Who, in your opinion is...

rangercal

I'm with Boz on Jeter. Jeter is like the Kobe Bryant of MLB (although Kobe himself is a big reason he's so hated). Its just become hip and cool to hate on Jeter for some reason. The guy has the most hits in all of baseball since 1996. Yes. 1996. He consistently hits anywhere from as low as .295 to as high as .346 this season EVERY year. OBP is always good. He has decent pop for the position he plays. He's one of the best in baseball when it comes to fighting off tough pitches and making pitchers work. Playoffs? Do I even have to talk about what this guy does in October? Now, yes, his defense is overrated. He wouldn't sniff a GG if he played anywhere else but NY. But c'mon, the guy has made some pretty amazing plays in the field over the years. The play he made against Oakland in game 3 of the LDS in 2001 is legendary. If Jeter is overrated, then overrated is really, really good in this case.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
Well Miggy Cabrera is even worse defensively and their offense is similar. So besides Eric Chavez and Scott Rolen its hard to find a 3B that is definitely better than him. Take A-Rod out of New York and he would be probably but he probably would be a SS too though.

Miggy is maybe a better pure hitter but not by much and less power also worse defensively. Ryan Zimmerman is definitely better defensively but he isnt as much of a threat with the bat as Miggy or Wright. Also I think all 3 are better than Chipper Jones now.

Cabrera is actually better than Wright defensively. Cabrera is the 5th best defensive 3B in the NL, Wright is near the bottom. Thats according to Baseball Prospectus. As far as conventional stats, they are equal in errors with Cabs having more chances, Cabs has a .955 F% to Wrights .953, Cabs has a 2.63 range factor to Wrights 2.47, and .744 zone rating to Wrights .742. Cabs also has a better arm.

And I'd venture to guess that Cabrera is a much better hitter than Wright.

Cabs: .336/.430/.554 this year, .308/.380/.529 career

Wright: .314/.388/.552 this year, .306/.377/.533 career

Cabs has a higher slg% despite 5 fewer homeruns, and Cabs also has much less protection. Wright K's more and walks less.

As for my comparisson of Wright to Zimmerman, Zimmerman is putting up the same stats that Wright did at the same age. And he plays better defense.

Cabs is also younger by 5 months, and has almost 700 more at bats. He was a 20 year old rookie in a pennant race, which has skewed his stats somewhat.

Edited by MarlinFan84

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
As of right now, Wright isn't even the best hitter on his own team. I was a HUGE fan of Wright's up until the All-Star Game, Fox/MLB went way overboard in hyping him, hell they spent an entire inning interviewing his dad. I now can not stand him.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's a joke that a lot of people think he's the MVP. Ever hear of Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard? When Jeter retires he will pass the torch to wright. God I hate New York.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 05:10 AM)
Cabrera is actually better than Wright defensively. Cabrera is the 5th best defensive 3B in the NL, Wright is near the bottom. Thats according to Baseball Prospectus. As far as conventional stats, they are equal in errors with Cabs having more chances, Cabs has a .955 F% to Wrights .953, Cabs has a 2.63 range factor to Wrights 2.47, and .744 zone rating to Wrights .742. Cabs also has a better arm.

And I'd venture to guess that Cabrera is a much better hitter than Wright.

Cabs: .336/.430/.554 this year, .308/.380/.529 career

Wright: .314/.388/.552 this year, .306/.377/.533 career

Cabs has a higher slg% despite 5 fewer homeruns, and Cabs also has much less protection. Wright K's more and walks less.

As for my comparisson of Wright to Zimmerman, Zimmerman is putting up the same stats that Wright did at the same age. And he plays better defense.

Cabs is also younger by 5 months, and has almost 700 more at bats. He was a 20 year old rookie in a pennant race, which has skewed his stats somewhat.

Well defensive stats arent really all that great and I consider myself a baseball fan as in I watch as much as possible so ive seen lots of Zimmerman, Wright, and Cabrera. And regardless what the stats say Cabrera is not a good defender and ill take Wright over him at the hot corner. They both arent that good but Cabrera comes off being lazy sometimes. Zimmerman is a great defender but he isnt the threat that Wright/Cabrera are with the bat. Also Miggy hits more doubles which gives him the higher slugging% but ill take the 5 extra HR's which are guaranteed runs. Also Wright is a much better baserunner and has stolen 5 more bases and caught 1 less time than miggy doing it.

Underrated player: Chase Utley. In a fantasy league I took him in the 2nd round, and someone else thought I was crazy. Has improved each season he's been in the big leagues, and he doesn't get many plaudits, like a Ryan Howard.

Underrated manager: Joe Girardi. What that guy has done with their young pitching is quite extrodinary.

Underrated General Manager: Terry Ryan. shows how important good young pitching is.

Overrated Player: Kerry Wood.

Overrated Manager: Felipe Alou.

Overrated General Manager: Bill Bavasi. Still living off what he did for the Angels, and has put the Mariners into a terrible position with some of the contracts he has offered. But it was very tempting to throw in Brian Sabean as well.

There's alot but I'll just name at LEAST two.

Underrated player: David DeJesus/Chris Young

Underrated manager: Joe Girardi/Jerry Narron

Underrated General Manager: Terry Ryan/Dayton Moore (thanks to him the Royals future looks WAY better)

Overrated Player: Kerry Wood/Barry Zito

Overrated Manager: Dusty Baker

Overrated General Manager: Billy Beene (nuff said)

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
Calling Jeter overrated is ignorant.

He has 4 rings and he's posted consistently solid numbers throughout his career. I'd say a .316 career batting average is awfully good. His OPS for his career is also in the mid .800's which for a SS is respectable.

How is he overrated?

I agree. He has the 4th best batting avg in yankees history. You are talking about a franchise that has arguably produced the best players over time. He is not overrated.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
As of right now, Wright isn't even the best hitter on his own team. I was a HUGE fan of Wright's up until the All-Star Game, Fox/MLB went way overboard in hyping him, hell they spent an entire inning interviewing his dad. I now can not stand him.

I talked about that the day after the ASG. They talked about him every single half-inning. They had to be sure to at least mention his name each time, unless they had full piece on him (like his dad, as you said, or where he grew up, or how he's adjusting to such a major market). It was disgusting. He got 10x as much press as any other player.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
I talked about that the day after the ASG. They talked about him every single half-inning. They had to be sure to at least mention his name each time, unless they had full piece on him (like his dad, as you said, or where he grew up, or how he's adjusting to such a major market). It was disgusting. He got 10x as much press as any other player.

He is a good young player, but the New York media overdid it that night for sure. I think even he realized it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
A couple months ago, anyone would've taken Miguel Cabrera over any young player in baseball. Now after enough fluffing from ESPN, Wright is better than Cabrera?

They are somewhat even. Miggy I think is the more talented player but at the same time he seems to have a pretty negative attitude and sometimes comes off as lazy. Also Wright has shown to be a great clubhouse guy and also has hit for more power.

If I had to choose between the 2 to start a franchise I think I would probably take Miggy though given his talent and ceiling.. but right now ill take Wright.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
They are somewhat even. Miggy I think is the more talented player but at the same time he seems to have a pretty negative attitude and sometimes comes off as lazy. Also Wright has shown to be a great clubhouse guy and also has hit for more power.

If I had to choose between the 2 to start a franchise I think I would probably take Miggy though given his talent and ceiling.. but right now ill take Wright.

That's reasonable, and I can see your point. But, I think you do have to take into account the protection that Wright gets and the fact that Miggy plays in a bigger park (though they're both big, but I think Florida is bigger).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
My underrated player would be Chris Capuano oh how I love him so. I truely believe if you get this guy out of Milwaukee he'll be even better than he already is, anyone who can put up a 132:31 K:BB has a place in my rotation.

Ahhh damn I knew I forgot to mention somebody. That guy is spectacular, and besides being a lefty that has an incredible K/BB ratio, he has that great pickoff move so he eliminates stolen bases and can make it hard to even hit and run. That is, when runners actually do get on base on him.

Overrated

Player: Josh Beckett - Red Sox

Manager: Joe Torre - Yankees

GM: Billy Beane - A's

Underrated

Player: Jermaine Dye - White Sox

Manager: Joe Girardi - Marlins (they were supposed to have lost well over 100 games, yet they're still in the WC race 5.5 back, and honestly i think they have the best pitching in the Bigs, even though they're all incredibly young they might possibly be moving to a 6 man rotation to keep all their arms fresh)

GM: Larry Beinfest / the whole Marlins FO sans Loria - Marlins

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did somebody in this thread actually say Adam Dunn is overrated?? I'll just ignore that ignorance.....he's having an incredible season and without him, the Reds are probably 10 games under .500 instead of 4 over.

Yes I said it, and it's due to BP and over stat rags creating stats like EqA and using BABIP as an excuse for his crappy average.

I saw him play in cincy, and he was terrible. The fans were (suprisingly) all over him (kind suprised because their scoreboard shows OBP and SLG%.)

One poster here called him one of the top ten "hitters" of the game. The fact that someone would make that claim makes him very overrated. He'd rather try to get a walk than knock in a run. You don't have to swing for the f***ing river every time you're at the plate.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 04:39 AM)
I saw him play in cincy, and he was terrible. The fans were (suprisingly) all over him (kind suprised because their scoreboard shows OBP and SLG%.)

Heh, you talking about this year? Dunn was absolutely shut down by Sox pitching in that series. Him and Griffey Jr, IIRC.

And you really can't b**** about his batting average this year -- even though it is the 'weakest' (for lack of a better word) of the three (BA, OBP, SLG) -- he's at .258 right now.

He's even hitting well with RISP, something he usually doesn't do. He's got an OPS over 1.000 with RISP and with RISP and two outs.

His only real problem is that he's brutal defensively in LF; they probably should sell high on Hatteberg and stick Dunn there for good.