Freddy Bracing for Exit

DBAHO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
Trading Garcia sounds good, but these factors will lead to us getting little for him:

1. Horrible performance this season.

2. His stuff looks horrible, which makes it look like this season's downturn isn't just a fluke.

3. He's not at an age where you expect him to develop and improve.

4. He's making a hell of a lot of money.

Expect the Sox to get minor talent for him, and to give up some millions to the "lucky" team that acquires him.

I'm wondering if there's a pseudo-Kenny Williams willing to morgage talent to "win-now?" If a half-season of Greg Maddux is worth a major league shortstop -- debate his offensive abilities, yes, but he's no throw in -- then a full season of Garcia in the national league should be worth atleast two contributing players. I'd be happy with a legitimate bullpen arm and starting pitcher prospect.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
I'd be happy with a legitimate bullpen arm and starting pitcher prospect.

I'd be happy if we got the first thing you mention and estatic if some team was dumb enough to throw in a legit SP prospect in the deal.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
I'm wondering if there's a pseudo-Kenny Williams willing to morgage talent to "win-now?" If a half-season of Greg Maddux is worth a major league shortstop -- debate his offensive abilities, yes, but he's no throw in -- then a full season of Garcia in the national league should be worth atleast two contributing players. I'd be happy with a legitimate bullpen arm and starting pitcher prospect.

I agree with this. People acting as if Freddy has zero value now because of one average to below average season are kidding themselves. Sure, his value probably isn't as high as it was before the season, but he still has value.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing would make me happier this season than to see Garcia traded. I didn't see a replay of this, but I guess Garcia showed up Mackowiak after he made the error in the first inning on Tuesday. That's at least the 5th time he's done that this year.

I was at the game the and watched him after the error, and he didn't show him up. I don't know where you are getting your info from.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
I was at the game the and watched him after the error, and he didn't show him up. I don't know where you are getting your info from.

From about four different radio personalities yesterday. I didn't see the replay, as I was too busy typing "when will Ozzie learn" after the Mackowiak error.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
From about four different radio personalities yesterday. I didn't see the replay, as I was too busy typing "when will Ozzie learn" after the Mackowiak error.

The more our pitchers get pissed off after Mack makes mistakes in CF, the happier I am. Ozzie might listen to them every so often.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
With all due respect, why would any team that "wants to compete now" trade for Garcia? How does a 4.90 ERA help a team compete? Given how his stuff has turned to hamburgers, why would any team expect him to return to his old form?

The Dodgers trading for Maddux is an indication of the value of veteran starting pitchers. Freddy also has that rep of being a big game pitcher. If you think he has little or no value on the trade market, you are mistaken.

Kenny's Response; 1st the Sun - Times;

White Sox general manager Ken Williams had a meeting Thursday with starting pitcher Freddy Garcia to discuss comments the right-hander made the day before.

Williams was adamant that Garcia was not discussed in trade talks last winter.

''Obviously, it was bothering Freddy, so I went directly up to his face, looked him eye-to-eye and told him just because it was in the newspapers last year that he was going to be traded, it doesn't mean that was true,'' Williams said. ''I told him to find me one person who can validate that because it's simply not true.

''We had a plan going into the offseason to add to our pitching, not subtract any of our pitching. He was not discussed in any deal. He might have been asked for, I don't recall. But being consistent with our plan, I would have turned it down very quickly.''

As for Garcia's future, however, Williams wasn't making any promises.

''I can't help what happens out there in the rumor mill,'' he said. ''As for the future, I told him the only future I'm concerned about is the one that starts at 7 o'clock [Thursday night].''

Now the Daily Herald;

Sox general manager Kenny Williams is always looking for ways to improve the product, but he doesn’t expect to be making similar sweeping changes this off-season.

“What I see out there in the marketplace is, honestly, not too much in terms of what could be added to help this particular ballclub,’’ Williams said. “We have a young bullpen, we’ve got kids coming up that we will be able to put into a long (relief) spot and, really, that might be our only need.’’

Williams is very high on two position players at Class AAA Charlotte — third baseman Josh Fields and outfielder Ryan Sweeney. Fields might be sent to winter ball to learn to play outfield this off-season.

“We have position players who can come up and perform better than any other free agent who is going to be out there and available to us,’’ Williams said. “We like our players in the current mix we have here right now.’’

More rumors: White Sox general manager Kenny Williams shot down yet another rumor that he was trying to trade starting pitcher Freddy Garcia last off-season.

“I can’t help what happens out there in the rumor mill,’’ Williams said. “In terms of last off-season, he was not being shopped and he was not being traded. That was not consistent with our plan, and I told him.

“As for the future, I told him the only future I’m concerned about is the one that starts at 7 o’clock tonight.’’

This off-season, Williams is expected to shop one of the Sox’ current starters to open a spot for Brandon McCarthy.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
The Dodgers trading for Maddux is an indication of the value of veteran starting pitchers. Freddy also has that rep of being a big game pitcher. If you think he has little or no value on the trade market, you are mistaken.

Right as always . . .