. DEMONSTRATE CLINICAL SCHIZOPHRENIA, BETWEEN "WE'RE DOOMED" SCENARIOS AFTER A LOSS AND

"ALL THE PIECES ARE IN PLACE!" AFTER A WIN

8. ENTER INTO LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIHP WITH JOHN GARLAND. FIRST HALF HE WAS "JUDY"; SECOND HALF HE'S OUR ONLY HOPE, OBI WAN, OUR ONLY HOPE (THE REVERSE BEING TRUE LAST YEAR)

7. ENJOY BEING PUT IN THE DAMNED-IF-YOU-DO SITUATION OF PICKING A CENTER FIELDER TO START ONCE AND FOR ALL: ANDERSON = GREAT GLOVE AND NOODLE BAT; MACkOWIAK = OKAY BAT BUT SPECIAL-OLYMPICS-LIKE CF ABILITY

6. SECOND-GUESS OZZIE WITHOUT "REALLY" SECOND-GUESSING HIM, BY PREFACING POSTS WITH DISCLAIMERS LIKE: "I'M NOT TRYING TO BE AN ARMCHAIR MANAGER, BUT...", WHILE PARKED FIRMLY IN YOUR LAY-Z-BOY

5. PISS EVERYBODY OFF BY STARTING AN ATTENDANCE THREAD

4. PULL "RANK" WITH A NEWBIE BY TIPPING YOUR AGE: "HEY, KID! I WAS THERE WHEN LUKE APPLING HIT FOR THE CYCLE. BACK WHEN CARS COULDN'T GO UP HILLS!"

3. REFER TO NOW-DEPARTED BACKUP CATCHER AS "THE WIDGENATOR"

2. KNOW TO INSTINCTIVELY MUTE TV PLAY-BY-PLAY WHEN HAWK UTTERS DEADLY PHRASE: "WELL, BACK WHEN I WAS A PLAYER..."

1. ACKNOWLEDGE THAT GREATEST BROADCAST MOMENT IN RECENT SOX HISTORY WASN'T HAWK'S "JOOOOE! CREEEEEDE!" BUT RATHER A BORED-OUT-OF-HIS-SKULL DJ SINGING "BILLY, DON'T BE A HERO" DURING THE BROADCAST OF AN AWAY GAME

Yup, sounds good to me.

:headbang

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)

10. ABILITY TO POST "SEND [iNSERT STARTER'S NAME HERE] TO THE BULLPEN AND START B-MAC" THREAD EVERY WEEK

9. DEMONSTRATE CLINICAL SCHIZOPHRENIA, BETWEEN "WE'RE DOOMED" SCENARIOS AFTER A LOSS AND

8. ENTER INTO LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIHP WITH JOHN GARLAND. FIRST HALF HE WAS "JUDY"; SECOND HALF HE'S OUR ONLY HOPE, OBI WAN, OUR ONLY HOPE (THE REVERSE BEING TRUE LAST YEAR)

7. ENJOY BEING PUT IN THE DAMNED-IF-YOU-DO SITUATION OF PICKING A CENTER FIELDER TO START ONCE AND FOR ALL: ANDERSON = GREAT GLOVE AND NOODLE BAT; MACOWIAK = OKAY BAT BUT SPECIAL-OLYMPICS-LIKE CF ABILITY

6. SECOND-GUESS OZZIE WITHOUT "REALLY" SECOND-GUESSING HIM, BY PREFACING POSTS WITH DISCLAIMERS LIKE: "I'M NOT TRYING TO BE AN ARMCHAIR MANAGER, BUT...", WHILE PARKED FIRMLY IN YOUR LAY-Z-BOY

4. PULL "RANK" WITH A NEWBIE BY TIPPING YOUR AGE: "HEY, KID! I WAS THERE WHEN LUKE APPLING HIT FOR THE CYCLE. BACK WHEN CARS COULDN'T GO UP HILLS!"

2. KNOW TO INSTINCTIVELY MUTE TV PLAY-BY-PLAY WHEN HAWK UTTERS DEADLY PHRASE: "WELL, BACK WHEN I WAS A PLAYER..."

1. ACKNOWLEDGE THAT GREATEST BROADCAST MOMENT IN RECENT SOX HISTORY WASN'T HAWK'S "JOOOOE! CREEEEEDE!" BUT RATHER A BORED-OUT-OF-HIS-SKULL DJ SINGING "BILLY, DON'T BE A HERO" DURING THE BROADCAST OF AN AWAY GAME

Yup, sounds good to me.

POTM

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
A good poster should only talk about being a good Sox fan if they stayed up for all of Game 3 of the WS.

I'll drink to that. :drink

I remember we were at a friend's loft in the south loop watching that game. When Blum HR'd we went nuts and the neighbors came over to yell at us for being loud. "Sorry...it's only the first World Series in Chicago since 1959." Sheesh. Some people.

EDIT: I should have used Milkman's poorly fashioned cane and clubbed the neighbors.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)

7. ENJOY BEING PUT IN THE DAMNED-IF-YOU-DO SITUATION OF PICKING A CENTER FIELDER TO START ONCE AND FOR ALL: ANDERSON = GREAT GLOVE AND NOODLE BAT; MACkOWIAK = OKAY BAT BUT SPECIAL-OLYMPICS-LIKE CF ABILITY

Yup, sounds good to me.

Excellent, excellent post.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
A good poster should only talk about being a good Sox fan if they stayed up for all of Game 3 of the WS.

:cheers

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
What's wrong with John Garland, Mike McDougall, Freddie Garcia, and Scott Podsednick?

:cheers

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
I'll drink to that. :drink

I remember we were at a friend's loft in the south loop watching that game. When Blum HR'd we went nuts and the neighbors came over to yell at us for being loud. "Sorry...it's only the first World Series in Chicago since 1959." Sheesh. Some people.

EDIT: I should have used Milkman's poorly fashioned cane and clubbed the neighbors.

s*** yeah!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)

thats too easy...plenty of non good sox fans stayed up for that one....now if you watched every pitch of the marathon boston game just before the break thats better...tho i think the best one was if you stayed up in 03 to watch the game i believe vs. KC after a long rain delay, the game didnt even start til like 10 and hten colon gave up 8 runs....sox came back to nearly win

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
thats too easy...plenty of non good sox fans stayed up for that one....now if you watched every pitch of the marathon boston game just before the break thats better...tho i think the best one was if you stayed up in 03 to watch the game i believe vs. KC after a long rain delay, the game didnt even start til like 10 and hten colon gave up 8 runs....sox came back to nearly win

Especially because that game didn't mean nearly as much.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)

Trust me, I've talked to plenty of people that consider themselves "the greatest Sox fans on the planet" who went to sleep prior to the end of Game 3. Unless you're in a coma at the hospital, there's no excuse for a living Sox fan to not be able to watch the full game.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
Especially because that game didn't mean nearly as much.

I believe the game was against Detroit. I had tickets for the game, but I left after an hour and a half.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Trust me, I've talked to plenty of people that consider themselves "the greatest Sox fans on the planet" who went to sleep prior to the end of Game 3. Unless you're in a coma at the hospital, there's no excuse for a living Sox fan to not be able to watch the full game.

I believe the game was against Detroit. I had tickets for the game, but I left after an hour and a half.

You could also say the same thing about opening day this year. I was one of very few that braved the hurricane at 35th and Shields and stayed to watch a White Sox winner.