To have any chance of winning the division...

Harry&JimmyRocked

If the Sox can take 7 of 10 for the remainder of the year vs the Tigers, that would be huge. That is 2-1, 3-1, and 2-1 for the next three series. It would shave four games off the lead with only a 4 game difference in the loss column. The other games would have to be made up vs the other teams.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 07:46 AM)
I don't care about the division. (The Wild Card has won the WS quite a bit recently.) Just continue to play better and better and win series. The more important heads-up games are probably against the Twins.

First off, that Wild Card World Series crap is annoying.

And we do need to sweep Detroit to have any shot at the division, but we must take 2/3, or else we're completely screwed.

The matchups are good for this series...Verlander/Count, Buerhle/Rogers, Miner/Garcia....a sweep is possible.

tonight will be competitive...and Verlander missed his last start.

Tomorrow, Kenny has been struggling, and hopefully Mark can turn it around.

Sunday, Garcia coming off a good start...basically...

So we should have a chance to win all 3. Get 'er Done.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
First off, that Wild Card World Series crap is annoying.

And we do need to sweep Detroit to have any shot at the division, but we must take 2/3, or else we're completely screwed.

If I can be assured of the possibility of getting into the playoff to obtain your so-called "Wild Card World Series Crap", I will take it in a heartbeat.

Get into the playoff first, either as the divisional leader or the wild card, then we'll talk about how crappy the 2006 World Series trophy is going to be.

QUOTE(S720 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
If I can be assured of the possibility of getting into the playoff to obtain your so-called "Wild Card World Series Crap", I will take it in a heartbeat.

Get into the playoff first, either as the divisional leader or the wild card, then we'll talk about how crappy the 2006 World Series trophy is going to be.

No, What I meant was I am tired of people saying "WIN THE WILD CARD CAUSE THE WILD CARD ALWAYS WINS THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!111" That's what is annoying, not actually winning the Wild Card.

A sweep sure would be nice. 2 out of 3 only gains one game. I'm not discountlng the division...but a sweep would be nice on a few different levels...obviously gaining 3 games...but also, and to me the biggest...maybe the Tiggers would start to feel the squeeze a little. A ten game lead is all fine and cozy...but get it down to 4 or 5...and let's see how the tiggers respond.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
No, What I meant was I am tired of people saying "WIN THE WILD CARD CAUSE THE WILD CARD ALWAYS WINS THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!111" That's what is annoying, not actually winning the Wild Card.

im pretty sure nobody said that....his point was that the only difference between wild card or division is yankees or As in the first round

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:45 AM)
The White Sox MUST sweep detriot this weekend

it would get it down to 5.5 games with around 50 to go

So if we lose 1 game this weekend, we are mathmatically inelgible for the Central crown?? This division is far from over, and nothing is going to be decided this weekend.

To the tune of "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad," by Meat Loaf:

And all I can do is keep on telling you...

I want you

I need you

But there ain't no way Detroit's gonna fall through

So don't... be... sad

'Cause two out of three ain't bad

So just... be... glad...

'Cause two out of three ain't bad

Freddy, we can talk all night.... COUGH, ahem...

Anyhoo, two out of three served us well last year and it will serve us well again this year. I'm always satsified with that result.

Stay the course, baby, stay the course!

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)

What the hell is so annoying about it anyway? The point is, the Wild Card team has as good a chance as any to win the World Series as evident by the amazing playoff success the WC winning team has had in recent years.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Winning in the playoffs is all about momentum. The reason so many WC teams had won the WS is because they had a lot of momentum going into the playoffs since they had to fight through a tight race to get there. If that is what happens to us, then I'd be fine with it.

However, if we do win the division, it's going to be just as tight. We'll be carrying that momentum regardless.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
Winning in the playoffs is all about momentum. The reason so many WC teams had won the WS is because they had a lot of momentum going into the playoffs since they had to fight through a tight race to get there. If that is what happens to us, then I'd be fine with it.

Exactly, there is validity to the WC/WS s***. You get a team going into the playoffs on a roll like most wild card winners are and they can fly through the playoffs. The Sox got white hot at the end of the regular season last year and look what they did once they hit the playoffs, 11-1.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
What the hell is so annoying about it anyway? The point is, the Wild Card team has as good a chance as any to win the World Series as evident by the amazing playoff success the WC winning team has had in recent years.

Because all I heard from everyone last year was how Boston was going to Dominate because the WIld Card had won like the previous four world series. People just go with these stupid patterns and they think they have to be true.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Because all I heard from everyone last year was how Boston was going to Dominate because the WIld Card had won like the previous four world series. People just go with these stupid patterns and they think they have to be true.

I believe Ben Franklin once said, "Those who do not learn from their history, are doomed to repeat it."

There is obviously a reason why so many wild cards win the World Series, so it just goes to reason that even if we get in as the Wild Card we have a pretty damned good chance of winning it all.

Past WC Teams to make the WS (since 95):

2005 - HOU

2004 - BOS*

2003 - FLA*

2002 - LAA* & SF

2000 - NYM

1997 - FLA*

Actually I like the Sox taking the WC. That more than likely sends Detroit to the West Coast for a few games in the ALDS, while the Sox take on the Yanks or Sawks.

Edited by RME JICO

All I want to see is the Sox put some pressure on the Tigers for the next two months. They haven't played with pressure yet all year because there really is no pressure until the last two months of the season. They play great playing loose and letting it fly. Put pressure on guys who've never been here before and then see how they do. I'm not saying they'll fold...but it could knock them off their stride.