White Sox Loser

Butter Parque

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
Agreed, and I've thought that for a couple weeks (although I'd bet you have too). Rob gives better at bats, gets on base more, is an average left fielder (no really, he is....which is way better than Pods) and is just a better option to play LF and lead off.

Also, I remember being up 1-0 in the 1st being foregone last year, and also remember that our pitchers would actually hold leads. God that was fun.

Here's the kind of lineup I'd like to throw out there just once.

Mack LF

BA CF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

AJ C

Crede 3B

Gooch 2B

Uribe SS

It's not anything to stick with, but I think it'd be worth a one game try to shake things up. Gratned, that's the slowest 4-5-6-7 ever, I think it'd be worth a change. I also think that Brian could do well in the 2 spot. He doesn't have the black hole behind him or in front of him. The lefies would be spread in the lineup too.

Anyway, that's if Heads was manager for a day. :D God knows, we have too many auto outs at time.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
I read the title of this thread and thought it was another Freddy bashing thread.

Nope, just a real, hardcore team discussion. I haven't seen very many bash posts. The closest to that was someone calling Thome non-clutch.

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread last night.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
Remember when it seemed like we'd be up 1-0 after the first inning as a foregone conclusion last year? I love Pods as much as the next guy, but we need a new leadoff man next year. Right now, Ozuna has been off since he was hurt. I, at this point, have no problem with Mack starting in LF and leading off. At the very least, Rob's an intelligent baserunner.

I agree 100%. I said it earlier in the thread that I think Mack should be lead off and LF, it just makes perfect sense, for this team anyways. Pods isn't working, and the Podsednik Expirement needs to end soon.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)

Mack LF

BA CF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

AJ C

Crede 3B

Gooch 2B

Uribe SS

It's not anything to stick with, but I think it'd be worth a one game try to shake things up. Granted, that's the slowest 4-5-6-7 ever, I think it'd be worth a change. I also think that Brian could do well in the 2 spot. He doesn't have the black hole behind him or in front of him. The lefties would be spread in the lineup too.

Anyway, that's if Heads was manager for a day. :D God knows, we have too many auto outs at time.

Hmm, sounds good, but I disagree with BA being 2nd... his OBP is terrible and he strikes out way too often to be the #2. He would definately need to learn to walk more if he was going to be any higher than #8 or #9. Now, that's not to say he WONT learn to do that, but I don't know if he can within the next two months. Maybe next year, or in the future.

A criticism of Brian has never been taking walks. Besides, it's not like Tad is exactly a walk machine. I understand getting guys in front of our big boppers, and BA and Gooch could easily switch places, but like I said, it'd be someething I'd like to try once. Hitting in a different spot in the order changes your mindset.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
While I agree that it will take a change to get into October, I think ANYTHING can happen once we get there.

BINGO. Just get there. Once you're there, the playing field dramatically evens.

FWIW I thought last night's loss was a heartbreaker but we showed real heart and we also showed the Yankees we don't frackin' kid around. 7-0 most teams roll over. We damn near stole it from them and that's a good sign.

The bases loaded/no outs/but nobody got in inning IMO is what killed us. But we almost squeaked it out.

If you're gonna lose, that's the way to do it. Just weeks ago I was b****ing about being down 4-2 in like the 4th and never being able to climb over that. Sheeet, down 7-0 that late and we got six runs? I'll take it.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)

Mack LF

BA CF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

AJ C

Crede 3B

Gooch 2B

Uribe SS

It's not anything to stick with, but I think it'd be worth a one game try to shake things up. Gratned, that's the slowest 4-5-6-7 ever, I think it'd be worth a change. I also think that Brian could do well in the 2 spot. He doesn't have the black hole behind him or in front of him. The lefies would be spread in the lineup too.

I think Brian hitting higher than 9th would be a good idea, but I am not ready to put him in the 2 slot yet. However, I am ready to move Gooch out.....anyways, my lineup would be:

Mack in left

Dye in right

Thome as DH

Konerko at 1st

Crede at 3rd

AJ catching

Gooch at 2nd

Anderson in center

Uribe at short

Ok, Anderson at 8th doesn't seem like a big deal, but having him in between Gooch and Uribe IMO would get him a lot more pitches to hit than being in between Uribe/Cintron and Pods/Ozuna. Is that lineup very fast?? Hell no, but 1 through 7 can all hit, the top 4 will all be on base a lot, Gooch is further down in the order, and you have some speed in front of Uribe, who thrives with men on base.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
I would not be surprised at all, based on what I've seen from him since June, if BA could wind up as an ideal #2 hitter within a year or two.

Agreed, but he's not at that stage yet, especially not on a team that needs every last run and win they can get right now if we want to make the playoffs.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
A criticism of Brian has never been taking walks. Besides, it's not like Tad is exactly a walk machine. I understand getting guys in front of our big boppers, and BA and Gooch could easily switch places, but like I said, it'd be someething I'd like to try once. Hitting in a different spot in the order changes your mindset.

Yeah but BA is in the top 10 list of fewest pitches per AB. At least he was not too long ago.

Edited by BigSqwert

I'm not sure about this, but since Brian started to hit about 5 weeks ago or so, I'd guess his walk totals are down noticeably. He almost seems afraid to hit with 2 strikes, and rather tries to foul off pitches until he walks, whereas early in the count he's more aggressive and takes good swings (which is how he's been hitting much better lately).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
Remember when it seemed like we'd be up 1-0 after the first inning as a foregone conclusion last year? I love Pods as much as the next guy, but we need a new leadoff man next year. Right now, Ozuna has been off since he was hurt. I, at this point, have no problem with Mack starting in LF and leading off. At the very least, Rob's an intelligent baserunner.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
Agreed, and I've thought that for a couple weeks (although I'd bet you have too). Rob gives better at bats, gets on base more, is an average left fielder (no really, he is....which is way better than Pods) and is just a better option to play LF and lead off.

Excellent...eeeeeeeexcellent.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
Nope, just a real, hardcore team discussion. I haven't seen very many bash posts. The closest to that was someone calling Thome non-clutch.

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread last night.

I agree 100%. I said it earlier in the thread that I think Mack should be lead off and LF, it just makes perfect sense, for this team anyways. Pods isn't working, and the Podsednik Expirement needs to end soon.

Hmm, sounds good, but I disagree with BA being 2nd... his OBP is terrible and he strikes out way too often to be the #2. He would definately need to learn to walk more if he was going to be any higher than #8 or #9. Now, that's not to say he WONT learn to do that, but I don't know if he can within the next two months. Maybe next year, or in the future.

Don't go stealing my thunder.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
I've wanted Mack to start in LF everyday for almost a month now. Your probably the only guy here that's been on that soapbox longer than I have. :drink

At least the movement is building steam. Now if we could just make Ozzie see it.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
What do you mean?

Just saying that I've been pushing this issue forever.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
At least the movement is building steam. Now if we could just make Ozzie see it.

Just saying that I've been pushing this issue forever.

Oh yeah, I know. I said before that you were pushing for it. It's a PERFECT idea. But we all KNOW Ozzie ain't gonna do s*** about it, unfortunately.

What to do.. what to do...

Hey guys I'm all for this lineup idea. My take on it is that Mack is a much more aggressive baserunner than Pods has been all year so WTF not?

BTW, isn't Mack, by trade, a LF?

But this idea is fine with me. Just keep him out of center! Sheesh!

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
BTW, isn't Mack, by trade, a LF?

I believe so. Anyways, Brian in CF and Mack in LF everyday would do more for the defense really. Those 2 in those spots everyday is a HUGE improvement for the defensive outfield, and would save runs (and even more than you'd think considering how many fly balls our pitchers give up). So the lineup would prevent a ton of runs, and possibily produce a few more.

Also, with this lineup, people need to realize this isn't anything like last year. Last year, Pods HAD to get on base with an infield hit, and steal 2nd, then take 3rd on a Gooch grounder and come home on a sac fly. Now Pods can't run like that anymore, but even if he could....unless it's close and late, stolen bases really aren't worth the risk for us. This lineup just needs the guy(s) at the top to get on base, so that our stable of monters (Dye, Thome, Konerko, Crede, Piersynski to a degree) can mash them home. Mack will get on base a lot and is a very good baserunner for the most part (also important when you have people on base that much).