Left field

fathom

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
Consistency has been his problem. He's been up/down all year. This is one of those down periods at the moment. I'm fairly certain you'll see him turn it around soon.

Outside of the month of May Pods has been a bad player. He was absolutely terrible in April and June, in July he posted only a .330 OBP which is awful for a leadoff man, and his terrible play has continued right on into August.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
Outside of the month of May Pods has been a bad player. He was absolutely terrible in April and June, in July he posted only a .330 OBP which is awful for a leadoff man, and his terrible play has continued right on into August.

I believe it was Felix who posted Pod's numbers from April 15th through like August 2nd. Something like .287/.360/.745? That's more than respectable. Yes, he's been really bad the last week or so.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
I believe it was Felix who posted Pod's numbers from April 15th through like August 2nd. Something like .287/.360/.745? That's more than respectable. Yes, he's been really bad the last week or so.

He had a great month in May (.937 OPS) that makes those numbers look a lot better then they really are. He had OBP of .318 in June and of .330 in July. And in July he basically had one good week and he sucked the rest of the month. So like I said, he has had one good month but aside from that he has been terrible at the plate.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
He had a great month in May (.937 OPS) that makes those numbers look a lot better then they really are. He had OBP of .318 in June and of .330 in July. And in July he basically had one good week and he sucked the rest of the month. So like I said, he has had one good month but aside from that he has been terrible at the plate.

Well, you have to remember he started the season 3 for 38. Atleast some of that can be attributed to being hurt and basically having no spring training. So that right there is gonna put a dent into your overall numbers. Pod's has been streaky this year. He'll have one good week, followed by a s***ty week. He'll look good for 10 days, then follow that up with 10 days of absolute brutal offense. His OBP was over .350 about a week ago. That's better than average. He's stunk it up so far this month. But I feel confident when I say he won't hit .167 for the whole month.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Well, there is one reasonable option out there...

Jose Cruz Jr.

Of course, that'd mean that one of Gload or Ozuna would have to go.

Yeah Cruz Jr. would be IDEAL as a backup outfielder right now, since he can actually handle CF defensively, and he's good against lefties.

Makes too much sense, but the only way we'd get him would be on a minor league deal with a Septemeber call-up which probably ain't happening.

A team like Seattle with a bad OF situation would probably at least offer him a bench spot I would say.

How would everyone feel about getting Juan Pierre next year to play LF? i understad he has a pie arm, but he definatly plays better defense than Podsednik. Scott is a year older, and Pierre has 10 more SB compared to Scott, both have been caught 13 times this year .

QUOTE(beautox @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
How would everyone feel about getting Juan Pierre next year to play LF? i understad he has a pie arm, but he definatly plays better defense than Podsednik. Scott is a year older, and Pierre has 10 more SB compared to Scott, both have been caught 13 times this year .

I hope Kenny is shooting a little higher than a ~.325 OBP for his leadoff hitter, plus I need a real arm and defender in LF next year and Juan Pierre provides neither. I see Pierre as being more of a lateral move especially considering how much cash Pierre is going to command on the FA market.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
I hope Kenny is shooting a little higher than a ~.325 OBP for his leadoff hitter, plus I need a real arm and defender in LF next year and Juan Pierre provides neither. I see Pierre as being more of a lateral move especially considering how much cash Pierre is going to command on the FA market.

Yead I'd prefer a David Dellucci type of outfielder (.393 OBP) versus Juan Pierre (.322 OBP), especially when Pierre's more likely to get a better deal this off-season I would say.

QUOTE(beautox @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
right right, well Kalapse, who would you suggest? seeing how i've only read up to page 4 of this thread, (that is reasonable).

Other options could be Dave Roberts (don't know how he is defensively, I assume he's around Pods territory) but he has an .386 OBP this season for the Pads, Dellucci who I've already outlined, and Garry Matthews Jr.

Othwerwise it's pretty slim pickings with the likes of Shannon Stewart also available.

QUOTE(beautox @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:28 AM)
right right, well Kalapse, who would you suggest? seeing how i've only read up to page 4 of this thread, (that is reasonable).

At this point I'd take Brady Clark over anything we have right now. In the offseason I'd say Crawford or bust, go all out to get him in here. Garcia and Podsednik can both be moved for prospects, with Garcia bringing back something of real value and Podsednik bringing back C talent, you can package these spects along with whatever else in the system outside of Sweeney I guess and go for Crawford. Outside of him, I do like the idea of going after Delucci in free agency, I've long been a fan of his.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing us swing a deal to get the hitter we just saw hitting 9th in the Yankee line-up Melky Cabrera he's young, has good developing power, speed, has a great eye, can work the count, and can be steller in D especially playing left field. If we can somehow pray him away from the Yankees, I'd be estatic.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
I wouldn't mind at all seeing us swing a deal to get the hitter we just saw hitting 9th in the Yankee line-up Melky Cabrera he's young, has good developing power, speed, has a great eye, can work the count, and can be steller in D especially playing left field. If we can somehow pray him away from the Yankees, I'd be estatic.

They will not be trading Milky anytime soon.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)

I haven't watched him play all that much, but I was under the impression that Melkey left a lot to be desired defensively in LF.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:37 AM)
I haven't watched him play all that much, but I was under the impression that Melkey left a lot to be desired defensively in LF.

Yes, and thankfully he displayed some of that last night!

Pods finally came through last night against a pitcher who gave him off-speed stuff he could slap for hits. His two singles might have been the key hits of the ballgame. He also had a very hot stretch after the beginning of the season. So, while I would have loved for the Sox to take on Bobby Abreu's contract -- both to replace Pods and keep him away from the Yankees -- that was not in the cards. I think we are just going to have to hope Pods gets "hot" again. You could play Mack out there, but as I noted on my "turnip" post, he's actually worse against lefties.

It would also relieve a lot of the pressure if Uribe could find one of his hot streaks again. It's already helping that Iguchi seems to be out of his slump.