Who, in your opinion is...

rangercal

This can make for a great debate.

Overrated

Player: Derek Jeter -Yankees

Manager: Joe Torre - Yankees

GM: Brian Cashman-Yankees

Im not saying they are below average at what they do, I just feel they are MOST overrated in baseball.

Underrated

Player: Miguel Cabrera -Marlins

Manager: Ron Gardenhire -Twins

GM: Terry Ryan -Twins

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most overrated player - easy... Kerry Wood. No single player in history has parlayed a one game performance (20 Ks) into such a lucrative career... financially and in hype.

Most overrated Manager - Not really sure... probably Dusty to be honest. He's easily one of the three worst on-the-field managers in baseball. He'll lose his job this year... but some dumbass team will sign him up to be a manager.

Most overrated GM - Cashman is the easy answer... but I give him some credit for dealing with Steinbrenner. So I'll say Theo Epstein. He's basically Cashman's clone with slightly less money...

Underrated:

Player: Jermaine Dye

Manager: Bobby Cox (he get no pub... but just look at all he's accomplished)

GM: Terry Ryan

Edited by AbeFroman

Overrated

Player: Jeter's .316/.388 BARELY offsets how overrated his defense is here. My vote goes to Josh Beckett for pitchers, and Bobby Crosby for hitters (I keep hearing how good he is when healthy, well he's a .244 average, .724 OPS guy in his career)

Manager: Tony LaRussa (very well could be #1 all time)

GM: Brian Sabean of the Giants: All you hear is good things about him, yet he keeps trading young studs for old crap.

Underrated

Player: Lance Berkman, Astros.....just ahead of Jermaine. Whoever is 3rd has a long way to go.

Manager: Ron Gardenhire, Twins: I've thought he's head a deal with the devil for several years now he's been so good, so obviously he's just that damn good. Doesn't get a lot of props outside the midwest either.

GM: Larry Beinfest, Marlins: Just read his resume and you'll see how far and away he wins that award.

Calling Jeter overrated is ignorant.

He has 4 rings and he's posted consistently solid numbers throughout his career. I'd say a .316 career batting average is awfully good. His OPS for his career is also in the mid .800's which for a SS is respectable.

How is he overrated?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)

He has 4 rings and he's posted consistently solid numbers throughout his career. I'd say a .316 career batting average is awfully good. His OPS for his career is also in the mid .800's which for a SS is respectable.

How is he overrated?

Well in my defense, he's a GREAT hitter and does have quite a bit of speed. However, he's been one of the 5 worst defensive shortstops in the game since the first day he put on pinstripes, yet has won a couple gold gloves and is always credited for his great defense. The level of overrated his defense is alone nearly wins him the most overrated player crown. But I just couldn't say he is #1 on the list because of how he hits, and to say he's #1 by far is pretty silly.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)

How is he overrated?

"Respectable" and "Consistently solid" do not equate with being one of the top players in baseball, having his name up in MVP talk, or having the highest salary of any player who's being paid entirely by 1 team in all of baseball. Not to mention his defense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
"Respectable" and "Consistently solid" do not equate with being one of the top players in baseball, having his name up in MVP talk, or having the highest salary of any player who's being paid entirely by 1 team in all of baseball. Not to mention his defense.

I forgot all about that, he's in MVP talk this year :lol: :lol:

Jeter would be the 5th best player in our everyday lineup this year, yet is in MVP talks. Flat out awesome.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Terry Ryan underrated? He is constantly getting mad props for his moves despite going a decade finishing pretty much in last place.

He overpaid Hunter and Stewart. Batista was a complete waste of cash and everybody knew it, and Rondell White sucked all season long with the exception of a couple weeks. How much cash did he waste on Joe Mays and Kyle Lohse?

Overrated:

Player: Crosby (Gammons picked him for MVP,) Beckett, thenDunn (surprised to see a lot Cincy fans hate him)

Manager: Not too sure

GM: Jim Hendry (all his good moves were salary dumps. Usually buys high and sells very low.) Shapiro should hand back his executive of the year award as well. Not too impressed with Theo either.

Underrated

Player: Webb

Coaches and GM: Don't really care

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)

Let me rephrase this, a .316 career average is great. In fact, I can't think of any current Sox player who has a career average near that. It's even higher than Frank's average and he's considered one of the best hitters of the 90's.

Also I'm hearing a lot about how bad his defense is, but what stats back that up? Whenever I've watched him he's always made the plays when he's needed to. Teams don't win 4 world titles with mediocre defense at shortstop.

He's easily a hall of famer even if he retired today.

Jeter has made the overrated list so often and has been talked about bein overrated so much that he, in my mind is no longer overrated, and in fact may be underrated.....if i had to say overrated, jason varitek, aj burnett......underrated is easy....hafner, and jeff francis and other colorado rockies ( holliday, hawpe)....oh and joe nathan still doesnt get the pub that rivera, lidge, papelbon and ryan get.....and over the last 3 years he may have been the best closer in teh game

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
I forgot all about that, he's in MVP talk this year :lol: :lol:

Jeter would be the 5th best player in our everyday lineup this year, yet is in MVP talks. Flat out awesome.

5th best? How do you figure? In fact I would make an argument that if we had a guy like him at the top of our lineup who can steal a base when he needs to and hit for a higher average than anyone else on our roster (.346) would be pretty damn valuable.

I mean are you basing this all on HRs and RBI because I believe his average and runs scored (sans Thome) would be just as good if not better than anyone on our roster. His OBP would also rank first, by the way.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
Let me rephrase this, a .316 career average is great. In fact, I can't think of any current Sox player who has a career average near that. It's even higher than Frank's average and he's considered one of the best hitters of the 90's.

Also I'm hearing a lot about how bad his defense is, but what stats back that up? Whenever I've watched him he's always made the plays when he's needed to. Teams don't win 4 world titles with mediocre defense at shortstop.

He's easily a hall of famer even if he retired today.

I dunno about today, but he's going to finish with over 3,000 hits, 4 rings plus as a starter, and an over .300 average, so he's a HOF lock without question. However, he is still a BAD defender. He's the SS version of Tood Walker.....he makes few errors and easy plays so people love him, but really it's a product of having zero range whatsoever, making a lot of balls that anybody else can get to into base hits.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
5th best? How do you figure? In fact I would make an argument that if we had a guy like him at the top of our lineup who can steal a base when he needs to and hit for a higher average than anyone else on our roster (.346) would be pretty damn valuable.

I mean are you basing this all on HRs and RBI because I believe his average and runs scored (sans Thome) would be just as good if not better than anyone on our roster. His OBP would also rank first, by the way.

Well Crede this year I'm taking over Jeter, despite the fact his OBP still is pretty bad. And Thome (and his 1.050 plus OPS and 34 homers), Konerko (who is a solid defender and rakes, and Dye (ditto), have all been better. Now this year is the only year in Sox history he'd be our 5th best player probably, but I'm trying to make an argument :).

Varitek overrated? Sure he's nothing to write home about at the plate, but it's obvious the way he handles his pitchers that he's a big reason why the sawx were in 1st place during the 1st half of the season and i'm sure it doesnt mean much but you dont earn the title of captain just because the clubhouse thinks you're a nice guy

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
Overrated:

Player: Crosby (Gammons picked him for MVP,) Beckett, thenDunn (surprised to see a lot Cincy fans hate him)

Dunn must get a lot more press than I am aware of, because I have no idea how he could be considered one of the most overrated players in the game. After this year he will have his third 40/100 season at the age of 26 and the only s*** I ever hear about him is from the host on Sportscenter, making some lame joke about how his latest home run hasn't landed yet.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Overrated:

Player: Jeter, and this is the easiest pick on this list.

Manager: Mike Scoscia

GM: RyanMark Shapiro

Underrated:

Player: Jermaine Dye

Manager: Ned Yost

GM: Ned Coletti

fixed :D

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)

How is he overrated?

You can be good hell even great and still be overated... Brian Urlacher was named most overated player in the NFL and he is one of the best if not best MLB in the NFL.

Overrated: Player-(now remember I live in Cardinal land)David Eckstein. All I hear is how he is elite defensively and any team would give up their SS and more for Eckstein. Jeter is up there as well, and David Wright is approaching Jeter levels of overrated ness.

Manager-Tony LaRussa. Even if I wasn't in Cardinal land, I'd think this. He makes a hell of alot of stupid decisions, cant win in the postseason, and his win total is only up there because he gets handed great teams every year.

GM-Probably Cashman.

Underrated:

Player-either Carl Crawford or Lance Berkman.

Manager-Clint Hurdle. Doing good things with the Rockies.

GM-Dave Dombrowski and Larry Beinfest. D.D. is doing great things with the Tigers right now and was also a big part of the 2003 Fish WS team. Beinfest has taken the passed torch from D.D., and got an exciting group of baseball players for vets over 30 and making too much money, turning a group of rookies making $15 million total into wild card contenders.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Overrated: Player-(now remember I live in Cardinal land)David Eckstein. All I hear is how he is elite defensively and any team would give up their SS and more for Eckstein. Jeter is up there as well, and David Wright is approaching Jeter levels of overrated ness.

I really don't think you can put Wright on there, that kid is a developing star.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
I really don't think you can put Wright on there, that kid is a developing star.

Well, I am a Marlins fan remember. But anyway, I saw Wright listed as the 3rd best hitter in baseball...he's not even the best hitter in the NL East, but he's the best hitter in baseball. ESPN is a shrine to him.

I think Wright will make a few all star teams. But, in terms of skill and potential, Ryan Zimmerman looks to be the exact same player. Except Zimmerman plays good defense, something Wright does not.

He gets protection from a great lineup. But still, any day of the week, there are more than a few 3B I'd take over David Wright.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Well, I am a Marlins fan remember. But anyway, I saw Wright listed as the 3rd best hitter in baseball...he's not even the best hitter in the NL East, but he's the best hitter in baseball. ESPN is a shrine to him.

I think Wright will make a few all star teams. But, in terms of skill and potential, Ryan Zimmerman looks to be the exact same player. Except Zimmerman plays good defense, something Wright does not.

He gets protection from a great lineup. But still, any day of the week, there are more than a few 3B I'd take over David Wright.

As of right now, Wright isn't even the best hitter on his own team. I was a HUGE fan of Wright's up until the All-Star Game, Fox/MLB went way overboard in hyping him, hell they spent an entire inning interviewing his dad. I now can not stand him.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:58 AM)

Well Miggy Cabrera is even worse defensively and their offense is similar. So besides Eric Chavez and Scott Rolen its hard to find a 3B that is definitely better than him. Take A-Rod out of New York and he would be probably but he probably would be a SS too though.

Miggy is maybe a better pure hitter but not by much and less power also worse defensively. Ryan Zimmerman is definitely better defensively but he isnt as much of a threat with the bat as Miggy or Wright. Also I think all 3 are better than Chipper Jones now.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)

Okay, that's going a little too far. However, I have a really hard time griping about a guy that currently has a .314/.388/.552 statline, especially when he is only 23.

Zimmerman isn't quite the same player though. He doesn't have as much power as Wright, and so far Wright is a little better in terms of contact as well.

Edited by ZoomSlowik