White Sox Loser

Butter Parque

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:00 AM)
That's the problem. The starters are not performing, but our manager insists on extending them game after game after game, and it almost always results in more runs scored for the opposition.

And then we act surprised that they're tired. As you've mentioned numerous times, their whole rationale about how they were going to use McCarthy to help take away some of the innings from our starters was an absolute crock. These starters look so tired, but Ozzie seems to be trying to push them now as if they're fresh.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
If Riske does his job, maybe Sox win. Another ESPN game where we're getting blown out, make an incredible comeback and then fall short. Ugh. Jim Thome, please do something one of these days, meaningless solo homer, strikeout or walk isn't cutting it. Win ballgames for us, stud.

Jim Thome has 18 HR with runners on, that's over half of his total HRs which is pretty damn good. 9 HR, 50 RBI, .367/.500/.785/1.285 W/ RISP. 34 AB, 2 HR, 11 RBI .265/.390/.471/.861 W/ RISP & 2 out, still not horrible.

Jim Thome is not the problem, there are so many other players to who deserve so much more blame.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
Well I was hoping to see bmac in the rotation this year, however according to Ozzie bmac was terrible last year. I guess having a 1.59 ERA down the stretch is horrible and our current rag tag group of starters are a much better option than the super stud that we dont want to trade unless we get a kings ransom.

I would love to see Ozzie call Garcia or Vazquez horrible.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
But if you're going to pull him after allowing one hit, you might as well just let the fresh pitcher start that inning. This is an argument many of us have had all year. Why wait for the pitcher to fail...give someone else the chance to come in and pitch better. As you know, our starting pitchers are not pitching to their abilities this year....we can't keep throwing them out there late in games and acting surprised that they're not getting the job done.

Because he wants to try and get out of it preserving the bullpen. I see your point, and I tentitively agree, but I can't blame Ozzie for trying to save his bullpen in the middle of this stretch without a day off.

Also, keep in mind the score at the time. I understand that you play to win every game, but if you have a chance to save the bullpen an arm so they could be used the next day when the score is closer and your team has a better chance at winning, you might want to take it. I mean seriously, who wants to waste arms during a blowout?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
Well I was hoping to see bmac in the rotation this year, however according to Ozzie bmac was terrible last year. I guess having a 1.59 ERA down the stretch is horrible and our current rag tag group of starters are a much better option than the super stud that we dont want to trade unless we get a kings ransom.

For KW pushing for the here and now, I have to wonder why he wouldn't push for BMac in the starting rotation. Especially after umptillion trade offers and his performance in the second half of the year in 05.

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
Cant agree more with the Thome comment. He cant get a clutch hit to save his life. May sound crazy but Id rather have ross gload hitting in that situation than Thome. Solo homer in the first inning is not gonna do anything for us. AHHH hes so frustrating

Old cliche. "Dont tell me what you hit, Tell me when you hit it"

I think blaming Thome is way off base here. Look at his statistics, he's having a monster season. Without Thome, we aren't .5 games up on the WC (or maybe .5 back, if the Twins won). What about the 7-8-9 today? Bases loaded, no out, and we get three straight outs? Thats bad, bad news.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
Its so disheartening for our 2-6 guys to do their job and get on base. Then to know that the next 4 guys are rallys killers waiting to happen. Once in a blue moon you can get something out of them offensively. At least BA can hold his own in CF usually.

We're a 5 man offense. If Thome, PK, Dye, Crede, or AJP don't produce, we're likely not going to get anything. Still, having 5 players you can count on to do something good every series is pretty good.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
I would love to see Ozzie call Garcia or Vazquez horrible.

If KW wants to get bmac in the rotation he needs to trade one of our starters. If we mosey into next year with what we have, bmac will be in the bullpen again for the year. Another year towards arbitration down the toliet.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
For KW pushing for the here and now, I have to wonder why he wouldn't push for BMac in the starting rotation. Especially after umptillion trade offers and his performance in the second half of the year in 05.

Thats what I don't get. We list McCarthy as untouchable, and there is no way we trade him, but we use him out of position all year, when he could be easily hold his own in the rotation. It just makes zero sense.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:04 AM)
Because he wants to try and get out of it preserving the bullpen. I see your point, and I tentitively agree, but I can't blame Ozzie for trying to save his bullpen in the middle of this stretch without a day off.

Also, keep in mind the score at the time. I understand that you play to win every game, but if you have a chance to save the bullpen an arm so they could be used the next day when the score is closer and your team has a better chance at winning, you might want to take it. I mean seriously, who wants to waste arms during a blowout?

If it's a blowout, why not pull Garland after 6 innings, and get him a little more rest. We're going to need a strong Garland the rest of the way a lot more than a strong Riske (who hasn't pitched much at all). If Ozzie was going to use Riske for 2 and MacDougal for 1 tonight, then he should have just let Riske start the inning.

Great news! Papelboner just blew a save, and KC beats Boston 5-4.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
Thats what I don't get. We list McCarthy as untouchable, and there is no way we trade him, but we use him out of position all year, when he could be easily hold his own in the rotation. It just makes zero sense.

We dont use him in the rotation because our manager thinks he is horrible.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)

And next year when he's in the rotation, he'll probably be gassed by August because of his limited use this season.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:06 AM)
If KW wants to get bmac in the rotation he needs to trade one of our starters. If we mosey into next year with what we have, bmac will be in the bullpen again for the year. Another year towards arbitration down the toliet.

Either Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Garcia, or McCarthy won't be on the Sox next year. We can all pray it's Garcia that's not here. I'd take my chances with Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, and McCarthy.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
We dont use him in the rotation because our manager thinks he is horrible.

Right, and I think Kenny needs to get Ozzie in a meeting, and show him some numbers. If Ozzie seriously thinks McCarthy sucked last year, then he should be commited.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
We're a 5 man offense. If Thome, PK, Dye, Crede, or AJP don't produce, we're likely not going to get anything. Still, having 5 players you can count on to do something good every series is pretty good.

Agreed. But Pods looks like he's swinging a spaghetti noodle up there. BA is average at best lately. And while AJP has been hitting well, it doesn't seem like he's hitting well w/ RISP lately. He seems to be swinging at a lot of bad pitches and its just frustrating.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
If the starter has given up 3 homers, and you are going to take him out if he gives up a hit, and its the 7th inning, why bother waiting for the runner to reach? The thing is Ozzie most likely had given up on the game by that point.

Well, the PFB told me that it's not a problem that Buehrle allowed 3 homers, since they were all solo.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
Agreed. But Pods looks like he's swinging a spaghetti noodle up there. BA is average at best lately. And while AJP has been hitting well, it doesn't seem like he's hitting well w/ RISP lately. He seems to be swinging at a lot of bad pitches and its just frustrating.

Podsednik has to go, and its frustrating because I, and many others, think we have the replacement sitting right on the bench: Rob Mackowiak. The guy is a killer against righties, and I think he can play LF much better than Podsednik, as it is the easiest outfield position to play. Sure, he's not your prototypical leadoff hitter, but Pods is just plain terrible right now. It's a move that makes sense.

Also, on the whole Thome thing, Jim has 3 HRs close and late which is equal to Konerko and 1 behind both Dye and Crede who have 4. So yeah, he's not not just hitting meaningless HRs.

One more thing, 4/22/06 Jim Thome single handedly won this game against the best pitcher in baseball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:03 AM)
Jim Thome has 18 HR with runners on, that's over half of his total HRs which is pretty damn good. 9 HR, 50 RBI, .367/.500/.785/1.285 W/ RISP. 34 AB, 2 HR, 11 RBI .265/.390/.471/.861 W/ RISP & 2 out, still not horrible.

Jim Thome is not the problem, there are so many other players to who deserve so much more blame.

Nice numbers but can you name the last time he got a clutch hit for us at a crucial time? I watch every game and it seems like every time he comes up late in a game and we need a homer or hit, he doesnt do anything

If u know a time when hes come through when needed..Please refresh my memory

Why not give Gload a chance to play LF? There's no chance he can be worse than Pods or Ozuna out there. Those guys can only catch fly balls hit directly at them anyways. Even Pods today said his arm is awful. However, Ozzie said he's the best we have out there, so he'll keep playing.

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Nice numbers but can you name the last time he got a clutch hit for us at a crucial time? I watch every game and it seems like every time he comes up late in a game and we need a homer or hit, he doesnt do anything

Most likely not the last one, but the solo homer against the Cards was a game winner. 8th inning I believe (possibly the 7th) and our only hit of the game. That was HUGE.

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:11 AM)

Thome doesn't hit righty pitchers with great stuff. The righties that he really hammers are sinker ball pitchers. You don't see a lot of closer with sinkers.